Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 12, 2017   #1
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

Default Curly Top Virus?

All of my tomato plants clearly have something wrong.

I'm thinking Curly Top Virus? I haven't sprayed anything, nothing weird should be in my compost (I made it, same as always) and I water like normal.

Thanks for the help--looks like basically no tomatoes this season, but I start my plants for next growing season in 8 weeks, so it will be here before I know it!
MarianneW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Curly Top Virus from what I understand is usually associated with wilting, even if they have been watered well. Are they wilting or is the funky looking leaves that concern you?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2017   #3
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

They've stopped growing, the growth points are all curled under and have gotten crispy, and the center of the leaves are yellow. Something has gone really wrong. It's not watering. It's not lack of fertilizer. They were growing great, then the top suddenly turns into what's in the picture and stops growing. It's definately not curling from being thirsty and it's not hot enough to make all of the growth points curl and dry up.
Old May 13, 2017   #4
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Three of mine in pots just did the same thing. Spider mites were listed as possible culprits- I think it was Tobacco Mosaic Virus (TMV), as my son dips and spits all over the place. Yours look similar to mine..
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Any possibility of exposure to herbicide?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #6
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Marianne, is there any fruit set on any of the plants? This fact sheet shows "the enlarged and deformed calyx structure", which is supposed to be almost a dead giveaway that it's Curly Top Virus.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #7
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I just ate a tomato off of one, BITTER A-F. Whatever they've got is not good. I'll rip them out today.
Old May 13, 2017   #8
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Tough break maybe some fall ones or some heat loving ones
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #9
MarianneW
Tomatovillian™

I yanked all of them but the black krims that have several tomatoes that are almost ripe. Hopefully they won't be bitter too. My next sowing time is in July, there's always another season just around the corner!

Now, I'm watching my black eyed peas like a hawk and think the virus may have already been spread over there. Knock on wood, it's left my pepper plants alone....
Old May 13, 2017   #10
shule1

A number of Idaho-bred tomatoes are tolerant to the curlytop virus. Payette is one (a dwarf).

Beet leafhoppers can spread it to tomatoes (although they don't tend to be a big tomato pest in and of themselves). I'm not sure if there are multiple curlytop viruses.
Old June 10, 2017   #11
HoustonHeat
Tomatovillian™

I think I have a couple plants with it also and it may have hit a few of my rattlesnake green beans. The green bean leaves get those crisp bubble looking textures. I am not sure yet to rip them out or see if the tomatoes and bean grow first..
HoustonHeat is offline   Reply With Quote