Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 18, 2006   #1
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Default A bit of a scare

Before I left town last Sunday evening for a fun filled week of training in Dallas, Texas I started my pepper and eggplant seeds. I was due back Friday night so I figured no problem, pepper and eggplant take a week or so to germinate.

Of course when I came through the basement on the way from the garage to the upstairs at 8:30 last night I had to check on them. Out of the 120 seed planted I had about 50 germinated. But ALL of them were a very pale yellow. Kind of put a fear in my heart.

After kissing the wife and petting the dog I rushed back down to the basement to inspect my seedlings. Except for being yellow they looked OK. I put them under the fluorescent lights about 10pm last night and left the lights on all night.

The good news is they were all very GREEN and healthy looking this morning.

I’ve never had this happen before. We have a very limited amount of natural light in the basement plus it had been overcast here while I was gone so I can only assume (we all know what that does, so no comments needed) that a lack of light prevented any photosynthesis from occurring.

I started my tomato seeds this morning and I refuse to leave the house until they are 6” tall.
Old March 18, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Jerry,

All I can say is that if this ever happens again, next time bypass the wife and the dog.

Where are your priorities?
Old March 19, 2006   #3
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn

Remember these are peppers and eggplants. If they were tomatoes I wouldn’t have even gone upstairs before tending to them.
Old March 19, 2006   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Touche Jerry, I declare a draw here.