Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old September 29, 2010   #1
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Default Closet Winter Glow out (and yes its tomatoes)

Wanted to do a winter grow out to try and get some F2 seed to grow out in spring for my Wild Tomato Breeding Project listed in the research forum. I will be using this post as a journal of it and will provide photos as it progresses. This is my first time growing under lights so hopefully it will all work out.

Lights I will be using are going to be CFL bulbs in 10 1/2 inch reflector clamp lights.

Eventually I will have two, the one in the image below is a 300w (68 actual watts) CFL with a standard base. This is the smaller of the 2 lights and is 2700k light temp which is what is used for blooming. Homedepot is dropping them from there inventory but may have them it was $17

The second light is used in photo and video production. These lights are actually a bit cheaper then the ones listed as grow lights and have a standard base, while the others of comparable size I have seen use a mogul base and require an expensive adapter or special fixture.

Flashpoint Replacement Fluorescent Bulb, 125 Watts, 5500k, Equivalent Output of 600 Watts, Fits Standard Household Sockets, E26 - E27

These lights can be found on Amazon for $23.95 plus shipping I think the one I have on order was $32 including shipping.

I have done some research and read about plant light spectrum absorption values to make sure this light will work for foliage growth commonly people recommend 6500k (I think this is because it is more common in the florescent bulbs). From the research I have done the best absorption value is actually 5700k and should always be at least 5000 + k so these should be fine.

I wanted to get my seed started while I wait for the other light so the following setup is just temp,

I will update as things progress.
Stepheninky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010   #2
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

I wanted to post this in a separate reply. In this post I am going to show you how I made the self watering pots that are in my temp set up and explain why they are a clear plastic.

The clear plastic is fairly easy to explain as I wanted to show how they are made for anyone interested. These too are temp containers and will be replaced soon as well.

I started with two containers (these are disposable deli food containers) and a sponge that I cut in half.

I then trimmed the dry sponges to fit in the bottom of the containers and wet them so they would expand.

Drill or poke holes in the second container and fill it with potting mixture. Use warm water and water the potting mixture in the sink in till it begins to drain. Once all excess water has drained place it in the container with the sponge. The sponge should hold and wick water to the soil as needed.

Thanks for reading will try and keep things updated.
Old September 29, 2010   #3
coloken
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

My best light for inside is made from a 36 inch aluminum air duct spred out for a reflector. Mount a T shaped double light sockek in the middle and I use two of the largest CFL bulb I can find. This was suggested over on some other discussion. It covers about 3 to 4 foot by about 18 inches.
coloken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010   #4
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloken View Post
My best light for inside is made from a 36 inch aluminum air duct spred out for a reflector. Mount a T shaped double light sockek in the middle and I use two of the largest CFL bulb I can find. This was suggested over on some other discussion. It covers about 3 to 4 foot by about 18 inches.
Thanks will keep that method in mind. They are using the 26 watt bubs that = 90 -100 watts of light right?

Not sure if I want these puppies in closed to much as they might get too hot. I know CFL does not put out a lot of heat but the one pictured seems to heat up fairly well and it is smaller than the one on order.
Old September 29, 2010   #5
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Not as much waste heat as an incandescent since mostly those emit infrared.

But there's still a ballast in there, albeit a computerized one with capacitors instead of the old resistive ballasts - and it makes heat. And something about making a plasma seems to heat things up just a bit.

Probably have to experiment to see just how hot things get. Here in Texas, during the 105 degree summer days, things in our plant (factory kind) that are up under the ceilings tend to get a bit warmer than other locales, so we have to be sure to have fans, etc. where others might not need them.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2010   #6
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

got a humidity and therm today, right now it is sitting at 82.4 and 42% humidity in the storage container, I bought one that records the highest and lowest temps ever to memory so makes it a little easier think it was $7 at wal-mart. That is just the one light though so will have to probably get a small fan when the second light goes in.
Old October 3, 2010   #7
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Here are some pics of the sprouts

First one is the Lycopersicon hirsutum x esculentum so far 2 of 4 seeds planted have come up

Second pic is of Lycopersicon esculentum x peruvianum with 4 0f 4 sprouting so far

So at 4 days since planted better germ rates than expected so far. Adorama Camera has finally sent me a tracking # for my 600 watt CFL (125 actual watt) bulb so hopefully it will be in this week. I also might get a mylar emergency blanket and use that to help reflect light.

Once the plants are up a bit I will cull them down to just one of each. Remember the main goal is just to grow them out and get seed so I will probably be pruning them back more than I would normally though of course I do hope to try a couple of tomatoes
Old October 3, 2010   #8
DanishGardener
Tomatovillian™

I don't think they are F1 crosses. The esculentum x peruvianum cross is being decribed as a natural cross (don't know how that is possible), and considering how difficult it supposedly is to make crosses between the esculentum complex and the peruvianum complex, it seems unlikely that they would be selling F1 seeds from that one.
The hirsutum x esculentum cross sounds quite unstable "Fruits are variable in size, from 1 oz up to several ounces. Fruits ripen to red, often with prominent lobes.".
DanishGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2010   #9
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishGardener View Post
I don't think they are F1 crosses. The esculentum x peruvianum cross is being decribed as a natural cross (don't know how that is possible), and considering how difficult it supposedly is to make crosses between the esculentum complex and the peruvianum complex, it seems unlikely that they would be selling F1 seeds from that one.
The hirsutum x esculentum cross sounds quite unstable "Fruits are variable in size, from 1 oz up to several ounces. Fruits ripen to red, often with prominent lobes.".
Ahh yes I know the esculentum x peruvianum is listed as a natural cross and the hirsutum x esculentum cross is listed as hybrid, I have asked Trade Wind Fruits in an email for any additional info that they might have. So for the time being since I do not know the full history am growing them out as if they are F1 generation but I also am doubtful that is the actual case as well.

As far as being unstable that is a bonus to me as I am wanting to segregate for improved lines.

The main concern is if they actually are the offspring of the wild types and if they are then it will make for a better bridge to crossing with the garden tomato.
Old October 3, 2010   #10
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Abstract
Although the garden tomato is very highly self-polli nated in most regions of cultivation, it is cross-pollinated at much higher rates in the range of its wild relatives— Ecuador, Peru, and northern Chile. Cohabitation of garden tomatoes and an intercompatible species in this region permits extensive gene exchange between them. These factors lead to a high level of variability and promote rapid evolution of new forms.

So I would say its possible, though I would think L. peruvianum would have to be the male parent in the cross.
Old October 4, 2010   #11
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Here is a pic of the newest set up, I installed a small wire rack and added mylar around it, in the front I have one of those car windshield reflector thingys.

I will be removing the top rack once my second light comes in.

Old October 4, 2010   #12
conyaks
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I'm using those 2700k bulbs that you have right now on my hydro jalapeno grow.. good stuff!!!
Good luck on your grow!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9300015.JPG (645.2 KB, 73 views)
conyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #13
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by conyaks View Post
Yeah I'm using those 2700k bulbs that you have right now on my hydro jalapeno grow.. good stuff!!!
Good luck on your grow!!
Glad to here those are working for you. I am really getting excited about the 600watt/ 125 actual watt full spectrum bulb I plan to add to this one when it gets here. Between those two I should have plenty of light for my grow.

Ohh and those are some great looking peppers BTW. Good luck with those. I almost made a fixture like that one myself.
Old October 4, 2010   #14
conyaks
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I ordered a 105w 5000k cfl thats has 7,120 lumens but found out when it arrived that I ordered the wrong base (mogul) now I'm scrambling to buy a e26 to e39 adapter.. Don't make the mistake I did!! Hopefully I can balance it out as all thats in there now is the 2700k.
conyaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4, 2010   #15
Stepheninky
Tomatovillian™

The reason I got mine from a camra shop is the ones they have fit E26 E27 standard bases as I did not want to have to get the adapter or a special base. I know amazon and ebay have the adapters most were between 10 -14 bucks.

The photo store ones are also a few dollars cheaper.

Here is the link to the one that is on the way:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product