Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 22, 2016   #61
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I have plenty of seed to sponsor some folks who want to join in on the action.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2016   #62
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I have plenty of seed to sponsor some folks who want to join in on the action.
Me, too, for most categories, that is.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #63
beasl004
Tomatovillian™

I'm really looking forward to this. I'll probably only have seed from the packs I bought to get started this year though. I haven't saved seed be for but am going to give it a try with some German Queens. Is it OK to send in the bought seed I have left over or is it supposed to be saved seed?
beasl004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2016   #64
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasl004 View Post
I'm really looking forward to this. I'll probably only have seed from the packs I bought to get started this year though. I haven't saved seed be for but am going to give it a try with some German Queens. Is it OK to send in the bought seed I have left over or is it supposed to be saved seed?
If you PM me, I will Sponsor you. Yes, it is OK to send in purchased seeds but I doubt that there is enough for you to enter into a category.

Old July 24, 2016   #65
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

I've got my first set of seeds ready to package for the 2016 MMMM. These are for my entry into the cherry category. Next I hope to prepare something for the PL category and for either the GWR or Striped categories (not sure which one the variety I have in mind belongs in). I also have lots of my Spigariello/Dino Kale grex project seeds to send in as a bonus if there is any interest.

I love seeing how excited and generous everyone becomes. I know participating has made seed saving way more fun already. I really enjoy thinking about all the different gardens my seeds will travel to.

Thanks to all who makes this possible, especially Tormato.

Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sorted seed.jpg (31.3 KB, 268 views)
M.SeanF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #66
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to participate this year.

If I understand correctly, to enter, say the Beefsteak category, I would send in a minimum 10 packs of 10 seed each of a Beefsteak variety? (Delicious for example).

I would also have a wishlist of 10 varieties I'd like to recieve?

And last but not least -- would someone be willing to sponsor me in the ornamental pepper category.

Sorry, if the questions are redundant, but something is failing to provide that "got it" moment for me.
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #67
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lastfling, you are now sponsored in the ornamental pepper category. I started saving 8 varieties of ornamental pepper seeds yesterday.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #68
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastfling View Post
I'd like to participate this year.

If I understand correctly, to enter, say the Beefsteak category, I would send in a minimum 10 packs of 10 seed each of a Beefsteak variety? (Delicious for example).

I would also have a wishlist of 10 varieties I'd like to recieve?

The categories and the wish lists are two separate parts of the swap.

What you would get back for your ten packs of Delicious would be a random selection of ten packs of beefsteak varieties (the mystery part).

You can also submit a wish list of specific varieties you would like and if available, you'll receive those in addition to your beefsteak category seeds.

If you have varieties from other participants wish lists, those can be sent in as well.

And if you have any random seeds you want to share without entering a category, you can send them in as bonuses, receiving others bonuses in return.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #69
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
If you PM me, I will Sponsor you. Yes, it is OK to send in purchased seeds but I doubt that there is enough for you to enter into a category.

I'm another newbie and I have the same problem. I'm really excited about this swap but the more I read about it and the more I get confused. I too have some seeds that I bought and that I didn't use that I was counting on sending for the swap. I will also try to save (for the first time) seeds of the varieties I planted this season.
What do you mean when you write "I doubt that there is enough for you to enter into a category"?
Do you need to send a minimum number of seeds to enter a category?
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #70
tash11
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasl004 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
I'm another newbie and I have the same problem. I'm really excited about this swap but the more I read about it and the more I get confused. I too have some seeds that I bought and that I didn't use that I was counting on sending for the swap. I will also try to save (for the first time) seeds of the varieties I planted this season.
What do you mean when you write "I doubt that there is enough for you to enter into a category"?
You guys should both try saving seed. It sounds hard but isn't once you figure it out.

For the categories you need at least 100 seeds to enter one category (10 seeds times 10 packets). For the bonus stuff you can send in any number. So if you have 20 seeds left of a variety you could send in one packet of 10 and keep 10 for yourself. But that wouldn't be entered into a category because you don't have enough packets. This is especially nice if that variety is on someone's wishlist.

But if your seed saving doesn't work (spouse tossing it is probably the biggest issue ) then there are always sponsors and you can try saving again next year.
Save

Last edited by tash11; July 24, 2016 at 06:54 PM.
tash11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #71
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz77 View Post
Fritz77, If you PM me I will sponsor you too.

Last edited by MissS; July 24, 2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #72
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

I am also getting on the MMMM train this year!!! I got SEEEVERAL varieties outside growing. I am also joining the legume swap and what's this business about peppers? Count me in! Although I don't think I will have a lot of peppers to send in, we shall see.

I'm going to aim sending in at least 10-20 varieties of toms this year.
Raiquee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #73
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Not to confuse anyone - most store bought tomato seed packs have only 5 - 30 seeds in them. I did find one exception a couple years ago. I bought a Burpee Roma tomato seed pack that had over 100 seeds in it.

I sent in ten packs of 10 Roma seeds each and joined in the paste tomatoes category. I put a (C) Burpee on the pack - along with Roma and the year I bought them.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #74
gardencat999
Tomatovillian™

This will be my first year participating in the swap, and I'm super excited!

I will mostly be participating in the legume swap, but I do have a question about the tomato swap: does anyone ever enter hybrids (or de-hybridization attempts) or varieties with some beefy disease resistance? I'm looking to start a breeding project next year with the goal of breeding a tomato variety that tastes good AND incorporates disease resistance (early and late blight, nematodes, etc) which seems to only be in the hybrids currently. (I'm also going for something that doesn't have that awful 'u' gene, but that's a different story.)

I have some good heirloom lines to start with, but I need tomato varieties with the disease resistance genes as well. Let me know if anyone is thinking of sending in a disease resistant variety!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.SeanF. View Post
I also have lots of my Spigariello/Dino Kale grex project seeds to send in as a bonus if there is any interest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
Tormato, for the legume swap, would there be interests in Pigeon Peas? (I just purchased some.) It's a perennial legume, common in Central America.
I have interest in both of these, especially the grex
gardencat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2016   #75
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardencat999 View Post
This will be my first year participating in the swap, and I'm super excited!

I will mostly be participating in the legume swap, but I do have a question about the tomato swap: does anyone ever enter hybrids (or de-hybridization attempts) or varieties with some beefy disease resistance? I'm looking to start a breeding project next year with the goal of breeding a tomato variety that tastes good AND incorporates disease resistance (early and late blight, nematodes, etc) which seems to only be in the hybrids currently. (I'm also going for something that doesn't have that awful 'u' gene, but that's a different story.)

I have some good heirloom lines to start with, but I need tomato varieties with the disease resistance genes as well. Let me know if anyone is thinking of sending in a disease resistant variety!
People have sent in known F1 hybrids as bonus seeds. Most people do not have enough to send 100 seeds into a category, but there is no reason that if you have that many that you could not do so.

People do send in seeds into the experimental category that are either seeds from their own crosses or at their attempts at de-hybridizing. That is what this category is for and those seeds would be most welcome.