Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 25, 2017   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Karen we agree on the traded seed issue for sure, and not sending out seeds that are not true to form.And that's one reason in my seed offers in the past I've put up a germination thread, so that if a variety shows up RL and not PL,it's known to be wrong.I also ask folks to not share seeds with others until they know the variety is correct and that's why I ask for a Fall feedback report. Many of the seeds offered in my seed offers my seed producers did,but also seeds from others already processed and ready to go.

About mutations or crossed seeds that any of us save personally.

I had joined SSE as a listed member in 1989 and was so until two years ago when I asked that all my listings be deleted,my choice For many years I was listing many hundreds of varieties, and growing the plants at the old farm, for primarily seed production and also selling plants and fruits locally.

All that I grew at the farm I did all the seed saving, and yes, there were a few wrong varieties,I kept track and in all those years it was mainly seed DNA mutations where pink (clear epi)would go to red (yellow epi) and for many years I kept the two colors going but never sent out seeds for anything other than original

I had sent seeds to Glenn at Sandhill and one was supposed to be red, but what he got was pink, and he listed it. Again, a spontaneous seed DNA mutation.

I don't yet have my SSE Yearbook, but several of my long time SSE friends do, so I ask them to look up stuff for me and they do.Back then, folks would report back to the person they got the seeds from, but I haven't heard of that happening lately.

What bothers me the most is that they tell me that there's no chain of command any more, as in which hands had the seeds passed through to the current person listing it. As in A got seeds in X year from B, who got seeds from C in X year for,etc. That way if the seeds were wrong it could be traced back.

Right now there is no one at SSE who kn ows much of anything about tomatoes,which is the largest listingin the YEarbook, sad to say, and noting that Torgrimson is leaving and I'm told they are looking for someone with a business /advertising background.

So much for the original mission of Kent and Diane who started the mission back in 1975,rather, it looks like to me its going to become a seed company,and I'm not talking about the Public catalog either.

Last year there were about 700 listed members and for this year only about 400, as I'm told by those who already have their 2017 Yearbooks,and that's a huge drop.

So for me with my own saved seeds, less than 10 over all those years,and most epi changes from seed DNA mutations,but a few somatic mutations as well,which were always welcome surprises.

Carolyn
In this post I was answering your own questions and to answer that yes,I went back to SSE to explain my answers, and also indicated how upset I was with the current way that listings are done according to what I'd been told by those who had their 2017 Yearbooks.

And I did that to explain when the chain of command is now left out of the listings it makes it difficult to see where something went wrong when the specs for a current listing are wrong.

I went on to make a very personal comment about how the number of listed members had dropped, and that since SSE has meant a lot to me since I joined and I hated to see that.

Not only the many friends I made,but also being asked to give presentations there where I was able to meet some of those friends in person.

And Torgrimson leaving and a possible change more towards a business oriented person being sought over? For sure since the implications for the nature of what SSE was supposed to be is possibly changing.I was expressing my own opinion about something,others express their own opinions about things,nothing wrong in doing that that I know of.It's called freedom of expression as I see it,which all of us have.

And yes,I know you are now an SSE member since you had said that in another thread and we actually discussed issues about listings as I recall re paper Yearbook,online yearbook and the new exchange one.

All on topic to both Starlight and you in answering both of your questions and using myself and my experiences and giving examples to illustrate same just as others do in answering questions..

Carolyn
Old March 23, 2017   #47
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Big healthy seedlings. This variety always takes off like a rocket and grows very fast.
Cool cloudy rainy weather they are spending their days out in the cold frame but coming back in at night still for now.
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7564.jpg (442.7 KB, 169 views)
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #48
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Well done!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #49
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Looking very good, Karen! I'll be looking forward to your seed distribution on these.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #50
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Are these the 15 year old seed seedlings they look nice.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #51
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Life! They're wonderful KarenO! Wishing you an early spring. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #52
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys. Yes these are from the origional 15 year old seed and I will have seed for others to try from these if interested.
KarenO
Old March 24, 2017   #53
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

They look very nice Karen
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #54
oakley
Tomatovillian™

They look great!
I use this method to test germination on a few every year. But what about oxygen. Does the bag need to be a bit open? Mine are just above my sink on a shelf so i'm reminded to check on them. (Probably should find a warmer spot) and maybe a reminder note above the sink...along with all the other reminders

I have a couple i'd like to try. Nothing rare. A house guest on a road trip stopped at Montecello driving south and sent me tom seeds as a gift that never germinated the usual way.
I just assumed they were a gift shop novelty and possibly old and not stored properly on their end. This was a dozen yrs ago and have been in the dud file.

And why i'm a bit picky where i get my seeds. TGS for years and now from recommendations here only.
My own saved seeds from my prime 'stable' always do well. No surprise that the big box suppliers are a toss-up and low germination as they must be selling older seed.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #55
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakley View Post
They look great!
I use this method to test germination on a few every year. But what about oxygen. Does the bag need to be a bit open? Mine are just above my sink on a shelf so i'm reminded to check on them. (Probably should find a warmer spot) and maybe a reminder note above the sink...along with all the other reminders

I have a couple i'd like to try. Nothing rare. A house guest on a road trip stopped at Montecello driving south and sent me tom seeds as a gift that never germinated the usual way.
I just assumed they were a gift shop novelty and possibly old and not stored properly on their end. This was a dozen yrs ago and have been in the dud file.

And why i'm a bit picky where i get my seeds. TGS for years and now from recommendations here only.
My own saved seeds from my prime 'stable' always do well. No surprise that the big box suppliers are a toss-up and low germination as they must be selling older seed.
As far as oxygen is concerned, a couple of points, the reason I used dilute H2O2 is that it is unstable and easily degrades to water and releases an oxygen atom. I am peeking (a lot) and opening the bag but even so, plastic zippies are not air tight at all and would be permeable enough to not be concerned.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; March 25, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old March 25, 2017   #56
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I am glad that you will be trialing both the old and the new "Zena's gift". It is always nice to double check your grow outs. I too do that from time to time to make sure that my plants are true to type.

I also think that you made a good choice to become a SSE member and control the listing of your own works.

Zena'a Gift sound like an incredible tomato. I will be watching your results and hopefully grow this great plant someday.
Old March 25, 2017   #57
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I grew it last year, it was a great one.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017   #58
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

That is some beautiful foliage Karen! I read your story on Zena's Gift and saw the picture you posted of the tomato. Awesome looking. So glad you got them to wake up. Sometimes I think folks forget how beautiful some of the foliage and branching can be. Zena's Gift looks to be exceptional all around.

Thanks for posting pic here! Appreciate it.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #59
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Awesome looking seedlings! These little Rip Van Winkle plants are ready for the sun!! Best of luck, and I'll be interested in some seeds when you save them!!!

Darin
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2017   #60
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Yes it worked. I do keep peeking. I have one with a tail out of 10. 5 seeds of each variety. 48 hours so far.
I gave up years ago with those seeds. (dated 2006 so not that old).
I expect a few more and will add to a weekend planted cell tray tonight.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote