Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old February 24, 2013   #46
elight
Tomatovillian™

Worth, please take a look at the first two pages of the thread - the spray hose and main faucet are one in the same. It is a newer-type fixture, where the faucet pulls out and becomes the sprayer with the touch of a button. I posted a picture earlier.

What I posted a picture of is the ONLY place that water comes out of in my sink.
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2013   #47
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Under sink - Keeping in mind that I am a hack plumber (some of the other guys are probably better at this than I, Worth definitely is)

Your under sink setup does look like the one in the video, right?

I would try to stay away from the need for the compression fittings.

1. Break the existing water line as in the vid, insert tee, with the 2nd nipple coming out of the branch.
2. Get a 1/2 in to 1/2 in hose connector and connect to the branch.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_100999-104-L...nes&facetInfo=
3. Insert a - Watts A-663 Brass Garden Hose Adapter, 3/4-Inch x 1/2-Inch MPT, into the connector.
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-A-663-Garden-Adapter-4-Inch/dp/B004VT3S4G
(didn't see it on the lowes site)
4. Attach the garden hose shut off valve of your choice to the adapter.
5. Attach garden hose.
6. Water Plants.
7. Eat tomatoes.

You could forgo the 30 in supply line and just insert the garden hose adapter directly into the tee, but I would put the line in so I could have the shut off right inside the door as opposed to having to reach way to the back every time.
And don't forget to get a roll of the white thread tape and use it on every connection, including the hose connections.

Edit - for number 4 - use something like this as this line will be under pressure.
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

Last edited by JamesL; February 24, 2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: More info
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2013   #48
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by elight View Post
Worth, please take a look at the first two pages of the thread - the spray hose and main faucet are one in the same. It is a newer-type fixture, where the faucet pulls out and becomes the sprayer with the touch of a button. I posted a picture earlier.

What I posted a picture of is the ONLY place that water comes out of in my sink.

Oh I see sorry I didnt know you had one of those.

Do you have a water heater in you place?
If you do it would be simple to connect to the cold water side with a tee, valve and a hose bib.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2013   #49
elight
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, James, looks very doable. Worth, that's a great idea, but unfortunately, the water heater is in a locked closet (which, ironically, opens up to the patio - would be a perfect solution if this was a condo instead of an apartment!).
Old February 25, 2013   #50
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug9345 View Post
Another option is to unscrew your aerator from the kitchen faucet, take it to your hardware store or plumbing supply and explain that you want to hook a garden hose to the faucet. They should be able to find an adapter to help you.
Doug

I did this in my classroom. There was no water hookup near our school garden so I went to Home Depot and got a threaded adapter to fit on my classroom sink. Then we put the hose out my classroom window to water te garden. The kids thought it was extremely fun. It's probably also one of te cheapest solutions. Only thing I did wrong was that the threads were very sharp and I was screwing it on the spigot with my hand - I cut my fingers... Next time I'll wear work gloves.
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #51
elight
Tomatovillian™

Well, the EarthTainers are built, the tomatoes are going in tomorrow, and it's time to think about how I will deliver water to the patio, using all of the information everyone so kindly contributed in March. I went to Lowe's today and was able to find a fitting that seemed like it would screw into the sprayer hose on my sink. After some fiddling, I was able to attach it, although it just barely catches the threads (for reasons I don't understand... the size should be perfect... perhaps the threads are just ever-so-slightly different the connector on the hose):

And here's a close-up of the product:

Anyone have any idea for how I can clear the lines of water after each fill when I disconnect the hose, or at least avoid spilling it all over the place?
Old May 16, 2013   #52
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, threads are different for different materials, even when they are the same size. It will probably work, though. The metal will cut into the plastic and re-thread it. Does that connection hold water pressure all the time? It would be better if it didn't.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #53
elight
Tomatovillian™

I think you're asking if this will be a dedicated connection... it won't. I'm running it from my kitchen sink (I'm in a 1-bedroom apartment, so there aren't many options), so will hook it up every few days to fill up my water reservoir (a trash can) on the patio.

They also had similar brass connectors that had barb fittings on the other end. Do you think it's worth trying to see if the those threads are a better match?
Old May 16, 2013   #54
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Test drive what you have before you buy anything else. As long as it isnt leaky you should be set. When you unscrew this end gravity ought to take care of having the water run out.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013   #55
henry
Tomatovillian™

Expect you need a two part fix. The faucet adapters have the finer threads both inside and out then you would need a female hose to pipe adapter which would fit your connection.
http://www.henrycaron.com/photos/i-V...-Vr7jcPm-M.jpg

Worth I expect was on the right track.