Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 14, 2007   #31
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Three days and a wake up! This is getting about as exciting as getting out of the Army. :-) I like Jerry's forecast! Even better than what I asked for.

We're going to have a grand ol' time, and those that can't make it, well heck, we'll be so busy having a great time we probably won't even miss you. LOL. :-) But really, we will.
Old August 14, 2007   #32
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Earl, if you have Ray's phone #, he really needs a wake up call. I miss that ol' rascal. He's been AWOL for awhile.
Dave
Old August 15, 2007   #33
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default CHOPTAG Taste Fest

"My Gary will be bringing Salen's Hot Dogs, a local famous brand, for everyone to sample. It will definitely give him something to do(grilling) and hopefully keep him out of trouble." Remy

Remy, I am looking forward to meeting you both in person. I am in the process of seed saving; I will bring several different kinds of Homemade Heirloom Catsup made from these tomatoes to go with your Gary's Salen Hot Dogs. In addition I will be making a good Coleslaw for a topping or a side dish. We hope that this will be the best vacation time you ever had and will do whatever it takes to make it so!
Gary
Old August 15, 2007   #34
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Homemade Heirloom Catsup
Yummmm... That sounds like Jerry is going to have to make another award for
best tasting Catsup. Please share the recipe of the winner!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old August 15, 2007   #35
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Dave,

I sent Ray and a few others an e-mail asking where the heck they've been and to remind them of the Taste Fest.

Here is Ray's reply: "Bringin' the whole clan, a tomato lover but not grower
from Madeira and an out of town guest...and of
course..the taste fest banner . Tomatoes might be
another matter..just now I am finally getting some
blushers...great fruit set but slow ripening this
year..Can't wait until the 18th!

Ray"

So we'll see if he still remembers by the 18th.
Old August 15, 2007   #36
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Gary,
That's great! Homemade ketchup and coleslaw, my Gary will love that. I know we are going to have a great time with you all.
Tomatoes have started getting ripe. I picked a bunch yesterday, but I was looking around and I don't think much will be ready to go on Friday. Just like all the Tobacco Worm beans that are developing, they will all probably be ready to pick while we gone! Well, whatever is ready then is ready then. I can't rush mother nature.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old August 15, 2007   #37
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I'll also bring some Catawassa onion sets.

"Catawissa Strain (1885) This strain of onion is the tallest of the Egyptian onions, believed to have originated near Catawissa, PA and is only a slight modification of the Egyptian tree onion. The "Vegetable Garden" by Vilmorin-Andrieux first published in English in 1885 describes this American strain of onion. This variety can grow to over two and a half feet in height. Because of the large diameter of the hollow green portion of the plant, it is excellent for stuffing with cream cheese or other spreads. It's sets are reddish-brown and it has a unique habit of producing top-sets out of the top-sets that develop on the plant, which in part accounts for the plants unusual height. It is extremely winter hardy and has been grown as far north as Alaska. Egyptian Walking Onions, Top-set onions, tree onions, or walking onions are various names used to describe a family of very hardy perennial, multiplying, top setting onions. They produce table ready green onions (scallions) from top or bottom sets. They produce small bulblets on the end of the stalks in the second year of the plant's growth. Some varieties ( and Catawissas are definitely one of them) produce a second clump of top-sets out of the first cluster of sets. This type is often referred to as a tree onion because of these branching characteristics. These could possibly be used in flower arrangements. As the weight of the bulbs increases the plant stalks fall to the ground, which may be as much as two feet from the parent plant. The bulbs waste no time in putting down roots. This is why these varieties are sometimes referred to as a walking onion. If you do not want the plant to spread throughout your garden, the top-sets should be harvested. The flavor of these top-sets is somewhat spicy. They are delicious pickled. In addition to producing top-sets, the parent plant divides at the base producing an abundant supply of green scallions for salads, gazpacho and other soups or casseroles. When harvesting, always be sure to leave at least one onion in the ground so the plant will continue to multiply and keep you supplied with onions for a lifetime."
Old August 15, 2007   #38
tomatoaddict

Well, besides the mators, I think I'll bring dessert and beverages. Maybe some pop and some waters? Put them on ice. Also, I would love to have some fresh seed from Levino if anyone has any.
I can bring fresh seed for : Red Barn, Black Mountain Pink,
Purple Hillbilly, or( Blaby ) for trade. See you all Sat.
Terry
Old August 16, 2007   #39
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Hey Terry

I didn’t (don’t) find Blaby to be all that bad. I won’t say it will ever make my top 10 list but I didn’t spit it out. I’ll bring some Saturday and we can compare.
Old August 16, 2007   #40
tomatoaddict

Jerry, someone else told me the same thing. Said theirs was tasty. I will have to bring some for comparison. 8)
Old August 16, 2007   #41
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

Terry:
I'll be happy to bring you 25+/- Levino seeds saved in Aug 2006.
Dave
Old August 16, 2007   #42
tomatoaddict

That would be great Dave...I'll have some seed with me in case you want something. See you Sat.
Old August 16, 2007   #43
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

Okay you smart alecks (cleaned up for a family style forum! ), I will be there with bells on..on Saturday..the 18th!...at noon...with the little sprouts and guests...anyone else bringing kids? I am bringing my world famous (very small world)CHOPTAG Lemon Salsa and a tortellini salad..my better half will bring cookies of some sort..OF course our fine banner mysteriously missing from last years photos...Can't say if I will have a spare mater after that...still slow on the ripening..Just a few Kelloggs and Sungolds so far...Maybe we can have a tree cutting picnic at my house! I NEED some more sunshine (and less skeeters).

The often confused but not this time,
Ray
Old August 16, 2007   #44
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Terry,
I hope I didn't say Blably was as a spitter-outter, it's much better than anything from the grocery. :-) Please don't let the consensus on its taste keep you from searching out other unknown types because that's how the great one are found. You did great on getting it and letting us try it. The next one may be the next Elvis. :-)
Old August 16, 2007   #45
tomatoaddict

LOL thanks Earl. You know there was only 1 Elvis and he's not dead.