Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old October 7, 2006   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Less Bitter Eggplant Varieties - ways to counter?

I have recently developed a taste for eggplant in a big way, and I was considering trying to grow eggplant next season. I just wondered what would be some good varieties to consider growing. I seem to be especially sensitive to bitterness in most anything. So varieties that don't tend to get bitter would be a big plus for me.

Also in the off season, when you can only purchase it from the store, is there anything that can be done to counter the bitterness? Soaking it in something? Salting? I love it, but I'm very put off by anything bitter, eggplant or otherwise.
Old October 7, 2006   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Generally speaking, the lighter the skin color, the milder the flavor. From the garden, I pick my eggplant a little smaller than what you'd see it in the store, so I seldom have a problem with bitterness at home.

When I do buy one, I look first for the ones that still have glossy skin. I also try to find the ones that feel heavy for their size. I've tried salting and soaking but it's never made much difference to me. If the seeds are large, dark colored and bitter, there's not much I can do about that.

You may find it's just one of those foods you only eat if you've grown it yourself. A lot of people feel that way about eggplant. Then you're in control of the variety and when they're picked.
Old October 7, 2006   #3
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

If you don't mind the skinny oriental type of eggplants, Ping Tung is the only variety out of 5 I grew that was bitter free at every stage I used it....Fairly early too.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2006   #4
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I especially like the oriental types of eggplant. Ping Tung, huh? I will have to try that one. I also gather that Rosa Bianca is a popular one. Thanks for the suggestions!

Is eggplant difficult to grow?
Old October 7, 2006   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

What eggplant needs is heat and you should have plenty of that in SC, so I think you'll be fine.

Yes, I'd say Rosa Bianca is the mildest variety I've ever eaten. I've grown it twice. Very good. Another one with the same shape as the Asian varities is Louisiana Long Green. It has mild flavor and from the two plants I had last summer, I'd estimate I picked at least 30 fruits, maybe 40, no kidding. I think the longer, thinner varieties are generally more productive than the bell shaped ones. Usually earlier too, I believe. If you want to use the longer ones for something like eggplant parmesan, you can cut them lengthwise like lasagna noodles and use them that way.

Have fun!
Old October 8, 2006   #6
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I grew Rosa Bianca this year and there was no bitterness either. And as shelletbean said, the lighter colored ones are less bitter. White eggplants have no bitterness.

If you use the purple ones, in addition to picking the younger ones with glossy skin, choosing the males instead of the females will result in less seedy eggplant.

The males have a circular blossom end, while the females have a short line as a blossom end.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2006   #7
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean
If you want to use the longer ones for something like eggplant parmesan, you can cut them lengthwise like lasagna noodles and use them that way.
Actually, I'm not that big into eggplant parmesan. When I make eggplant it is usually a Szechuan stir fry, or else Indian Curry type dish. So I usually cut it up into fairly small pieces anyway. That's one of the reasons I like the Asian types better. That and the fact that they seem to cook up more tender from what I've seen. I'm really just now getting into eggplant. I used to think I didn't like it. I just had never before had it prepared in a way that I liked.
Old October 8, 2006   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it sounds like the Asian types are more up your alley. There are a couple of long, white ones that are supposed to be really mild and sweet. I think one is just called Long White and the other is called Chinese Sword. I believe www.mariseeds.com carries both.
Old October 8, 2006   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Italian white egg was very bitter for me this past summer and chinese white sword was ok, but Ping tung outproduced them and didn't get bitter even when overmature...Thai Long green is very productive too, sometimes called Elephant tusk....I am only going to grow a few plants next year , so I have extra seed if you would like to try several Holly, just pm me and I will send you plenty...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8, 2006   #10
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

montanamato, That is so sweet! Thank you. I will.

And Shellybean, thanks for the seed info.
Old October 9, 2006   #11
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Holly, we'd love for you to post your recipes in the recipe thread. They sound great.
Old October 10, 2006   #12
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MawkHawk
Holly, we'd love for you to post your recipes in the recipe thread. They sound great.
Hmm... well I did already post about my curry. Problem is I'm the sort of cook who never measures anything for the most part. I throw in whatever I think will taste good. Then I sample it, decide what else it needs and add other things until it tastes "right". I know that's frustrating when you want a recipe. My mom used to do the same thing to me. "Well you add the right amount." "What is the right amount?" "Well, it just is. I can show you." <sigh!>

I can post the original recipes I started with, but I've adjusted them to suit my own tastes, as I usually do. I'm a pretty good cook, if I do say so myself. It's one of the reasons my husband and I have expanding waist-bands. LOL!

P.S.
I went back and added the starting recipes in the Eggplant Recipe thread.
Old October 25, 2006   #13
Colorado_west
Tomatovillian™

My mother always soaked the eggplant slices in salt water. Guess I have never tasted a bitter one. I suppose maybe and hour or so. Water turns black. I soak it because she did. Cloud nine white eggplant is milder.
Colorado_west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2006   #14
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Shellybean,

I find the opposite true when selecting fruit to eat from the garden. For example, black beauty fruits, and japanese longs are usually less bitter the more purple they are. The few fruits that are lighter are usually crap. Cheers Vince.
Old December 7, 2006   #15
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I mean light vs dark varieties, not light or dark within one variety. So a white variety would generally be milder than a dark purple one. I usually equate the darker skin with a stronger flavor.