Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 23, 2017   #1
crystals1943
Tomatovillian™

Default Mountain Fresh hybrids. Any comments or suggestions

I live in the Charlotte NC area. I grow all my tomatoes in pots/containers. For the 1st time, I'm trying a couple of Mountain Fresh hybrids. Any suggestions or comments ... especially about taste.

Thanks ... Crystals1943
crystals1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #2
peppero
Tomatovillian™

A friend has given me some but they had little taste. They do stay firm and fresh but they are not going in my garden.

Jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Randy Gardner in NC has bred many more varieties than you can imagine and there's a whole series of Mountain ones.

All of them are very popular, and have been for many years for both commercial farmers as well as home growers.

My great farmer friend Charly Brizzell grew lots of them,my brother always wanted me to get seeds for them when he was still up here in NYS but is now in NC and had so many diseases in NC I tried to get Randy to drive up from Fletcher to help with diagnosis..

I know Randy very well and have for many years.He wanted to introduce better taste into some of his hybrids and asked if I would send him seeds he could use for that.

I used to trial some of his varieties for him as did Fusion,aka Darrell Jones, who is a Tville member and posts often.

Just one link for now

http://vegetablegrowersnews.com/arti...ing-cultivars/

Carolyn
Old May 23, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have three plants of Mountain Fresh in my high tunnel, which I am now discovering has soil-borne disease, probably fusarium. They look fine, even though the plants next to them are dying. They are not setting as much fruit as I would like, but at least they are alive, I am guessing due to disease resistance bred into them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2017   #5
crystals1943
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback. As I get older, I'm continually trying to make gardening easier by finding tomato plants that can withstand our hot and humid summers with less maintenance from me ... plus, I'm getting lazier with age.

I tried Mountain Pride last year and it was a prolific producer and survived well. However, taste never got above 'just ok.'

crystals1943
crystals1943 is offline   Reply With Quote