Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 14, 2018   #61
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
some have called Silvery fir a "spitter" but it truly is adaptable..

I have grown it even in 1 gallon but of course it will use every inch of a

larger pot even 20 gallon ....I have closed the loop with this one under grow lights and have successfully produced fruit in cold unheated circumstance ..

with lights ...of course it is not a "Brandywine "...but it is a must grow in my garden as it is consistently "bomb proof " and adaptable ..no matter how

bad the cool coastal year .
Having read a few of Carolyn's comments, A "spitter" for one grower maybe different for another. Sounds like it is not a spitter for you.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #62
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Groshovka

Silvery fir tree
Old January 14, 2018   #63
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Nbd for me is quite a large dwarf plant, about 4 feet and late mid season
KarenO
karen, while looks to be too big for my early cold tolerant needs, I have another use in mind if it has a long harvest , like til frost. Do you remember how long New Big Dwarf produced?
Old January 14, 2018   #64
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I would call it late midseason for first ripe fruit, in my garden, guessing about 80 days but that varies of course with lots of factors. big strong dwarf plants. thick rugosed foliage and really delicious firm oblate pink beefsteaks. Nothing "new" about it, a great old tomato which has been a parent or ancestor of a number of the dwarf project tomatoes
I recommend it, you will have to try it in your specific garden to see how it does for you. Did well for me outdoors north of Edmonton, Alberta Canada so hardly prime tomato growing territory. It is indeterminate so certainly capable of setting fruit continuously until frost in good weather.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; January 14, 2018 at 08:47 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14, 2018   #65
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
Just had to make an initial comment ...to this thread.....

1) I agree Yes ...for Matina/Tamina ...a good one for me but it is not the earliest .

2) In Past coastal cool "marginal " above freezing (0 C) I used to start
outside protected about May 2 and some years we would luck out and get a
"Maugust " and catch some early degree growing days ...that may not be recouped in the coastal cool "summer".
Amazingly under such "marginal cool temp times ...varieties like Cosmonaut Volkov and Sasha's Altai and Black Prince ..set fruit early for me ...

....even earlier than stupicke and matina etc.

3) also I like Silvery fir as a "bomb proof " producer no matter how foul the season .

4) Siberia - the rugose leaf dwarf (is a great one later ...but stays in the fall when temps drop .)

5) I really REALLY liked ...Puck ...and think it was actually early and a super producer in a 7 gallon container.....it surely is a candidate for an early crop and second crop production .

6) I am trying various new ones for various reasons this year one I am trying is
Tarasenko 6.
Sorry I missed this,
Would you clarify what you liked about Siberia?
Old January 14, 2018   #66
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Pic of ripe fruit.
KO
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F8A5AD6E-C937-4B24-9679-3AF66FB922B2.jpeg (51.3 KB, 140 views)
Old January 15, 2018   #67
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I would call it late midseason for first ripe fruit, in my garden, guessing about 80 days but that varies of course with lots of factors. big strong dwarf plants. thick rugosed foliage and really delicious firm oblate pink beefsteaks. Nothing "new" about it, a great old tomato which has been a parent or ancestor of a number of the dwarf project tomatoes
I recommend it, you will have to try it in your specific garden to see how it does for you. Did well for me outdoors north of Edmonton, Alberta Canada so hardly prime tomato growing territory. It is indeterminate so certainly capable of setting fruit continuously until frost in good weather.
KarenO
My question was based on the information from TomatoGrowers as determinate.

That fruit is lovely!!
Old January 15, 2018   #68
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/New_Big_Dwarf

Indeterminate dwarf
K
Old January 15, 2018   #69
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Krayniy Sever is a great early variety. The plants are very compact determinate dwarfs with rugose foliage and the fruits have a very decent taste for an early tomato.
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #70
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

1) grushuvka ...was good in containers ...fine taste... BUT mid-season (Not early).

2) Siberia (rugose leaf dwarf ) was good in containers even 3 gallon .
as reported ...did set fruit in LOw temps and earlier than others that would not do amazing things in low temps.

3) There is also a "Siberian" (regular leaf) that is a favourite dependable of many.

4) Siberia and Siberian should also not be confused with "Early Siberian" (Sibirskiy Skorospelyi
) Which also could be interesting to you.
Old January 15, 2018   #71
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

ok ok just a few more

1) check out " 0-33 " introduced by Tatianas in 2015 .

2) and yes I agree ....Krayniy Sever is a great one also .

"so many Tomatoes ....so little time. "
Old January 15, 2018   #72
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Moravski Div is my go to early variety. It is the only early variety I will plant this year. It produces abundantly and early. The tomatoes have a rich full tomato flavor. The plants survive a hot summer and produce again in the fall. They do require some trimming in late summer to induce more growth and fall production.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #73
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
Moravski Div is my go to early variety. It is the only early variety I will plant this year. It produces abundantly and early. The tomatoes have a rich full tomato flavor. The plants survive a hot summer and produce again in the fall. They do require some trimming in late summer to induce more growth and fall production.
So funny to see this from Texas - after various trials Moravsky Div was picked and became the "go to early variety" for my friend's farm way up here in the North Atlantic. It is exactly as you describe for us too - reliable producer abundant and early with a rich flavor. We find them even tastier when grown in a cold summer - the shoulders in cold becoming such a dark green you might mistake it for a black before it ripens.
I don't think I've ever had a bad textured fruit from MDiv either. So many vars will be mealy on the first fruit of the season, to say nothing of taste. Fruit that retain textural quality in all weather are very special.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #74
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Moravsky div is Stupické polní rané from Moravoseed.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2018   #75
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Moravsky div is Stupické polní rané from Moravoseed.
Vladimír
Which means it's a strain (or renaming) of Stupice. Tatiana writes, "A commercial variety from Moravoseeds, Czechoslovakia. The name means 'The Wonder from Moravia'. As some Russian seed vendors stated on their websites, this is one of the strains of Stupice tomato, Stupické polní rané. This information was also confirmed by a representative of Moravoseed company."
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote