Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 23, 2009   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Some kind of record

It took deer more than a week to find my newly planted strawberries and destroy them. I put in my first four tomato plants last night and in the morning two were chewed off...Deer? so I replaced the plants, put up fencing and planted a second area, put up a fence, came back TWO HOURS later and two plants were chewed down...New record...Chipmunks! Out came the cut off 2-liter bottles for those durn fuzzy cutworms!
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2009   #2
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

You need to have a talk with your critters. Seriously. I used to suggest this as a sort of footnote, but lately whenever I suggest it to real live people, they either say it worked for them, or they know someone who does it.

And before anyone starts with the California jokes, I'm originally from the Garden State myself, and I got the idea from a book by an Australian, Michael Roads.

Basically, you have a talk with the critters who are eating your garden and you establish boundaries. This is my garden; anything outside this area is yours. Or else.(Of course, you also have a fence or some other way of marking boundaries/territory.)

IIRC, Roads said he bought property where the previous owners had been unable to have a garden inside a fenced area because the wallabies ate everything, so he had this talk and was able to garden. Then he sold the land and told the new owners they would have to negotiate a new contract with the wallabies. They didn't; the wallabies ate the garden.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote