Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 23, 2014   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default Seedling Plastic Grow Bag - any reviews?

Has anyone here tried to plastic grow bags before? Like these?
http://www.groworganic.com/plastic-n...ags-quart.html

luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #2
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i've used them before they work pretty well, but toward the end i was missing that solid container when i needed to move them around and prune or whatever. other than that they worked fine for me. the ones i had were gallon size i think. for seedling size bags i would think it would be a pain to water them from the top unless you have them stacked in side to side for support they topple pretty easily
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #3
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I used the 3 gal. black ones for hot peppers, though I wished he'd had the white ones in stock. The bag and plant were easy to transport when hail threatened, and did not topple at all. I rolled down the top for ease of transport.

It was a pain to water from the top, but in a pinch these bags were fine. Last year I used 30 for peppers but did not use them for anything else.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I only bottom water. I think I'm going to sew my own out of weed barrier fabric since they are already OOS. Plus the weed barrier fabric I have is much stiffer than plastic bags. These tiny growbags are to take the place of red party solo cups but with the added benefit of root pruning. I still have a ways to go before my plant out date so I'm a tad concerned about them getting root-bound. Thanks guys!
Old March 23, 2014   #5
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

if you want a good root pruning material go to a plumbing store, or lowes or home depot have them too, it's the black "sock" that goes around sewer drain pipe, the black corrugated pipe that has slits in it. you can get a lot of it for around twenty dollars. it's made not to break down with the elements and it works great for root pruning. it also comes in handy when making compost juice or anything else you might need a sieve for
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2014   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For seedlings, no, but for actually growing in, yes.

I'm going on my third year with some of their 5 gallon bags and they are holding out great. The 5 gallon ones are 5 mil versus the 3 mil for the smaller ones. I use them for all my dwarf and any determinate tomatoes and hot peppers, although this year the more compact hot peppers will go into some of their 3 gallon bags to save on both space and potting mix needs.

Yes, you will be limited to top watering, but they do drain well. They work for me because once everything is out in the garden, I switch to top watering. Mine sit on the dirt against the inside of my garden fence, and the roots do eventually grow out the drain holes and down into the ground.

I've never thought to use them for seedlings. I wonder if it would be as easy to slide the plants out of them as it is from a cup or a pot?
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #7
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

I have used the 3"x 3" bags for seedlings for two years. I keep 18 bags of seedlings in a black rectangular tray. I like them.

Before I add the starter mix I fold the edges of the bag twice to keep the bag open. My seedlings grow fast once I start hardening because the black color attracts the heat from the sun. I like the holes in the side of the bag because it lets me see the roots coming out and alerts me that the time to transplant is near.

After transplanting the 2 month old plants to the ground or a larger pot, I wash and disinfect the bags and I store flat for future use. This takes up very little space.

This year I found a local source that sells the gallon bags for $2.50 for 25 bags. So I will see how some of my plants do in that size pot. This is cheaper than the quart size; unfortunately, they don't sell the quart size. I have used the bags at least four times by now. I consider it a temporary pot to give away a plant or keep it for a while until I can get around to planting it.
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Yes, I used the 3 gal. black ones for hot peppers, though I wished he'd had the white ones in stock.
I can't remember who I ordered bags from online, but they were reversible ones like these at Home Depot http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2031243...93&R=203124393 , I figured I would start them out with the black side out, and then slip a white outside bag over it later when the summer got hot, but never actually got around to doing it. I think you'd have to mix sizes, like 5 gallons into 7 gallon bags, because otherwise with soil, the fit would be too tight to pull over.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2014   #9
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I kinda lost it and did it. Good thing I am not a commercial grower like some of you... If they work well and are reuseable, then I'll buy root pouches next year... It was kinda fun to get behind the sewing machine though, been a while.

Old March 25, 2014   #10
Ms. Jitomate
Tomatovillian™

Oh my! Luigiwu, those are so cute and practical. That's how my plastic grow bags look like when folded and filled with a growing medium. What a great idea you gave me. Looks like I'm taking out my sewing machine. Thanks for posting.
Ms. Jitomate is offline   Reply With Quote