Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 7, 2021   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Going thru the Airport with a Plant

I don't remember this being discussed or never had need to pay attention ...

My son is having spring vacation with friends in San Diego (one is an ICU nurse, nuff said about this). Two of the ladies like flower gardening.
Perhaps they wander past a garden center (at my suggestion) Would they be able to carry a plant onboard, or are there restrictions? How would this count towards their carry on baggage allowance? Any tips on travel or unusual nurseries in the area?

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021   #2
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

The Carlsbad flower fields are within a half hour/ hour drive from downtown SD. Armstrong Garden Centers is a local chain that have a nice assortment of what grows locally. I think Ace Mega Succulents will really give you that surf, van life vibe souvenir that screams SoCal (EDIT: Call ahead for the location and a appointment, no walk ins due to covid). Plus succulents can be small and be stashed in a carry on. I never had a problem transporting plants on domestic flights in carry on.

Last edited by shatbox; March 8, 2021 at 12:13 AM. Reason: links
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021   #3
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatbox View Post
The Carlsbad flower fields are within a half hour/ hour drive from downtown SD. Armstrong Garden Centers is a local chain that have a nice assortment of what grows locally. I think Ace Mega Succulents will really give you that surf, van life vibe souvenir that screams SoCal (EDIT: Call ahead for the location and a appointment, no walk ins due to covid). Plus succulents can be small and be stashed in a carry on. I never had a problem transporting plants on domestic flights in carry on.
So long as its not one of the quarantined items like citrus, I don't see why getting out of Cali should be a problem.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I never had a problem on domestic flights, either.

International can be a problem, but I regularly took bags of tulip bulbs to Baghdad, and they never had an issue. Of course, they were fighting a major insurgency at the time, so they were a bit distracted.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021   #5
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. for the list. I sent a text with the info an we'll see if they go plant shopping.I did get a short video of a sea otter in return, was not expecting that!

Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2021   #6
bjbebs
Tomatovillian™

Just got back from AZ. In my backpack, inside a paper sack I brought bare root jade plant cuttings, barely rooted tomato plants and a cell pack of pepper plants. I've done this a few times. After getting thru TSA the sack comes out and gets organized. Flew out of St.Louis and smaller regional airports. Usually no questions asked. Coming out of Boston, headed home after a wedding with a potted plant. Got thru TSA but was told no go at the gate. No argument, boarded without the plant. That's the last time we flew Delta.
bjbebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2021   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

If I went through an airport with Robert, we'd be late for the flight, him being hounded for autographs.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote