Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old June 4, 2006   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAGers, How's the plants doin?

Mine's doing ok so far, considering they went through five-10 minutes of marble sized hail and a deluge of heap big proportions. Tomorrow I need to spray the plants with that Ortho stuff with the Daconil in it because I had to wash all my plants for I didn't get them mulched before the big rain hit and they got splattered with dirt.

I ended up planting about 40-50 types. Will post what I planted if someone starts a 'what got planted thread.' I'm eating Kimberlys now, got about 10 on the kitchen counter.

Has anyone heard from Steve? He didn't make it to the plant exchange. Anyway, hope everyone is doing just dandy and that life is merry and satisfying.
Old June 5, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

I'm not a CHOPTAG chick but I wannabe. Does that count? Just wanted to let you know that my Earl's are a handsome duo. I put them next to Kimberly to encourage them. I had three but I let an Amish guy guilt me out of one. He pulled the "so sad I'll never be able to try that because I can't use the Internet" line of guilt. I think he tossed in some God, my lack of a bra at the time and hinted that Oil of Delay wouldn't work anymore if I didn't let him have a plant. I miss that plant.
Old June 5, 2006   #3
valereee
Tomatovillian™

My plants are really taking off -- especially the two I stuck in the earthbox! I started staking this weekend on the others. Planted 15 in total.

I have a Kimberly turning color, but none ripe yet.

Val
Old June 5, 2006   #4
Dave_Z6
CHOPTAG™

I have 140 plans out and 91 variaties.
Have had a few Kimberly(thanks Earl)
Extreme Bush has two almost ready to pick.
Matina,Moskvich,First Lady,Azoychka and Gregori's Altai
all having lots of green ones.Should have some Matinas
to feast on in about two weeks.
Plants look so good it's scary, but it's not EB time yet.
Right now I'm pleased..
Dave
Old June 5, 2006   #5
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Well, here is what I managed to get planted this year.

Many have blossoms but the only one with fruit, the size on a pea, is Yellow Perfection.

Based on the reports by Earl and Dave I can see a greenhouse in my future. :wink: :wink:

Amish Old Red
Amish Yellow
Arkansas Traveler
Aunt Gertie's Gold
Aunt Ginny's Purple
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Austrailian Heart
Big Rainbow
Black Cherry
Box Car Willie
Box Car Willie - Impersonator
Brandywine, Quisenbury
Brandywine, Suddith
Break 'o Day
Cherokee Chocolate
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Purple
Columbia
Coustralee
Dinner Plate
Dr. Carolyn
Dr. Lyle
Eva Purple Ball
Evergreen
Green Giant
Guido
Italian Sweet
KBX - Kellogg's Breakfast PL Cross
Kimberly
Kosovo
Lillian's Yellow Heirloom
Little Lucky
Lucky Cross
Marianna's Peace
Mark Twain
Mortgage Lifter, Estlers
Mountianeer Mystery
Mule Team
Noir de Crimee
Omar's Lebanese
Orange Strawberry
Phenomenal
Polish (Ellis)
Polish C
Red Barn
Reif Red Heart
Rose de Berne
San Francisco Fog
Sioux
Sungold
Thai Pink Egg
Tidwell German
Trophy
Turkey Chomp
Wes
Wuhib
Yellow Perfection
Old June 5, 2006   #6
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Reign,
You're a true CHOPTAGer! So fess up, how many more plants did you force on that Amish guy? :-) I don't think CHOPTAG would have a problem with you becoming an Honorary CHOPTAGer, so if the President sanctions it, you be one of US!

Val,
Only 15? We're gonna have to work on you at the Taste Fest. LOL.

Dave,
You must be part goffer to plant that many holes!!!

Jerry,
I reckon I'll have to hand deliver some ripe Fauxs? :-)

Well, I managed 48 types this year. And don't forget to spray your plants with Ortho Garden Disease Control ----BEFORE---- your plants get sick, which means spray them right now.

Earl’s Faux
Aunt Gertie’s Gold
Cherokee Purple
Carbon
Noir de Crimee
Polish
Yellow Brandywine
Burracker’s Favorite
Lester’s
Humph
Kosovo
Wes
Grub’s Mystery Green
Green Giant
Coustralee
Novikov’s Giant
Anaras Noire
Andes Horn
Picardy
Mama Leone
Prue
Ceylon
Mountain Mystery
Giraffe
Kentucky Heirloom
German
Granny Cantrell’s German Red
Moscow Delicious
Lil’s Favorite Red Beefsteak
Milka’s Red Bulgarian

Cherry Types

Peruvian Bush
Black Cherry
Green Grape
Galina’s Yellow
Besser
Chuck Wyatt’s Red Cherry
Raphael
Mexico Midget

Early Types

Kimberly
Preleska
Silvery Fir Tree
Lime Green Salad
Moskvich
Leningradski
Mano
New Big Dwarf
Polish Dwarf
Extreme Bush
Old June 5, 2006   #7
valereee
Tomatovillian™

Earl, I only found room for fifteen once I had a Maple tree taken down! I have a very shady yard.

I do have a bed on the east-southeastern side of my house that gets plenty of morning sun. I might be able to put some tomatoes in there -- they'd probably get four or five hours of morning sun.

BTW, I just put in a green garlic bed! I planted around 100 cloves, I guess. They're already sprouting. If I get too much, I'm hoping the local produce market will take them for me.

Val
Old June 6, 2006   #8
Tom_Ato
Tomatovillian™

Hi Earl, the good news is that the plant is still alive. It's got about ten tomatoes on it and I have eaten two more. The bad news is that I had to cut off 90% of the foliage because it was diseased. I didn't think it would make it at all but it's plugging away, and besides I wanted to eat those ten tomatoes.

Funny thing though, I have two more "Kimberly" plants that have variegated foliage. I don't think they're Kimberly, but I've never grown any type of variegated plant. Any ideas what could have happened? Possible sources of the mixup could have been the CHOPTAG seed swap or plant exchange.

I just took a couple pictures, but haven't posted photos here yet, so I'll post later.

Ken
Old June 12, 2006   #9
rsolinski
CHOPTAG™

My plants are lookin' scary good too...I won't post my puny list in the face of Dave, Earl and Jerry's gargantuan lists, lest mine feel inferior ...My Earl's Faux was slow to germinate..kinda sat there spinning it's wheels under the lights..Looked like a trouble maker (like it's namesake!)..Even after planting it was still a lollygagger..Kinda fella you would find smokin' in the boys room at school....Now it is the star of the lot ..huge stem, beautiful leaves..had another Black Cherry that was broken off at ground level with one leaf left (falling branch during storm)..I left it in to see what would happen and holy cow, it is as big as everyone else now..and bushy too...I think I will spray some ortho as well as I only got about half of the bed mulched and these plants are too gosh darnoodleyed pretty to let anything happen to them... any thoughts on a CHOPTAG cookout? I could host if anyone is interested...

Ray
Old June 22, 2006   #10
Miss_Mudcat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Earl! Hi Everybody!

I planted over 150, including 37 varieties. I planted a few early in WOWs: Anna Russian (which are loaded with green tomatoes), American Beauty (which each have at least one very large tomato) and Kimberly (which have been producing pretty steady for at least 5 weeks - I've been including them in our CSA customer's box for that long, and I was eating a few each week before then.)

Anyhow, my most vigorous grower, healthy looking foliage of those planted out at the usual time, is Polish... WOW, it's a beauty of a plant.

I have fruit on at least half of my plants, and I ought to be getting ripe Mexico Midgets and 4th of July very soon.

Oh, the plants I got from CHOPTAGers are doing fine... I lost one - Black Plum.

AND, I grew Lime Green Salad to sell seedlings at market, but I didn't plant any here cause I just don't get into the "green when ripe" thing, that is UNTIL I tasted one! I had 2 that I had potted up to 1/2 gallon pots and they were being greatly neglected, but when I got a ripe one, sliced and ate it.... OH MY GOSH! I immediately planted those 2 and started searching through our market plants, and only found 3, which I planted RIGHT AWAY! Wowsa... I LOVE those! (Of course, this is coming from a pregnant gal.... many things taste ESPECIALLY good to me right now.)

Hope everyone is having a GREAT SUMMER!

Lisa
Old June 24, 2006   #11
Earl
Tomatovillian™

My plants are all looking great. I think that next week I'll spray them one last time as they're starting to get so big that it'll be a pain to spray every leaf. I'm starting to get a lot of small fruit.

Other than Kimberly, my first early type will be SFT.

Has anyone had to water yet? I haven't.
Old June 25, 2006   #12
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I just came in from the garden a few minutes ago. Pulled a few weeds, took some pictures, lamented over the fact that I’m weeks away from ripe fruit.

All my plants are looking real healthy and most are loaded with plenty of blossoms. Out of 65 plants about a dozen have set fruit but they are still pea size. Hard to say at this time what will ripen first but since Kimberly has set fruit I’ll put my money on her.

Earl I did water once a couple of weeks ago. We have a 4 or 5 day dry spell here. Of course the day after I watered it rained.
Old June 25, 2006   #13
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Jerry, the next time I need rain, I'll have you come over and water my plants. :-) I'm not sure what to make of it, but the first main season plants I planted are not growing as robustly as the ones I planted later.

A couple of my early type SFTs are about ready to pick and some others maybe in a week or so. But most of my main season ones are a long ways off from being ripe.
Old June 26, 2006   #14
valereee
Tomatovillian™

We've had such a weird June! I don't have anything close to ripe, either, other than Earl's Kimberly.
Old June 27, 2006   #15
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

I have some 'almost' full size fruit on a few plants. Cut down to 97 plants this year vs. 135 last year.

Only have picked Kimberly so far, but Russian Apple Tree and 'gasp' Wisconsin 55 have good size fruit on the vine. Also SFT is producing great as usual....and the biggest..most monstrous plant thus far is Big Blue River....never grew it before...just picked it because of the name.

Only have about 6 in pots with full-size fruit...but the pencil wore off the markers...so until I get ripe fruit....some are mysteries. (I blame Bully)

Duane