Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2013   #1
ErieDeare
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomatoes Vines have NO Blossoms

For some reason I am not getting any blossoms on my tomatoes, I was getting them earlier and what I did have got tomatoes. But I have not got any for a few weeks now and I do not know way.

We have been getting rain almost every week around a inch. Last week we had extreme heat in the 90's with a heat index of 105, would this have something to do with it?

I am going all organic and have not added fertilizer since Spring, and that was Organic Fertilizer. I am thinking about giving my garden a brew of Molasses-Based, Premium Crafted Dry Blend of Organic Nutrients Earth Tonic ( Compost Tea) and Kelp, along with Sea-90 from SeaAgri. or some Organic Fish Hydrolysate Fertilizerfrom Neotune's Harvest.

What do you recumind doing?

I have never had this problem before, I don't know if it is because of the leaf compost that I added last Fall or the compost that I added this Spring? I did have a Soil Test done on it this Spring and did what they told me to add.
ErieDeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I'm having the same issue and am chalking it up to the weather. Our heat wave finally broke and night time temps are supposed to be lower for at least the next week, so I'm hoping for a bit of a turn-around.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Hi Erie,
Most nightshades , which tomatoes are, won't set fruit if the overnight temp is above 70*F because the pollen just clumps, except some of the bred for heat varieties. Heat is probably the issue here.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #4
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

blossom drop due to heat. It stinks but it happens to the best of us.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Even my older plants are still setting even though we haven't had a night below 70 in a long time. I keep using the Texas Tomato Food every week and they keep setting. Not like they did in the spring but still fairly good for this time of the year. With all the rain we have been having the day time highs rarely get beyond 95 and on the really rainy days it will stay in the 80s; but the downside of that is the humidity which is staying near 100%.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #6
Northcoast99
Tomatovillian™

I live on the shore of erie, so our weather is the same... I have blossoms but no fruit on my cherry plants.
My peppers are also pretty shabby and I pulled up a bunch that hardly had any root system.
Rain and cooler summer must be the issue
last year during the heat and drought, my plants were wonderful.
Northcoast99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #7
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I keep on reading about kelp. I so want to try it. Supposedly it boosts plant growth and setting new flowers. It "contains natural antibiotics that can help keep harmful bacteria at bay", so can be sprayed as well.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”

Last edited by efisakov; July 23, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2013   #8
sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Hi, I live in Florida and also have this problem.
I only had three tomatoes so far and they split and did not ripen.
Now I have no blossoms either.
I guess they are saying the heat or blossom rot. Also I was told it could be root rot-but I control the watering and they are in pots.
I hope we have better luck and more tomatoes develop!!!!
sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2013   #9
kevn357
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErieDeare View Post
For some reason I am not getting any blossoms on my tomatoes, I was getting them earlier and what I did have got tomatoes. But I have not got any for a few weeks now and I do not know way.

We have been getting rain almost every week around a inch. Last week we had extreme heat in the 90's with a heat index of 105, would this have something to do with it?

I am going all organic and have not added fertilizer since Spring, and that was Organic Fertilizer. I am thinking about giving my garden a brew of Molasses-Based, Premium Crafted Dry Blend of Organic Nutrients Earth Tonic ( Compost Tea) and Kelp, along with Sea-90 from SeaAgri. or some Organic Fish Hydrolysate Fertilizerfrom Neotune's Harvest.

What do you recumind doing?

I have never had this problem before, I don't know if it is because of the leaf compost that I added last Fall or the compost that I added this Spring? I did have a Soil Test done on it this Spring and did what they told me to add.
Well you have lots of rain and high temps. You also haven't fertilized since Spring... That is probably why you haven't had this problem before.
Try to be consistent when mother nature isn't... Fertilize. Adding compost while not growing doesn't mean you don't need to feed your plants especially after lots of rain. Spoil them and give them a treat. Organic means too many things... Leaf compost is miniscule on the food scale...
kevn357 is offline   Reply With Quote