Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 27, 2009   #1
pyxiestix
Tomatovillian™

Default Rabbit stew anyone??

this doesn't affect my tomatoes (which are doing beautifully now thanks to you guys!!) but i'm afraid it will soon....

those gosh darnoodley rabbits have eaten every single pea plant i planted!!

HOW do i get rid of them???? i don't have extra cash for commercial repellants (or fencing really) so anything natural would be great.

thanks in advance!
pyxiestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Since they're mammals, a hot pepper spray should discourage them. Otherwise, get dog, I guess.

I gave my sister one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Contech-Electr.../dp/B000071NUS

for her birthday, and so far it's keeping the deer and rabbits out of her garden. I thought one of you Mcgyver-types should be able to figure out a way to hook a recording of a dog barking or a snake hissing or something scary to a motion detector.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #3
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Rabbits should make good adobo, too.

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #4
pyxiestix
Tomatovillian™

lol gee, thanks, moonglow

i bought some jalapenos today & between those & the hot sauce & the cayenne pepper i have i'm hoping to keep then away...

i wonder if i sprayed that mixture on my bedroom door if it would keep the kids out...
pyxiestix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #5
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

I have a live trap. They are easy to trap and relocate.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009   #6
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyxiestix View Post
l
i wonder if i sprayed that mixture on my bedroom door if it would keep the kids out...
Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
I have a live trap. They are easy to trap and relocate.

Yabut, the authorities get their authoritarian knickers in a knot when I live trap the neighborhood kids, and I got in all kinds of trouble when I tried to relocate one. I'm not sure why, I turned it loose in a Mall. That's its natural environment, right?
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2009   #7
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

fence. period.

or a .22 but that requires you being there and they are active at night.

it does not require a big time fence, hey you can wrap chicken wire around the peas and use saplings for fence posts. i have a minor fence around my garden (28" tall). jumpers and climbers can easily get in but they don't bother, i have very polite deer! a rabbit views a 28" tall fence an impassable barrier. now if it was 12" i'm not sure but i'd bet they'd be baffled.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28, 2009   #8
CRAKSHOT
Tomatovillian™

Lay a widemouth canning jar on its side,and put some canning salt in it.Put these around the boundry of your garden.Rabbits will eat the salt,and leave your plants alone.I know it sounds stupid,but it works.
CRAKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2009   #9
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I agree with TJG 911. I know you say you do not have the money for fencing, but the only effective way to keep the rascals out of my garden is to surround the garden or even those crops the rabbits really like with an inexpensive poultry wire fence. A hundred foot roll of poultry wire fence two feet tall and a few electric fence posts (or short "C" posts) is an investment that can be reused for many years. My "chicken wire" is at least twenty years old and keeps the rabbits out nicely. I don't have to guard the garden, mix up the deterrent, bother the neighbors with a sound system or load up the gun.

My rabbit population can't jump, so any height will stop them. They do try to wiggle under so make sure there are no spaces at the bottom. I use landscape fabric u-shaped pins to anchor the fence. Peas, beans and beets along with lettuce and spinach are like candy for rabbits and deer. Once they taste them it is hard to keep them away. A fence is the best way I have found.