Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 2, 2011   #1
Idahowoman
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Krim Cherry

I received a Black Krim Cherry plant with a tomato plant order this spring.
Does anyone have any information about this variety.
I have tried searching with no success.
Thanks Susan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Krim Cherry 2.jpg (240.1 KB, 408 views)
File Type: jpg Black Krim Cherry 1.jpg (332.5 KB, 401 views)
Idahowoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Susan,

Were your tomatoes tasty? If it tasted as good as Black Krim, it ought to be a real winner!

The only person to mention this variety is Dar Jones, and I'm guessing that this is another "experimental" variety that he is growing out......

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting. I do see the variety listed on his website and that he had raised plants in 2015. I too would like to hear your thoughts on the tomato Susan--although I do see this thread was from 2011, so you may not recall!

Susan and Darrel may be the only ones who can comment, but I wonder how it compares to Black Cherry and Chocolate Cherry.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #4
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I grew one dubbed "Baby Krim" last season that was supposed to be a mutation of regular black krim. It grew to be somewhere between a large cherry and a small saladette. I wonder if this is the same variety or a different one. I did not get my seeds from Dar but from a different tomatoville member. The one i grew had the same great flavor as black krim just smaller. I totally forgot about that one so now i better plant seed for this season.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I grew one dubbed "Baby Krim" last season that was supposed to be a mutation of regular black krim. It grew to be somewhere between a large cherry and a small saladette. I wonder if this is the same variety or a different one. I did not get my seeds from Dar but from a different tomatoville member. The one i grew had the same great flavor as black krim just smaller. I totally forgot about that one so now i better plant seed for this season.
Very cool heirloomtomaguy! Putting that one on my wish list for the NEXT MMMM swap so that I don't forget

Linda
Old January 9, 2016   #6
The Future
Tomatovillian™

I received seed direct from DarJ and am growing this out now. My plants have fruit on them and show ripen in the next week or two. We have very strong winds in the past few days (knocked over my tower garden yesterday) so I am protecting as best I can with a make shift greenhouse of food wrap. Between Black Krim Cherry and Brandywine cherry' it is a race for first tomato of 2016.

I wanted to find out from Dar what generation of seed (F) I got from him.
Old January 9, 2016   #7
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim Cherry was a variant plant in my garden about 5 years ago, a result of a bee made cross. I only saved a few seed from the original plant. Growouts in the last 5 years gave varying results with some red cherries, some black cherries, and some that look like the top photo but that ripen to red. Overall flavor has been good to excellent though I culled a few plants that were sub-par. This is now one of my better flavored cherry tomatoes with fruit a deep blackish pink with nice flavor balance.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2016   #8
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Good luck with your growout Future! I hope your plants can withstand the winds!

I grew BW cherry a couple of years ago and they were productive, pretty and tasted good, but not as good as Brandywine :-(.

Linda
Old January 9, 2016   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Fusion, Thanks so much for chiming in.

Your Black Krim Cherry certainly sounds like a winner!

Linda
Old January 9, 2016   #10
PNW_D
Tomatovillian™

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...en_Krim_Cherry

Tania offers a Green Krim Cherry, from F4 seed I shared with her ......
Old January 23, 2016   #11
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim Cherry wins!

Harvested the first today, vine ripened, darkish red cherry.
Old January 23, 2016   #12
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks PNW but I stay away from the GWR's because I never know when they are ripe!

Very cool Future! Thanks for letting us know .

Linda
Old January 24, 2016   #13
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

I am the tomatoville member who sent out the seeds to Baby Krim. It appeared in a commercial pack of Krim, and they were wonderfully uniform tasty fruits. It is good to know they are consistent, as they have been a baby size for me too! A small salad size.I have more seed saved if anyone else wants a cute baby Krim!
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2016   #14
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Thanks PNW but I stay away from the GWR's because I never know when they are ripe!

Very cool Future! Thanks for letting us know .

Linda
Does it mature early like a cherry or mid to late like a larger tomato?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Susan,

Were your tomatoes tasty? If it tasted as good as Black Krim, it ought to be a real winner!

The only person to mention this variety is Dar Jones, and I'm guessing that this is another "experimental" variety that he is growing out......

Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyAdele View Post
I am the tomatoville member who sent out the seeds to Baby Krim. It appeared in a commercial pack of Krim, and they were wonderfully uniform tasty fruits. It is good to know they are consistent, as they have been a baby size for me too! A small salad size.I have more seed saved if anyone else wants a cute baby Krim!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2016   #15
LindyAdele
Tomatovillian™

My records indicate on the early mid side at 75 days. I was so confused because I had grown Krim for years, and these were so small, but uniformly so!
LindyAdele is offline   Reply With Quote