Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 6, 2014   #1
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

Default fluorescent bulb replacement

I have fluorescent bulbs of all ages. I am not using any that are starting to get black on the ends. How often should the bulbs be replaced. Should I be marking them somehow and discarding them at a certain age. I am assuming they get less efficient. I am not worried about the energy cost but adequate light to the plants.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

They typically maintain 85% of their initial output over most of the life of the tube.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #3
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by matilda'skid View Post
... How often should the bulbs be replaced. Should I be marking them somehow and discarding them at a certain age...
An easy to understand page:

http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/fluorescent.html
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2014   #4
matilda'skid
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Doug and RJ Very interesting link. The guy who did the experiment was very organized and followed through on his quest. I am interested in light but haven't taken the time and effort to study it. I have diffraction grating things in my windows that make rainbows and too many stained glass pretties in my windows. I loved a kids science museum where red and green made yellow, but why am I too lazy to find out more. The GE kitchen and bath did well and would be reasonably priced I think. I don't see f bulbs ever marked down at my Wal-Mart.
matilda'skid is offline   Reply With Quote