Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 9, 2016   #46
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
So far I haven't seen enough evidence to make me want to grow this one.The thread is about a month old and one person has grown it and loved it and Carolyn seems to be very excited about it although she has never tasted it.

Doesn't someone else love it?Or hate it?I would love to see more opinions.Since it has been around a while and been offered before, I would assume more have tried it.
Fact is,it isn't that well known,yes,here at Tville with several older threads if you did a search and some from idig several years ago transferred here b/c that's where Travis was posting at the time and the progress made was recorded there in many threads, and as I just said,those threads transferred here since many of us were posting at both sites at the time...

But go to Tania's and you won't find it listed,go to some other seed vendors and you won 't find it listed either, at least of the ones I know. I did not do a complete search.

Not listed in my 2016 SSE YEarbook, Daniel's PL is,one of the parents, but not Daniel Burson, and there are many owners of seed companies who are SSEmembers and that's where they get many of their seeds from.

Travis sent me seeds for my experiemental section for my seed offer,which means he didn't know if it was yet stable and didn't even yet have a name

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20848

Scroll down to the Experimental section,the second listing down.

Yes,I am excited about it and knew I would like it based on the two varieties that were parents.

There are several other varieties that have been sent to me by others,including Travis, and they are excellent in the case of Travis,since he doesn't send out unstable varieties.

One of my missions is to get seeds for many that are not well know into the hands of several seed vendors such as Tania,already sent some to Glenn at Sandhill,forgot to send t to Linda at TGS,forgot to touch base with Jeff Casey in Canada,etc.

And I will continue trying to place seeds of not well known varieteis where they will be available to the public.

Right now I can tell you that I have a group e-mail set up with a spread sheet,I didn't do it,and listings of all the new ones that I had seeds for, and 7 seed producers since I had so many, seed production will be done this summer for,well,there are 47 listed,but one person is kind of doing it alone and he has 10 more.

And 3 of those seed producers are also listed SSE members so they can get many out there as well. My choice, I stopped being a listed SSE member last year.

I will be listing Daniel Burson and several more that Travis sent to me as well as many other new varieties where folks sent them to me already processed,and that sometime in late summer,early Fall intheTrade subforum alhough I do not trade seeds with the exception if someone sends me seeds for a family heirloom not yet distributed I let the person chose several others from my listings.

Seaeagle, anything you can do to foster the growth of varieties not well know would be very much appreciated.

MissS was offering seeds for DB,as I'm sure you know,but there won't be any feedback on those until later this year.

If I were to fetch the Fall 2012 Performance thread you would also see how many absoultely loved Daniel Burson which did turn out to be stable.

Carolyn,who apologizes for such a long thread but this is not the first time that you have prejudged,IMO,some situations and some people ,so I tried very hard to clarify those issues that I could in order to address your initial post. And I hope it helped.
Old May 9, 2016   #47
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So far I haven't seen enough evidence to make me want to grow this one.The thread is about a month old and one person has grown it and loved it and Carolyn seems to be very excited about it although she has never tasted it.

Doesn't someone else love it?Or hate it?I would love to see more opinions.Since it has been around a while and been offered before, I would assume more have tried it.
Seaeagle, Carolyn offered Daniel Burson seed in her 2012 seed offer. As she said, people loved it. Here is a link to the feedback thread. Daniel Burson is referred to as IS x Daniels. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=40590&page=4

As Carolyn also stated that while this plant has been grown by a few since 2012, it has not been widely grown as of yet. I am one of those that LOVE the taste of Daniel Burson. It does not taste at all like its parents but has its own bold flavor which I adore.

I offered seeds of DB in February of this year here at TV. I was waiting for Carolyn to get her seed offer up for this year as I know that many people wanted to try it. When it got to February, I realized that her offer may not happen in time for people to grow it this year, so I offered it. This is the first major grow out of this tomato since Bill Jeffers created it. Yes, a few people trialed it in 2012, but not all that many. It is not available from any vendor's as of yet. You won't find much information about this tomato anywhere right now. Hopefully this thread will offer you and others the information that you are looking for.

All of us have small plants still growing. You will have to watch this thread in order to learn what we all think of it. This plant is now growing in many areas of the country and may or may not perform well in certain areas. I am sorry to say that none of us have any ripe fruit yet to peek your interest. You won't find much information about this tomato anywhere right now. Hopefully this thread will offer you and others the information that you are looking for.

Stay tuned seaeagle, you might like what you learn here.
Old May 9, 2016   #48
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Carolyn I hope that you and Rob enjoy Daniel Burson as much as I did last year. It was one of those that I would eyeball every day to see if I could eat one all by myself. This was one tomato that I coveted and would not share not even with my beloved daughter!

As far as getting regular leaf plants from these seeds, I just do not see it. I know that I said that I would start 25 seeds to check the leaf types, but I started 40 instead. Of 40 seeds started 40 germinated. One was a helmet head and perished. All of the 39 remaining plants have potato leafed foliage. So of the 100 or so seeds that all of us have started, only one person reports to have regular leafed plants. Given that, I am pretty certain that the seeds are true.

Now I just have to find homes for most of these plants.......

I have some of your seeds growing and all are PL. Can you Tell which plant is a real TPS grown potato plant?
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #49
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Daniel Burson has not been around that long, only stable about 3 years now, although i grew the F1 i think it was in 2010. Also, have not sent it out to many people thus far, and the originator of this thread is the first person other than Carolyn to really give it any widespread exposure.

Additionally, my own minimal release of Daniel Burson pretty much coincided with a huge upsurge of novelty tomato varieties with anthocyanin staining, etc.and no one seems all that interested in New maroon/mahogany colored tomatoes so much at the moment.

None of this means squat to me as I don't release crappy tomato lines, and can only say that Daniel Burson has two parents that enjoy great reputations on their own ... Indian Stripe from Victory Seed Co. X Daniels from Bear Creek Farms in Missouri.

This thread is intended to track results from this season's grow out of seeds already distributed and planted. Hopefully, you will keep in touch with this thread and read many objective reviews of the results, by which you may or may not be convinced to try it ... as no one is attempting to sell you on it in the first place.

Last edited by travis; May 9, 2016 at 08:32 PM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #50
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

My DB is still way behind all of my dark varieties so far. I am not holding my breath.

Gardeneer

Edited : It is growing some kind of mega bloom. Hmmm

Last edited by Gardeneer; May 9, 2016 at 09:58 PM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #51
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I had the opposite experience, mine are bigger than the rest.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #52
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
My DB is still way behind all of my dark varieties so far. I am not holding my breath.

Gardeneer
How many Daniel Burson seedlings did you start? How many did you pot up? My experience is that any seed lot can have weaker and stronger germplasm, and any lot of seedlings can have a runt or two. That's why you should always plant several seeds of each variety, cull out the weaker seedlings, and plant out only the stronger.

Last edited by travis; May 9, 2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old May 9, 2016   #53
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

I did check and there is very limited exposure for this tomato.But everyone seemed to think the taste was superb, although there were other issues reported. I seem to remember some problems with the fruit, can't remember exactly what.

I hope the tomato is a s good as advertised, and I will be buying it, if I get it, so yes I will be following this thread.And I have no doubt the reviews will be objective, the only problem is, sometimes if someone has problems or doesn't like a tomato that is being talked about, rather than say something negative, they say nothing at all.

Good Luck, will be watching
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #54
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
How many Daniel Burson seedlings did you start? How many did you pot up? My experience is that any seed lot can have weaker and stronger germplasm, and any lot of seedlings can have a runt or two. That's why you should always plant several seeds of each variety, cull out the weaker seedlings, and plant out only the stronger.
Travis, I planted about 3 seeds and got just one germinated.
So probably the seeds must have been inferior.

BTW: is it determinate ?
I ask because I want to know if I should keep laterals or not.

Gardeneer
Old May 9, 2016   #55
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I did check and there is very limited exposure for this tomato.But everyone seemed to think the taste was superb, although there were other issues reported. I seem to remember some problems with the fruit, can't remember exactly what.
Yes, I remember that genetics from Daniels seems to have eliminated blossom end deformities such as catfacing to a large extent. And thats a "problem" i can appreciate.
Old May 9, 2016   #56
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Gardeneer, Daniel Burson is indeterminate. Mine got 6-6 1/2 feet last year.

I have 40 very healthy seedlings. If you would like me to send you some I would be glad to, just help me pay for half of the postage. Right now they only have their first true leaf so they will need to grow a bit before I could send them. If you are interested please PM me.
Old May 9, 2016   #57
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Gardeneer, Daniel Burson is indeterminate. Mine got 6-6 1/2 feet last year.

I have 40 very healthy seedlings. If you would like me to send you some I would be glad to, just help me pay for half of the postage. Right now they only have their first true leaf so they will need to grow a bit before I could send them. If you are interested please PM me.
Thanks much for your generous offer, MissS.
I have no more space to plant anymore otherwise Otherwise would have grabbed your offer and would've paid full postage
May be next year you can send me some good seeds (for 2017 !). But that is too long away . I will be patient with my lone DB for now.

Gardeneer
Old May 9, 2016   #58
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I'm planning on growing it out next year as well, I have over committed to varieties this year and was waiting to see the dtm that Gardeneer experienced in '16 to help me decide. So, either Gardeneer had some underperforming seed or DB doesn't like our cold nights!

I'll still have this on my list for '17 as it sounds good and I love purple/black tomatoes..

SharonRossy is another short season grower of this variety this year and so I'm anxious to see what it does for her.

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #59
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Good News

Daniel Burson is available on EBAY, 99 cents and free shipping and you can help a blind cat in the process. I may scoop some up tomorrow for next year.Will look for something else to order, almost would feel guilty ordering just one pack at those prices and free shipping.100% seller rating, also saw this seller mentioned in the seeds forum of Tomatoville with a good recommendation.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/99-CENTS-HEI...LoGtZ72GqQF4gQ
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2016   #60
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Seaeagle, Carolyn offered Daniel Burson seed in her 2012 seed offer. As she said, people loved it. Here is a link to the feedback thread. Daniel Burson is referred to as IS x Daniels. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...t=40590&page=4

$$$$$$$$

It turns out that the link that was given above takes you back to this thread, so I fetched the Fall feedback one for 2012.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...eedback+report

Carolyn