Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 10, 2015   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Perth Pride and Septoria .

I planted PP again this year, and was pleasantly surprised, because it has resisted Septoria better than any other tomatoes grown in my EarthBoxes. It definitely is infected, but the disease has progressed very slowly, and the plant is actually growing new healthy leaves faster than the infection has spread. It's "neighbor" in the same EB was a Patio F1, and it was decimated shortly after starting to produce. But PP has done better with the blight than even Celebrity although Celebrity will out produce PP by a very wide margin. Golden Girl and Bush Goliath were also severely affected. The only shortcomings of PP that I've seen is the short shelf life after picking and a tendency for radial cracking. Interestingly, "Iron Lady" was also severely infected, and unfortunately, it has sparse foliage to begin with (IMO).

The plants least affected overall are Magic Mountain and Jasper -- both indeterminates that have just minor infections on the lower leaves. First year for Mountain Magic, and there is a lot to like about this tomato! Our wet, wet, summer seems finally to have dried up toward more normal conditions, but we had a solid 5 weeks of wet, cloudy weather to deal with with only occasional sunny days.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote