Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2021   #16
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have KB. and Limmony this year.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2021   #17
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Burpee's Orange Wellington hybrid. About 12 oz. average. Sweet/tart, about 75 days. Great taste, handsome, generally crack-free tomatoes. Very manageable plant size. Seeds typically available at Home Depot and Menards.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2021   #18
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Tobolsk was my favorite orange tomato several years ago, in a different climate. I need to try it in my current garden!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2021   #19
venturabananas
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the input. Some of the varieties mentioned I've tried some time ago and they had one shortcoming or another; others I haven't tried and now are on the list of "need to try some day".
venturabananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2021   #20
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I’m growing Northern Lights this year - it’s not strictly orange, more bi colored. I’ve grown Orange Strawberry - made a fabulous sauce. Wasn’t nuts about Kellogg’s or KBX.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2021   #21
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

For production, and consistently great balanced flavor, I've given up on orange tomatoes. I'll still grow them, but not more than a few varieties a year. Just a bit too much rain, and they can be bland. The same amount of rain doesn't affect the pinks.

If a yellow can substitute for an orange, Lillian's Yellow Heirloom is superb. It is late, but worth the wait.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2021   #22
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Is Nebraska Wedding Orange, or yellow. At any rate, I have good luck with it, though I think I like Moonglow better.
Old April 12, 2021   #23
NoahYates
Tomatovillian™

Yoder's Yellow German has been the stand-out yellow/orange tomato in my trials. It continuously produces lots of large beefsteaks with dense, meaty texture and a strong, yet balanced flavor between acidic and sweet. Its also relatively early for such a large beefsteak. The vines are healthy too. My fiancé chose it as her over-all favorite tomato.

However, I am still on the hunt to track down an orange variety I grew in 2016 that tasted extremely fruity... almost like a persimmon (I know there is a variety with that name, but it was not one I trialed.) That year I used a poor labeling system and as a result couldn't tell which of the approximately 13 yellow/orange tomatoes I trialed that year was the special one. However, I do remember it being a smaller sized tomato, perfectly spherical with a very dark orange flesh (not yellow.) I have been trying to track it down after I tasted it and couldn't believe the exotic tropical flavor coming from a tomato. This year I am going to re-trial Juane Flammee` in hopes that it is the mystery orange tomato of 2016. Whenever I can identify that mystery tomato it will be my new recommendation.

Last edited by NoahYates; April 12, 2021 at 06:39 PM.
NoahYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2021   #24
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Noah, Did you perhaps grow Dr Wyche's Yellow? I have no personal experience with it but it sounds good with a tropical flavor

Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2021   #25
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Noah, I would not be surprised if you found out your delicious mystery tomato was, in fact, Jaune Flammee. It's long been one of my favorite orange ones.
Old April 12, 2021   #26
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Venturabananas looking for delicious tomato which for himme means strong tomato flavor with a balance of sweet and some tartness.
Is there an orange tomato that has a strong tomato flavor? I have a feeling that orange tomatoes have a fruity taste rather than a tomato one.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2021   #27
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Our Belarusian tomato varieties Orange-1 and Orange Minsk are both real hits with a very balanced flavour, but Orange-1 is not a beefy, but medium sized. There are no so many orange varieties with not just a standard "too sweet yaste"

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 14, 2021 at 01:27 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2021   #28
Canehdian
Tomatovillian™

I continue to be impressed with Jim Dandy, it seems to do everything well for me and the flavour is top tier. Orange Minsk is even better taste but seems to be a less predictable plant for my conditions but others do real well with it.
Canehdian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2021   #29
eyolf
Tomatovillian™

When I originally saw this thread, and the "beefsteak", I didn't have much to add. In my growing area, big beefsteaks are a bit unreliable. We get some every year, sometimes many, often only a few, and the greenies ripen inside.

Good enough to can, but not tops for flavor.

But I DO love two orange globes. Djena Lee, and Faribo Gold Heart.

Djena is well-known.

I don't get many heart-shaped tomatoes from Faribo, but the flavor is good, and it has one other quality I truly appreciate; it stays attractive and tasty longer than most; we had the last one at Thanksgiving last year... weeks after the frost killed everything off.

Faribo was developed at the U of MN in the 1950's and released through Farmer's Seed and Nursery in Faribault, MN. Farmer's seed, like other Midwestern Seed houses (Gurney's, Henry Field, Northrupp-King, etc) is no more.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Old April 16, 2021   #30
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing "Orange Romanian Heirloom" (no idea) plus Woodle Orange. Looking forward to trying Woodle Orange. Baker Creek carried it last year I think, but they have reduced their seed offerings this year.
GreenThumbGal_07 is offline   Reply With Quote