Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 15, 2007   #16
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

O.K. here are some pics from last night.....

If you can't tell the bottom of the red pepper is getting dried up looking....

Here's some not quite yellow enough (I guess) bananna peppers....

and then just for the heck of it...

harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #17
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Those pictures look great! Your Jimmy Nardello is plenty prolific.

Last edited by feldon30; June 15, 2007 at 10:22 AM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #18
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Well I had to goggle Jimmy Nardello, that plant is a Bonnie Plant labeled simply Cayenne Peppers. Are they the same or different, I realize they look the same. Actually here is the tag....

Old June 15, 2007   #19
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Actually, I meant the first picture. The elongated peppers.

Jimmy Nardello is a very productive, elongated sweet pepper. I've got 4 plants of it. I have not seen plants of it in the wild. Only from online stores. I started seeds of it.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old June 15, 2007   #20
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

While we are discussing peppers, how do you know when green or red bell peppers are ready to be picked?
sooby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #21
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Aside from the variety Permagreen (very hard to find), and an obscure recent Stokes hybrid whose name escapes me, there are no green bell peppers - they are just on their way to their final ripe color. The vitamin content and sweetness skyrocket when they go from green to....yellow, orange, red, brown, etc. Some recent hybrids go through several color changes on their way to red (Blue Jay or Islander). All depends upon the variety (it is in the genes!).
Old June 15, 2007   #22
sooby77
Tomatovillian™

So basically, when the bell pepper is at a good size (while still green), it can be harvested, or maybe wait until the desired color?
sooby77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #23
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Yep - that's right. Same with Eggplant - you can pick them when they are the size you like (though if they go yellow, it is good for seed saving only!). Once we realized how much better (sweeter, richer flavor) ripe (as in red, yellow, the ripe color) peppers are, we really don't pick any that are green or unripe - we let them go (in our climate, it happens soon enough!).
Old June 16, 2007   #24
elkwc36
Tomatovillian™

Will add my 2 cents. I was raised in NM on their peppers. Chilies, jalapeno's and cayenne's. My experiences are a lot like Jeanne's. The only peppers that were allowed to turn red were the ones they were going to dry or you were going to save seeds from. Whether for eating or roasting the rest were picked green with maybe some red stripes starting. And that is still how I pick mine. Now on bells I start when they are green but some will turn colors. It is all just a preference. But when one starts drying it will get tougher and to me not have the flavor. The cayenne in the picture is drying to me and almost past eating stage. JMO. Jay
elkwc36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2007   #25
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

harleysilo, that sounds pickable to me. What does it look like compared to the picture on the seed pack?
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2007   #26
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkwc36 View Post
Will add my 2 cents. I was raised in NM on their peppers. Chilies, jalapeno's and cayenne's. My experiences are a lot like Jeanne's. The only peppers that were allowed to turn red were the ones they were going to dry or you were going to save seeds from. Whether for eating or roasting the rest were picked green with maybe some red stripes starting. And that is still how I pick mine. Now on bells I start when they are green but some will turn colors. It is all just a preference. But when one starts drying it will get tougher and to me not have the flavor. The cayenne in the picture is drying to me and almost past eating stage. JMO. Jay
I think I am of this train of thought. The red cayenne is turning red and at the same time "drying" itself on the plant. Tough and leathery.
Old June 17, 2007   #27
organichris
Tomatovillian™

As I stated earlier, I prefer to let all my peppers turn red, particularly when they are eaten fresh. And although the flavor does change, I don't think it "loses" its flavor per se. It only loses the green chlorophyll taste. But I will say this: some hot peppers must be allowed to change color for the pepper to exhibit its characteristic texture and flavor. Take habaneros for instance, unless they change orange or red they're just not the same. Green ones are still hot and have that habanero smell and taste, but they just don't compare to the flavor and juicy soft texture of ripe one.

But if you are pickling your peppers, you may want to pick them green, especially if you like a bit of a crunch to them. Sometimes ripe peppers can be a bit soft when pickled.
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2007   #28
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Here's a ripeness guide.

Jimmy Nardello

Jimmy Nardello, Golden Marconi, Jalapeño

In my experience, Peppers don't significantly ripen up indoors. If they have some streaks of brown or green, those will go away in a few days.
Old June 21, 2007   #29
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

Nice! Thanks! Looks Like I've got several more weeks!
Old June 24, 2007   #30
harleysilo
Tomatovillian™

O.k. so several of my "Chile Picante Cayenne peppers" were nice and red so I picked them. They have been very hot green, so I expected the worst. After munching on an entire pepper I was disapointed to discover they aren't at all hot once ripe...... wha'ts up with that?