Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 6, 2013   #1
grower45212
Tomatovillian™

Default first big beef stolen by a masked bandit.....

My first big beef tomato of the season and it was nice , no blemishes, beautiful pinkish red, I was eying it for picking the next day and I had visions of making a BLT with it.......... too bad a masked bandit (raccoon) made off with it , he didn't leave anything, the nerve of these varmints .....all he left me was a trail of paw prints .
I did get even though ...... I set my havahart trap for him. he left town in the back of a garbage truck.
No sign of any other bandits for a couple of days, even though I still have my havahart trap set . maybe the rest of his gang got the message
grower45212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2013   #2
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Oh no. My deepest sympathies...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #3
grower45212
Tomatovillian™

well, another ready to pick big beef fell victim to the masked bandits buddies.
they managed to avoid my havahart trap.......it's been two nights since the great tomato robbery and still no bandit in my trap. still my trap is set and ready for these bandito's if they return
Old July 9, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Hoping they don't. I chased a rat out of my garden yesterday, and gophers plague me every year. Then there are the voles and mice, squirrels and rabbits.

I guess I am lucky though, because I don't have raccoons or chipmunks. .....or elephants.

Beehive fence for elephants

Always look at the bright side.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

An elephant might be quite a sight in anyone's garden... Let's be thankful there is still life on this Earth

I am happy not to have any extra visitors on my balcony - but my parents are often plagued with squirrels and hares.... So far no tomato damage, they seem to gravitate towards flower bulbs and apple trees. To each their own..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #6
Claudia
Tomatovillian™

If it is close to ripe I am picking it!! We fight deer, squirrels, raccoons, possums, and chipmunks. We just put up chicken wire around our tomato plants. The deer picked us clean last week of all our green tomatoes.
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #7
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Feeling for you, pal.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Hoping they don't. I chased a rat out of my garden yesterday, and gophers plague me every year. Then there are the voles and mice, squirrels and rabbits.

I guess I am lucky though, because I don't have raccoons or chipmunks. .....or elephants.

Beehive fence for elephants

Always look at the bright side.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2013   #9
grower45212
Tomatovillian™

no visitors last night.....bandits are on the lamb
Old July 10, 2013   #10
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Sorry to hear of the loss. I can only imagine how much of a let down it was. I've got my very first Krim turning color and I think it'll be ready to pick in another week. I'd be majorly bummed if it was eaten before I picked it!

I'm gardening aloft, so I don't have to worry about deer or raccoon. But I've got a sparrow's nest about 10' away and have noticed divots in my mulch where they were foraging for worms. Mockingbirds are apparently a type of bird that will peck away at a tomato for the fluid. And they are around... So, I slipped a section of nylon over the ripening tomato in hope of protecting it until fully ripe.

I've seen some people put up decoys. You can get some bright red fishing buoys and string them up near your tomato plants. The birds will be attracted by the exceptional bright red, peck at them, then realize that they're nothing to eat. This can convince them that the whole area is pointless and they'll move on.
Old July 20, 2013   #11
grower45212
Tomatovillian™

well, the bandits buddies stopped back in for a refill of my tomatoes.......too bad they got my trap with cat food as the bait. In the past week I've trapped 2 juvenile males, 2 juvenile females and 1 full grown male.......bah, they have to get thinned out sooner or later.....
Old July 20, 2013   #12
grower45212
Tomatovillian™

I'm going to keep my trap set all summer if I have to .........
Old July 22, 2013   #13
grower45212
Tomatovillian™

had a "BIG OLE POSSUM" visit my patch and trap last night.....I drove him 5 miles and turned him loose......I'm unsure if that was smart. Hopefully he will not find his way back to my patch
so many varmints, so little patch.....
Old July 22, 2013   #14
peppero
Tomatovillian™

my sympathies to you. i had a small patch of sweet corn and, you guessed it the masked bandit got it all. one year i trapped 8 coons, several possums and 14 skunks. things have quieted down considerably except for the local armadillo. is that a 750 or a 900?

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #15
grower45212
Tomatovillian™

79 kawasaki kz 1000 MK ll turbocharged