Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 5, 2015   #16
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Pink Berkley Tie Dye did well for me last year too. Very consistent blemish free fruit, and alot of them. I also tried Large Barred Boar last year and didnt get nearly as much production although the fruits it did produce were larger. Taste was great on both.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #17
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I also have to agree with Black and Brown Boar, it is also producing it's little head off! Good flavor too.
That also has me thinking about bumping my trial of Carbon Copy to my 2016 trial of cherries and growing Black and Brown Boar in my 2015 black trial. I grew BBB last year in a 5 gallon pail, which it quickly outgrew and I removed the plant. But the fruits I did get (and saved seed from) where delicious and the plant was quite productive up to outgrowing the pot.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #18
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

Just FYI

That Carbon Copy will produce at least 10 times what Black and Brown Boar will produce and the flavor is highly comparable to BBB.

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #19
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipchip2000 View Post
Just FYI

That Carbon Copy will produce at least 10 times what Black and Brown Boar will produce and the flavor is highly comparable to BBB.

ron
Ok, you convinced me to stick with Carbon Copy Ron! I think it will be good to see how the small fruited ones compared to the other blacks I'm going to grow. Obviously flavor rules, then production, but I do prefer cherries and smaller slicers to the big beefsteaks if all else is equal.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #20
Rairdog
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Carbon, Indian Stripe PL, BKX PL, Black and Brown Boar, Paul Robeson, and Cherokee Purple to find out what does best for me. I grew Cherokee Purple for the first time last year which fizzled out on me but were delish...but it was a cold summer. The rest are all new so we will see.
Rairdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #21
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I just love the black tomato taste and don't care what size they are! I would second Black and Brown Boar, although the crack a bit for me here. The last couple of seasons everything cracked when we kept getting thunderstorms through here every afternoon. The humidity would go from the normal 5-7% in the morning to 100% when the storm came through, and then repeat. ARRRRGGGHHH.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #22
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple is the heaviest black producer for me in Atlanta. It pumps and keeps pumping - huge vine that produces through October - 5 months of good production.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5, 2015   #23
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

These are all great answers, it sounds like I can't go wrong with either the carbon or the boar! Thanks PA_Julia for the Paul Robeson recommendation, looks interesting...

I have never heard of Blue Ridge Black so I'll have to look it up.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #24
PA_Julia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
These are all great answers, it sounds like I can't go wrong with either the carbon or the boar! Thanks PA_Julia for the Paul Robeson recommendation, looks interesting...

I have never heard of Blue Ridge Black so I'll have to look it up.

Your welcome!! Paul Robeson hasn't won numerous tomatofest tastings for nothing!
Old February 6, 2015   #25
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Going back about 8 years or so, I was growing every "black" tomato I could find. All the big names and many hard to find varieties. Some were quite successful, others...not so much. At that time I was growing hundreds of different tomatoes. Some were very inconsistent. In a row of ten or twelve of the same tomato, only one or two produced great tasting tomatoes, the remainder were just average. Some had problems with cracking but otherwise were great tasting. (We had some pretty wet weather at the time).
Long story short, many of the highly recommended varieties fell by the wayside, not to be invited back again. A few did well the first few years but eventually were eliminated as I began to reduce the size of my gardens.Those that remained year after year to become some of my favorites were:
Bear Creek
Dana's Dusky Rose
Amazon Chocolate

Last year saw the return of Cherokee Purple, which I had eliminated a few years ago because of inconsistent taste, and it was fantastic last year. The standout best "black" was a German Johnson -Benton Strain cross. that produced a potato leafed variety that was simply Delicious! While Carolyn recommended that I call it an unknown cross, I'm almost certain it was crossed with Bear Creek, which is a Pink Brandywine/ Cherokee Purple cross itself. For the coming season, I'm calling it "Barlow's Best Black". Will see how it does and if it remains true and if the taste is as good as it was last year.
In the few years before, both German Johnson-Benton Strain a Pink R.L. and German Johnson-Benton Strain a grafted P.L. plant were the best tasting of all my tomatoes. The Black German Johnson -Benton Strain P.L. out did them both!
Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #26
natural
Tomatovillian™

Camo,

I grew Bear Creek for the first time last year after receiving it in a swap. It was as good as you said. Thanks for the recommendation!

Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #27
Misfit
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple put out over 30 tomatoes for me last year here in Maryland, The taste was great.

One thing to remember since you're in NC. Just about every farmers market I've been to down there has them, and on the cheap too.

-Jimmy
Misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #28
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm growing BWR tomatoes as seedlings now. It's my first time to grow any color of tomato that isn't pink, yellow, or red. Here's my list:

Black Cherry
Black Plum
Black Krim
Japanese Black Trifele
Russian Cossack

I chose those five varieties because I have read so much about them here at Tomatoville. The Russian Cossack, I'm growing just to see what color they grow up to be in my part of the world.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; February 6, 2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: missing word
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #29
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

@Misfit, your totally correct about C. Purple! I grew it my 2nd tomato season and loved it and plan to grow it in my 3rd season but I also want to add more black/purples to the mix but the available options are staggering! \

I still do want to form my own opinion but with recommendations like above I can accelerate the process of finding varieties that will make me happy.

I also enjoy hearing stories like camochef and believe that posts like his make Tomatoville priceless!!
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2015   #30
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Camochef I have heard you rave about bear creek so much I really want to try it. Do you have seeds to trade?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote