Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 31, 2011   #1
Sundrops
Tomatovillian™

Default Peruvian tomato?

Greetings all,

I have a friend who called the other day and asked if I wanted some tomato seedlings. "Sure, why not", I said, "I'll just add it to the other 900 I have going". After all what's a few more? I told him truthfully that I did not need any more but that if he would donate them to our Master Gardener Plant Sale then I would take them. He said sure.

He gives me 5 containers of what looks like 1500 tomato plants and 1 container of at least 400 bell peppers. Each container is labeled and are the usuals such as Beefsteak, etc. However, he has one lacy leafed tomato plant that he calls Peruvian. Now, my inclination here is that it is a plant from Peru and the true name could be anything. It is a handsome plant and he says the fruit is quite large and red. I hesitate labeling it Peruvian for the public to purchase but don't know what else to do.

Anyone here have any ideas?
Sundrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2011   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundrops View Post
Greetings all,

I have a friend who called the other day and asked if I wanted some tomato seedlings. "Sure, why not", I said, "I'll just add it to the other 900 I have going". After all what's a few more? I told him truthfully that I did not need any more but that if he would donate them to our Master Gardener Plant Sale then I would take them. He said sure.

He gives me 5 containers of what looks like 1500 tomato plants and 1 container of at least 400 bell peppers. Each container is labeled and are the usuals such as Beefsteak, etc. However, he has one lacy leafed tomato plant that he calls Peruvian. Now, my inclination here is that it is a plant from Peru and the true name could be anything. It is a handsome plant and he says the fruit is quite large and red. I hesitate labeling it Peruvian for the public to purchase but don't know what else to do.

Anyone here have any ideas?
THrough the years there have been several listings for varieties from Peru in the SSE YEarbooks but they all have somewhat generic names.

If you want to sell those plants about all you can do, as I see it, is to label them from Peru but be sure to tell anyone who buys the plants that you have no idea what they'll turn out to be as to plant habit, fruit color, size, shape, etc.

Or, with the assumption that your friend has grown them to maturity just ask him more info about the plants that he gave you.

For all I know since the highlands of Chile and Peru were the origins of the some now 14 species of tomatoes known it could be even one of the species and not all of them even form fruits b'c they are self incompatible. Also, the fruits of most of the sepcies are not edible, so if it were me I'd get a hold of that friend ASAP.
Old April 1, 2011   #3
Sundrops
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn,

Thanks for your input. I knew someone here could help with info. This is such a great site and I appreciate your time. I've been reading your posts for years and totally respect you opinion on this.

My friend has touted these tomatoes for years but I have always gotten busy during the season and forgot to get any from him. I will find out if the seed is something he saves from year to year. I am almost positive it is as he loves doing that. If that is the case I would hope the thing is stable. Who knows?

I will certainly talk to him this weekend and find out more.

Sundrops
Sundrops is offline   Reply With Quote