Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 26, 2012   #166
Honeysuckle Farm
Tomatovillian™

I take that last comment back. It looks like I now have about 30 that are infected.
Honeysuckle Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2012   #167
b54red
Tomatovillian™

April and May are usually the months that I find a fair percentage of my plants infected with TSWV. This year for some reason I have only had one plant get sick with it so far. I may lose a lot more as the season progresses but I am very thankful to have been so lucky so far.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #168
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Won't the viruses stay in the soil for years? Is there a way to get rid of them FROM the soil? Like use something to sanitize the soil? Would solarization help?
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #169
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Iva, do some due diligence. TSWV does NOT live in soil. It only lives in plants that are alive. There are several hundred species of plants that can be infected and act as virus reservoirs. When thrips feed on the infected plants and then move to tomato plants, they spread the virus as they feed.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2012   #170
mysidx
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Iva, do some due diligence. TSWV does NOT live in soil. It only lives in plants that are alive. There are several hundred species of plants that can be infected and act as virus reservoirs. When thrips feed on the infected plants and then move to tomato plants, they spread the virus as they feed.

DarJones

What about saved seed, is there a disease or virus that could remain in the seed?
Old May 29, 2012   #171
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post

DarJones
Thanks, Dar. I've done my research, but am wondering about viruses in general. They are more 'hardy' then bacteria and fungus. Like TMV, that one can stay 'alive' on plant debris for many decades. But what about in the soil?
Old May 30, 2012   #172
Iva
Tomatovillian™

It seems that one of my plants (maybe two) have TSWV. It has some dark spots in 'rows' down the tops of the leaves, young leaves are affected too. I have to take a pic.
The bad part is that I seem to have more than one virus present in the garden this year. And there's no way I can positively ID them as I've never had problems with viruses before. I'm just so sad
Old May 30, 2012   #173
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Mark down Sungold as another variety that is not tolerant of TSWV.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #174
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Found another one with TSWV this morning. It is a Fish Lake Oxheart and the plant is young so I'll be pulling it this afternoon. That only leaves me with one Fish Lake Oxheart plant. Still thankful for the minor infection this year. Wish I could say the same for the fusarium.
Old June 4, 2012   #175
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I saved seed from a TSWV infected plant some years ago - 2002, I think - in fact, Orange Heirloom (which Lee will of course recognize!). Plants that same from the saved seed are fine - I know it's kind of a one point graph, but there it is.

Also - I've probably noted this before - TSWV doesn't spread plant to plant - I've had infected plants here and there in my driveway, but neighboring plants are fine. Still, I do eventually get them out of there because it seems as though the Dwarfs, when infected, don't produce at all - so not worth keeping them around. The fact that it doesn't spread is a great relief, though.
Old June 4, 2012   #176
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have never had a problem with it spreading either. One year I had a Cowlicks and a Wes that lived for well over a month after getting the disease and they were intertwined on my trellis with other plants and none of the others got infected. They were both very large plants with loads of fruit on them and some that had already ripened when they got it. They even continued to set new fruit but I have never had a plant that was young and only had small fruit ever live very long once infected.
Old June 5, 2012   #177
kurt
Tomatovillian™

If you follow the life cycle of the thrip,it forms eggs that drop to the soil and emerge.So since thrips can transmit TSWV if it is present internally and punctures leaves and fruit you can say TSWV is in the soil(inside the thrips)I have not read anything that all thrips have TSWV just that they are one of the main vectors of the transmission of.If you throw or use infected plant material as compost I would imagine that eggs,fecal matter,from the thrips are "in the soil"waiting to emerge on new fresh plant material.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2012   #178
KenNashua
Tomatovillian™

After a rainy week I went out this morning and noticed my Supersweet 100 had something that looks similar. Is this TSWV?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/aq4p489dz...TuNrhnH/Tomato

Perhaps it's not TSWV. On closer inspection this morning it seems it had spread to the Black Cherry that's also in the same earthainer. Alternaria canker?

Last edited by KenNashua; June 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
KenNashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #179
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysidx View Post
What about saved seed, is there a disease or virus that could remain in the seed?
Looks like this one doesn't remain in the seed. Just make sure to wash them properly and you can always do a bleach wash (diluted). If I remember properly, Tom Wagner uses a detergent wash before the bleach to make it more effective.
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2012   #180
Keger
Tomatovillian™

All I know is this knocked out about 30% of my crop. I will only grow disease resistant plants going forward.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote