Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 3, 2021   #1
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Default Anybody use AgroThrive Organic Fertilizer?

I'm trying it this year. (AgroThrive Organic 3-3-2 General Purpose Fertilizer) Working good on seedlings so far.
Interesting stuff, was previously only marketed to organic farmers, but now available for gardeners. Primarily fish hydrolysate based combined with corn steep liquor and fermented. Smells something like soy sauce.

The Science Behind PDP
We apply food science, microbiology, biochemistry, and fermentation technologies as the main tools to perfect our Progressive Digestion Process.

The Progressive Digestion Process (PDP) is an environmentally responsible technology that bridges the gap between industrial food waste and nutritious organic fertilizers in just 21 days.

PDP harnesses the natural microbial and enzymatic digestion of organic inputs to break down raw materials while creating biological heat, eliminating harmful pathogens in the process.

This digestion is achieved without adding any outside inoculum or external heat to kill pathogens.

https://agrothrive.com/
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2021   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I just found AgroThrive last fall and I love it. You can see plants respond within hours. I use the Fruiting & Flowering formula 3-3-5. It has an aroma that only worms would like.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2021   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

That's good to know the product works as advertised for you..
I bought the General Purpose 3-3-2, the only difference I can see with the Fruiting & Flowering is the bump in the K to 3-3-5, I have plenty of Potassium here to bump it up myself during the flowering/fruiting stage. Besides, Ace Hardware sells only the General Purpose and the 2.5 gal jug is only $36.99 ship to store. Best price around by far. I'm cheap, so that worked for me.

Well it doesn't smell like fish, the AgroThrive people said it smells like soy sauce and I agree the aroma is closest to that. Some lady on YouTube said it smelled like chocolate
— I don't think so.
Old April 5, 2021   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Here is a link to the science behind AgroThrive process (2 Videos in a row).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPQirKjgZdY

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2021   #5
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered some from ACE to give it a try.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2021   #6
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting. I ordered their free sample pack ($4.95 shipping). Certainly worth a look!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2021   #7
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Looks to be fairly expensive, they're dosage rate is high,it would cost a fortune for a large garden.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2021   #8
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Dosage and cost is relative to what you are growing, how often you feed, and what other fertilizers and supplements you are using in combination.
I've been using it on seedling greens and onions at 1oz/gal and they are doing just fine.
Will start fertilizing herbs and Brassicas real soon.
Not there yet for weeks yet on Tomatoes, Pepper and such. Plan to play around with the dosages and times between feedings.
Old April 7, 2021   #9
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

RayR- let us know what you think, and dosage rate as well. A lot of ferts use half as much, that's what turned me off of it, but I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2021   #10
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
Looks to be fairly expensive, they're dosage rate is high,it would cost a fortune for a large garden.
I concur.

I ordered the 'free' sample - 4 oz of each. The bottle are cute but tiny. The dosage is the entire 4 oz per gallon. I grow in containers so it would be super expensive. I even asked the question, thinking maybe you don't need to use the entire gallon per plant, but the response was otherwise.

I remember seeing the 2.5 gallon for a decent price but when you need 4 oz, that only makes 80 gallons. In comparison, 1 gallon of TTF (texas tomato food) makes 256 gallons.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2021   #11
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I ordered a quart of the 3-3-5 and am planning on running a somewhat controlled test and see if I notice a difference. I plan on using 2 Celebrity (they do well in my bed) and one will get agrothrive and my own compost. The other will get fish emulsion and liquid kelp and my compost.

ACE said they can order the 2.5 gal size, but I have to order a minimum of 2, which would be $70. Yikes!
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2021   #12
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Help! I just got a qt of 3-3-2 Agrothrive today and can't get the bottle open !! When I (or my much stronger brother) push down on the cap and twist to open, we just get clicking noises and and a spinning cap . Any tips on how to open it? I'm about to poke a hole in the container and pour it off into pint water bottles!

TIA,
Anne
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2021   #13
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Anne,

I would email them and ask for a replacement bottle. They seem to be very customer friendly folks and will likely send you a new bottle. (They have a 90 day satisfaction guarantee so put it to the test).

Email Dragan and I am sure he will help you out: Dragan from AgroThrive Organic Fertilizers <support@agrothrive.com>;

Raybo

Last edited by rnewste; April 9, 2021 at 10:09 PM.
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2021   #14
aclum
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Raybo!

I got impatient and finally drilled a 1/8 in hole in the top of the handle and poured some of the well shaken Agrothrive out into a pint water bottle. Only a couple of drips and I can tape over the hole between uses for now. But I will e-mail Dragen to let him know what happened.

I just gave some of the mix (5 ml to 16 oz water) to several of my seedlings in cups. I'll report back if there are any exciting changes in the next few days/week.

Anne

Last edited by aclum; April 10, 2021 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Removed incorrect info re: company's location
aclum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2021   #15
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
I ordered a quart of the 3-3-5 and am planning on running a somewhat controlled test and see if I notice a difference. I plan on using 2 Celebrity (they do well in my bed) and one will get agrothrive and my own compost. The other will get fish emulsion and liquid kelp and my compost.

ACE said they can order the 2.5 gal size, but I have to order a minimum of 2, which would be $70. Yikes!
Why do they want you to order 2? There is no minimum order ship to store on their web site. I ended up buying 2 2.5gal but I ordered them separately weeks apart.

BTW if you don't have the ACE app on your phone, they'll give you $5.00 off your first order for installing it.