Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 18, 2013   #1
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Default Bobcats, cats, and birds

So a bobcat walks into a bar and....

Oh we'll, nevermind. This is the first year I have had problems with birds pecking holes in my green tomatoes.

I think its because usually my cats are free to roam my property, but lately I have been keep them in because I don't want them to end up as bobcat lunch. There have been bobcats sightings near here. One of them mauled a child.

I have been letting the cats out supervised and this has deterred the birds again. I'm wanting to set up a bird net but then I have to detangle the and I don't feel like it. I would rather my cats just scare them, lol
jennifer28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2013   #2
bejustice
Tomatovillian™

Crows are a problem for us sometimes. Doves ruined a bunch of Sweet Honda Hybrid melons a couple years ago. Deer are the biggest problem. Not with tomatoes though. When my grandmother was growing up she never once saw a deer in her garden, and most old timers say the same thing. Gallagher fence works so well we only run it hot to check for ground outs. It spooks them. Groundhogs can limbo under it though.
bejustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2013   #3
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Several bobcats in our area. In eight years I have seen one and it was only a glimpse. At night they growl and scream and we can hear that. All I ever see is an occasional footprint and rabbit carcass. They do a good job of controlling rabbits. The neighborhood cats don't seem to be bothered. There are as many as ever.
Old July 19, 2013   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

how bout lions, and tigers, and bears oh,my.

ok we don't have any tigers, but we have had a cougar in the area, and a bear is in the area. i saw the bear. also have wolves, coyotes, and at least one fox. something got two of our young chickens, and our neighbor lost 4 birds just recently.
had to relocate a raccoon family after i saw momma stalking toward the chicken coop. chickens disappeared after the raccoons were relocated.
we saw a bald eagle while driving down the highway a couple days ago.

living in the wild kingdom here.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2013   #5
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

Lol Keith. We have foxes, coyotes, and bears here too. Also there is a skunk family that has taken up residence under one of our hen houses. We don't use the hen houses right now but I want to someday. I set out a have a heart trap which is aimed at the groundhogs but I get a skunk more often. Boy do I smell good, lol. I've convinced myself it smells like coffee.
Old July 20, 2013   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

you have seen a bobcat IN bridgeport?????? coyotes sure they adapt well to people but bobcats are really not a city critter.

bobcats are very wary and seldom ever seen. i know a guy that has hunted for 4 decades, spends a lot of time at quabbin in mass and he never once saw a bobcat tho he was stalked by a cougar in the early 70's in sandisfield mass!

ive seen a bobcat 4 or 5 times in my life but i live out in the sticks.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2013   #7
jennifer28
Two-faced Drama Queen

No, not in Bridgeport. I don't live in Bridgeport, I work there and build gardens and work on an urban farm there.

I live near the Long Island Sound near a nature preserve in a suburb of Bridgeport. I suspect there are some living in the nature preserve.