Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old March 6, 2007   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default How many to plant? Advice?

I've never grown eggplant before, but wanted to try it this year. I have no idea how well seeds germinate or how productive an eggplant is in general. So I have no idea how many seeds to start. Can anyone advise me on that?

I love eggplant, but my hubbie won't touch it. I do have a few friends who would probably take excess fruit from me. I wouldn't want to eat it every day, but maybe twice a week. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me since I am a newbie at this.

How difficult are eggplant to grow compared to tomatoes and peppers? Do they need staking? How well do the seeds germinate? What kind of production is typical? I'm just full of questions. LOL!

Last edited by Fert1; March 6, 2007 at 12:41 PM.
Fert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2007   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Fert1. Generally speaking, the Asian (long, skinny) types are more productive for me than the Italian (bell or teardrop) shaped ones, but I think which kind you plant depends on how you want to cook with them. The skinny one are well suited to ratatouille or stir fry or pickling and the fat ones are better for slicing and grilling or casseroles like eggplant parmesan. A couple of years ago I grew two Louisiana Long Green, the skinny kind, and those two plants alone produced at least 40 fruit, probably more. So if you're the only one eating them, I'd say two plants. And then again I've had the rounder ones like Rosa Bianca only produce a few fruit all summer. Why not try one of each shape and see what you like? And maybe try a couple of different colors.

For me, eggplant is easier to germinate than peppers but not quite as easy as tomatoes. I use short stakes or cages for my plants. Heavy fruit can pull them over and some taller varieties can snap in high winds. Once out in the garden, I think they're easy to grow. Not too demanding at all.

Have fun!
Old March 6, 2007   #3
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for the advice. I will probably go with the Asian types then. I tend to like stir-frys and such, and I think the long skinny types are more tender as a general rule. I have heard very good things about the Rosa Bianca though.
Old March 6, 2007   #4
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fert1 View Post
How difficult are eggplant to grow compared to tomatoes and peppers? Do they need staking? How well do the seeds germinate? What kind of production is typical? I'm just full of questions. LOL!
I didn't find them difficult at all and, in fact, I thought they were quite easier to grow than tomatoes, but I grew them in a greenhouse. Most of mine needed to be staked by the end of the season. From my Diamonds and Little Spookys last year I got maybe about 6-8 fruits for each. Fairy Tale produced pretty heavily. Rosa Bianca yielded lightly for me, but was gorgeous fruit and good tasting.

Germination for me was about 1/3.

Last edited by MawkHawk; March 7, 2007 at 12:22 PM.
MawkHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2007   #5
duajones
Tomatovillian™

First time for me also. I had 100 percent germination of the black beauty variety. I am only growing one or 2 plants, just enough for personal consumption.
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I grew 16 plants between two and will grow 26 next year... there's so much you can do with the stuff. I think you need more
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #7
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

I read through all the threads here before deciding how many seeds to presoak last night. Many said they had poor germination, so I figured 6 seeds less 50%..allow a plant or two for the cutworms...Should be just about right for Moi..
Note: Husband said 'you're growing what?? Who are you growing that for?'

And now I see Grub saying 16 to 26 plants for how many persons?? I feel so ashamed and narrow minded
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #8
cdntomato
Tomatovillian™

W, I'll seed up some extras for you. Grew 14 eggie varieties last year. Not sure how many this one.

Jennifer
cdntomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #9
bluelacedredhead
Tomatovillian™

Jennifer, I would love that. TY.
bluelacedredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #10
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
I grew 16 plants between two and will grow 26 next year... there's so much you can do with the stuff. I think you need more
You seem to be very sure your Grublette will eat all your extra fruit, Grub!
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2007   #11
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Lol Spatz.

Last night, three-hours sleep... she drinks like a fish, so I'll have to make sure we have plenty of produce for the milk factory.

Once I discovered that I can keep quick pickled eggplant in the fridge for a month or more that's when they became a part of most meals... really nice.

Mine are manly startnig to flower again now, but I'm thinking of cutting them back and seeing if they'll last through winter.
Old March 8, 2007   #12
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

3 hours! Better than only 2 hours! *grins*

Yes, sustenance is very important. But - THAT many eggplants?

Overwintering is definitely worth a try in your climate. Will be interesting to hear how that's going.
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2007   #13
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Hey, Grub. Do you pickle eggplant just like making cucumber pickles? Can you give us a quick recipe?
Old March 10, 2007   #14
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I just slice the eggplants, no salting, light spray with olive oil to keep it healthy, barbecue taking care not to burn them, then I make 50/50 best-quality Extra Virgin Olive Oil and best red-wine vinegar and sliced garlic. Whisk dressing and pour over eggplant in non-reactive container. Fridge for 12-24hrs up to month or more... topping up with grilled eggplant as needed. Some might think too acidic but the char-grilling brings out the sugars in the eggies... if you get some real tahini for Middle East or elsewhere and mash some eggplant and add a tbs of tahini you get babaganoush... mmmm.... I also use the drained slices on lunch rolls, chopped in pasta, as basis for char-grilled veggie stack as entree, as foundation for lamb grill with homous... chopped in salad... straight from the tub in the fridge as healthy snack... drain dressing to keep oil and marinade in the tub... you don't need too much dressing for a pile of eggplants. Simple and yummy. And you can taste the difference and texture in the different eggplants.
Old March 10, 2007   #15
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Has anyone tried smoking eggplant after briefly sauteeing on the barbie? I reckon it would be kinda interesting with some roasted tomatoes and bell peppers/capsicums

PP