Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 24, 2013   #1
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Default Beautiful heirloom with taste

I am looking for nice/attractive heirloom that would be a large 1 lb tomato with great taste. I have seen the "Vintage Wine" advertised, but I know nothing about this. I like the red and gold overlayed/striped look especially. Any suggestions from you experts out there??? thankyou
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #2
tomtailor
Tomatovillian™

For me, "Vintage Wine" is one of the worst tasting tomatoes.
tomtailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

There are so many varieties out there that fill that bill. Some of my favorite large good looking tomatoes are Virginia Sweets, Brandywine Sudduth's, Brandywine Cowlicks, KBX, Barlow Jap, Giant Belgium and Stump of the World. Two large beautiful black tomatoes are JD's Special C Tex and Gary O' Sena.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #4
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Mong, Cuostralee, Neves Azorean Red, Mortgage Lifter, Rose.

mater
tomatoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #5
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

vintage wine

i don't believe they averaged 1 lb though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VWinecomp.JPG (25.2 KB, 36 views)

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #6
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Vintage Wine

They are large tomatoes, and I have not had any taste complaints either, and personally mine are as good as some other varieties mentioned on the thread. The plant in the pic had tomatoes so packed a few molded from the tight contact, several were over a 1lb. Another variety of like types,stripes and taste wise that is, is Chocolate Stripes, taste good and are fun to look at too.
Personally for me in AK, out of 49 varieties this year, a nice Caspian Pink steals the show, they taste good and produce these flattened huge slabs consistantly, a very pretty beefsteak, and overall yield is tops.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SANY0016.jpg (259.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg SANY0017.jpg (296.5 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by AKmark; July 25, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #7
FaithHopeLove
Tomatovillian™

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, you have to find out what works for you! So, in my opinion if you like the looks of Vintage Wine order seeds and see if you like the taste. I personally haven't tried it but maybe you will!
FaithHopeLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Virginia Sweets and Lucky Cross are both beautiful and large bi-colors with good taste.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #9
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed of Somis View Post
I am looking for nice/attractive heirloom that would be a large 1 lb tomato with great taste. I have seen the "Vintage Wine" advertised, but I know nothing about this. I like the red and gold overlayed/striped look especially. Any suggestions from you experts out there??? thankyou
If you are looking for an attractive red/yellow bicolor in excess of one pound with good taste, you should consider:

Big Rainbow: Taste is very good and I have found the fruit to be very uniform beafsteak with no cracking. Also looks beautiful when sliced. Mine average about 1 lb

Hillbilly PL: These average a bit bigger than Big Rainbow and are a bit flatter beafsteak. I have had some problems with cracking and the fruit tends to be less uniform in shape, but is very attractive when sliced. Many people have problems with this variety being mealy, but for me they taste great. It has been suggested that irregular or inconsistent water is a problem for this, but if you live in SoCal it shouldn't be a problem because you can control irrigation.

Pineapple is another nice one, but won't come close to averaging 1 lb., in my experience. You might get a couple 1 lb, but most will be 12 oz +/-.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote