Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 1, 2013   #1
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Default My first tomato this year!

Was surprised this morning to find this little guy popping out of its Wall o Waters. It's a Costoluto Genovese (thanks again, Sun City Linda )

All I'm learning this year is beginning to pay off...

Dak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2013   #2
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

wow, what a nice looking plant! What are the temps out your way these days? I'm hoping to start a few early ones in my yard in WOWs soon.
Old April 1, 2013   #3
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful!!! I await with bated breath Mothers Day to plant mine outside!
Old April 1, 2013   #4
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! The daytime temperatures have been progressively getting nicer, in the 70's to the 80's, but nights have been cool.

I put my tomatoes in the ground towards the end of February. The first night they were in, we had a cold snap, it got down to 27. The panels of water in the Wall o Waters were frozen solid, but my tomatoes inside were fine! (Wall o waters does recommend you set up the Wall o Waters for about a week before you put your plants in, to warm up the soil)

More recently the night temps have been in the low 40's to the 50's, though still a possibility we could freeze again.
Old April 2, 2013   #5
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Congrats, Dak.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #6
Greenredbean
Tomatovillian™

Once I saw the subject, I immediately clicked to check the location for this. Well, little surprise, California weather looks indeed excellent for gardening throughout the year. I am just getting my seeds planted Friday, as the Spring is rather late to arrrive this year in UK. Your tomato is looking healthy and very cute, congratulations, how big is the rest of the batch that you are cultivating? I also think that you could seriously consider big poster printing for that spacy image , it's like a natural decoration. What is that green material around the plant though, is that serving a particular purpose?

Last edited by Greenredbean; April 24, 2013 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Greenredbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

That is frost protection

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #8
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Seeing the first fruit set of the season is so exciting! Congratulations and here's to many more little 'maters to come!

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013   #9
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenredbean View Post
Once I saw the subject, I immediately clicked to check the location for this. Well, little surprise, California weather looks indeed excellent for gardening throughout the year. I am just getting my seeds planted Friday, as the Spring is rather late to arrrive this year in UK. Your tomato is looking healthy and very cute, congratulations, how big is the rest of the batch that you are cultivating? I also think that you could seriously consider big poster printing for that spacy image , it's like a natural decoration. What is that green material around the plant though, is that serving a particular purpose?
Yes, that green material is frost protection, it's called a Wall o Water, works really well.

I finally removed them yesterday and had the painful job of pruning suckers along the bottom, one downside of the Wall of Waters is you don't have access to how the plant is growing down below.
Old April 24, 2013   #10
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on the little tomato! I think I might check out wall o water, this spring has been usually cold for Texas, I might use them next year.
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #11
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

That first one is always such a thrill !
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2013   #12
Greenredbean
Tomatovillian™

Ok, got it! We use a different term and shape for something that serves the same purpose. It apparently did indeed work well for you, so good job and keep those photos coming, I would definitely enjoy watching the progress while catching up .
Old April 28, 2013   #13
Dak
Tomatovillian™

Just an update, can almost taste my first BLT.
Old April 28, 2013   #14
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

that is so exciting! I am still such a long ways off from tasting a garden fresh tomato...so sad!
Old April 30, 2013   #15
Greenredbean
Tomatovillian™

It has grown quite considerably, looking healthy and quite alive! Thanks for keeping up the promise to update, I can hardly wait to see that color change! Is that the only tomato plant you are growing this year?