Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old April 17, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumber.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZXGDP 16 April 2013 Cucumber.
Four pots of cucumber (National Pickling) were started in the greenhouse. Pictures depict the germination procedure.The plants will be placed in the outdoor garden about the end of May. This method gives the plant an early start, and cucumbers are harvested about a month earlier than seeding directly in the ground. Cucumber seeds germinate at a high temperature around 85F plus.When planting the roots are not disturbed, even if this means cutting the side of the pots.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013   #2
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YHEXF 26 May 2013 Preparing Cucumber Bed.
A cucumber bed was prepared for about eight plants now in the greenhouse. The area was rototilled, two wheelbarrows of compost added and rototilled into the underlying soil.Mulch was added as is my normal gardening practice. A trellis of two 4 by 8 concrete reinforcing wire three feet apart connected to five foot posts and tied with plastic ties was installed. The cucumber plants will be trained to the trellis. This system contains the plants and makes the fruit all green since none touch the ground.It is still too cool to place the plants outdoors. Cucumbers don’t grow if it is too cool.
Old May 30, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Four pots planted outdoors.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PHVUY 30 May 2013 Cucumbers planted outdoors
Four pots of cucumbers grown about six weeks in the greenhouse were planted outdoors. Roots of cucumbers should not be disturbed when transplanting, since it inhibits growth severely.
Old May 31, 2013   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

You might try paper and/or peat pots one time. Because you are right. Cukes don't like their roots disturbed.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
You might try paper and/or peat pots one time. Because you are right. Cukes don't like their roots disturbed.
Actually there is no difficulty removing from the four inch pots if the soil is slightly wet. I usually grow four pots with 2 to 3 plants in each pot.
Old June 2, 2013   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I neglected to get any started, is it too late to just direct sow outdoors at this point? Think that is what I will have to do.
Old June 2, 2013   #7
swamper
Tomatovillian™

Go for it lakelady. I sowed mine direct today. I never transplant cukes squash or melons.
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2013   #8
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakelady View Post
I neglected to get any started, is it too late to just direct sow outdoors at this point? Think that is what I will have to do.
Direct sow is always acceptable. I start the seeds early in the greenhouse, since it gives the harvest a jump start about a month earlier than direct sowing. I also do this with watermelons when I grow them. Also, I don't have the luxury of a very long season.

Last edited by Durgan; June 4, 2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old June 5, 2013   #9
Oldgardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumbers

I have not had any luck with cucumbers planted in my garden so this year I planted them in a huge container. The plants grew profusely with lots of blossoms but the fruit did not set on, even tho I used blossom set. Any suggestions!
Oldgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #10
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Cucumber Plants Thriving.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YAIJR 16 July 2013 Cucumber plants thriving.
The weather turned hot and the rain finally stopped, so the cucumbers are thriving. I picked two slicers today.The bulk of the crop will be used to make juice.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?PHVUY 30 May 2013 Cucumbers planted outdoors
Four pots of cucumbers grown about six weeks in the greenhouse were planted outdoors. Roots of cucumbers should not be disturbed when transplanting, since it inhibits growth severely.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?YHEXF 26 May 2013 Preparing Cucumber Bed.
A cucumber bed was prepared for about eight plants now in the greenhouse. The area was rototilled, two wheelbarrows of compost added and rototilled into the underlying soil.Mulch was added as is my normal gardening practice. A trellis of two 4 by 8 concrete reinforcing wire three feet apart connected to five foot posts and tied with plastic ties was installed. The cucumber plants will be trained to the trellis. This system contains the plants and makes the fruit all green since none touch the ground.It is still too cool to place the plants outdoors. Cucumbers don’t grow if it is too cool.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZXGDP 16 April 2013 Cucumber.
Four pots of cucumber (National Pickling) were started in the greenhouse. Pictures depict the germination procedure.The plants will be placed in the outdoor garden about the end of May. This method gives the plant an early start, and cucumbers are harvested about a month earlier than seeding directly in the ground. Cucumber seeds germinate at a high temperature around 85F plus.When planting the roots are not disturbed, even if this means cutting the side of the pots.
Old July 17, 2013   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgardener View Post
I have not had any luck with cucumbers planted in my garden so this year I planted them in a huge container. The plants grew profusely with lots of blossoms but the fruit did not set on, even tho I used blossom set. Any suggestions!
Use cucumbers F1, which have many female flowers.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #12
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default First Cucumber Picking

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CTODV 18 July 2013 First Cucumber Picking.
The first cucumbers were picked today. They were made into juice. Growth was literally overnight from tiny fruit to adequate size.
Old July 19, 2013   #13
raindrops27
Tomatovillian™

Hand pollinate
raindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #14
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

Not liking to have their roots disturbed, when the 2-3 plants in each 4" pot is planted out into the garden, do you then plant as a clump rather than separating into individual plants?

And are those horseradish leaves in the foreground?

Last edited by Rideau Rambler; July 22, 2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: add hr question
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2013   #15
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I plant cucumbers in a clump usually three to a hill. Those peeking in the picture are horseradish plants. I grow two on purpose and the extra are spontaneous growth from last year.