Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 4, 2013   #1
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Default Dr. Carolyn Male - hospitalized 5/30/13

It is with a heavy heart that I make this post. Carolyn fell very ill Thursday evening and was taken to the hospital by ambulance. She was placed in Intensive Care, suffering from a dangerously high white blood cell count, combined with very low blood pressure.

Her brother contacted me to let me know of her condition and asked that I not make this public, until she herself wished me to do so.

She was moved to a room from the ICU this morning. Her white cell count is still very high; 30k. She has a kidney stone lodged inside her that has caused a severe infection and septic shock to her body. The doctors have determined that she's too weak to be operated on in her current condition, so they're hoping she can overcome the infection with the medications she'll be receiving this week.

I spoke with her briefly on the phone earlier this afternoon. Her voice was very faint and weak, with her words coming slowly. She was in a lot of pain and it took all I had not to choke up while we were talking. I'm so used to her pithy sense of humor and raucous laughter whenever we talk on the phone, both of which were conspicuously absent during the conversation.

She did ask me who was winning the finals for the French Open and the scores, so I looked them up and told her. She said she wasn't able to grab her bag with her address book/phone #'s when the EMTs took her from her home, which frustrated her because she has no way of getting in touch with anyone. I asked her when she wanted me to let you all know of her condition. After a big sigh, she told me to go ahead and do so because she doesn't think she'll be going home anytime soon. I told her it wouldn't be too long before our members noticed she had stopped posting and started becoming concerned.

The nurses were bringing in her dinner, so I told her I'd let her eat in peace. She said she hadn't eaten much in the last four days because the pain makes her nauseated, but that she would try to eat something. The hospital won't allow her to make phone calls directly, so she asked if I would call her tomorrow, around noon. So I will.

I have the address of the hospital but am not going to post it publicly, out of respect for her privacy. For those of you that would like to send her a get-well card, please PM me and I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

I'll use this thread to post further updates. Please keep Carolyn in your prayers. I'm also going to read her the posts in this thread, as another way of getting your messages to her. I know she'll like that.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

Please do send on my best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery to her.

Thank you for the information.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Oh, my heart stopped when I saw the title of this post. But so glad she is well enough to talk now, thank you for letting us know Mischka. I am sure you will be getting tons of messages for her. Please tell Tomato Goddess I am keeping her in my thoughts and prayers!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #4
LDx4
Tomatovillian™

I had noticed today that she hadn't been posting for the last few days, and I wondered if she was having computer/internet connection problems again. Mischka, please convey to her my best wishes for a full recovery! We miss her very much!

Lyn
LDx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #5
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Please send my best wishes to dear Dr. Carolyn. I'm wishing her all the best and hope she will get well soon. I am keeping her in my prayers.
Old June 4, 2013   #6
bluebonnets
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear this! Wishing you the best and pray you'll have a speedy and complete recovery!
bluebonnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #7
Tania
Tomatovillian™

oh no!!! I wish Carolyn a quick recovery. We will miss her so much!

Carolyn, you are in my thoughts.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #8
Chucker
Tomatovillian™

Oh my. Maybe somebody can get a laptop to her. Get well Carolyn. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Chucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #9
Mojave
Tomatovillian™

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this! Get well soon Carolyn.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.
-John Muir

Believe those who seek the Truth: Doubt those who find it.
-André Gide
Mojave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #10
salix
Tomatovillian™

Adding my best wishes, too. The focussed, positive energy of 12,000 plus tomato growers will surely help Carolyn towards a speedy recovery. Thank you Mischka for updating us.
Old June 4, 2013   #11
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear this news, Carolyn I hope the pain eases quickly and do get well soon. Will be thinking of you. Ps Wimbledon soon!
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #12
mecktom
Tomatovillian™

Hoping you are feeling better very soon. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
mecktom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Mischka, the first sentence in your post put a knot in my stomach. At least she is out of the ICU which is a good thing. Give her my best and to stay away from the chocolate. Definitely keep here updated on the French Open.

Ami
Old June 4, 2013   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Get well soon Carolyn! Your work isn't finished yet. We need you.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2013   #15
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

All my best for a speedy recovery Carolyn. There will be tomatoes that need tasting soon you know!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote