Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 17, 2010   #1
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Default Yellow sticky whitefly strips

After years of thinking that hanging yellow sticky strips in my glasshouse for help with whitefly control was hokum I decided to try them.
Within 4 hours there is a cluster of corpses on each so perhaps it does work.
Probably this subject has been talked about plenty of times. If so I have missed it. Anyone else use these strips and are the results worth while?
Cheers
Glenn
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2010   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Glenn: I have used them a lot in the glasshouse. When I am not lazy, I have even made my own. They work great!
Old April 17, 2010   #3
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

One summer we had a very bad infestation in a small university greenhouse. I tried regular sticky traps, but watched as half of the flies bounced off of new traps, and even more as the traps covered over with flies. I then took yellow solo cups and coated them with Tree Tanglefoot. Nothing bounced off and the cups stayed effective for years. The cups could be placed on the benches mouth down or put on sticks and placed in the pots. Its hard to say if the cups cut down the population faster than they were breeding on the plants, but they sure did catch whiteflies and fungus gnats. I would bump a plant and the cloud of flies mostly went for the cup.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote