Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old December 6, 2011   #1
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Default Dedicating 60% of my space next year to crosses

I'm no pro by any means but I have really enjoyed working on the crosses I have made over the last 4 years. Not to mention the Green Doctors mystery cross I found a couple years ago. Out of the GDMC I have found two really nice tomatoes. One is a small redish/choclate brown cherry with a small nipple at the blossom end that is extremely sweet. The second one that caught my attention this summer out of the same GDMC is a mini green beefsteak with a very similar taste to Green Doctors.

The closest one I have to being stablized is a RL orange beefsteak thats in the 8-12 range with intense sweet flavor. Its in the F5 generation.

I crossed Brandywine Sudduth to Japanese Black Trifele in 2010 in hopes of finding a great tasting pink pear. The F1 made one heck of a hybrid that pumped out great tasting flat beefsteaks that were redish brown. I was able to grow out 5 F2's this fall and I found what I believe to be a pink pear-ish shaped tomato that I just saved seed for tonight. The taste was great for a tomato this late in the season.

And last but not least is a pink heart I found in a wild but intentional cross I made in 2009 to Olena Ukrainian with a crazy mix of pollen from several different parents/tomatoes which included a tasteless pink heart . The taste in THIS heart has been amazing since the F1. I will be growing out a few F3 next season.

Anyway I hope to share the seeds of my labor sometime in the future with you guys.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote