Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 27, 2017   #16
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I haven't started/finished my list yet. I like doing that when it's blistering cold outside. Love looking at the pics & reading the descriptions in that weather.
Old November 27, 2017   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't any idea what I will ask Freda to plant for me for next year and hopefully take care of them next summer.

For sure the new ones from Fred Hempel, several there, and I think I signed up with Scott in Atlanta for some others he was offering.

And I still have lots of seeds here that Shawn sent me ,ones I requested, to distribute to those commercial places as I do every year. Except I was too late getting to some of them so still have those seeds here.

Aha,just remembered a couple of repeats from this past summer that died with foliage diseases since Freda didn't spray with Daconil as I asked her to do. And lots of cherry sized ones for snacking, that's for sure.

But when Rob finally brought my seedlings to me here at home he brought too many so I had to find forever homes for them,did that, and it was one of my USPS folks who took two trays of them and he brought quite a few larger ones for me as well.

Carolyn
Old November 27, 2017   #18
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Kath, I believe that I have read that Marlowe Charleston is listed as a pink, but my original packet says "1-3 pounds, smokey purplish color. Ugly-very sweet". The seeds are from Blue Ribbon Tomatoes, are getting old, and not readily available, which is why I am growing them out next year. We'll see what I get.

My, you have really really pared your grow list down. Good for you. I still struggle to do so.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #19
joseph
Tomatovillian™

My market varieties are, about a dozen plants each of:

Big Hill, 12 oz indeterminate yellow/red
Jagodka, red saladette, my earliest and most productive market tomato
Brad, red saladette, tied with Jagodka as earliest.
Wild Zebra, a striped brown tomato. My favorite tasting.
Chariot, mixed cherry, saladette, and pear tomatoes

Then I gotta grow several hundred plants for my breeding projects.
S habrochaites
S peruvianum
S galapagense
S cheesmanae
S pimpinelifolium
S corneliomulleri
S pennellii
And interspecies crosses between domestic and wild tomatoes.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #20
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

I WISH I had room to grow out 36 plants.. but alas, I live in suburban Phoenix with a limited amount of backyard space. Even including pots and buckets, I've only really got room for 12 plants, and that's stretching it. I can expand that number by a couple if I add in some micro-dwarfs, but even that only allows me a couple extras.

So far, for Spring 2018, I've got:

- A few plants each for select Dwarf Project breeding lines.
- A bunch of seeds to start from DFollett's breeding lines.. actual number of plants will depend on how many meet the target criteria of each.

- A large pink 'pear-shaped' indeterminate tomato that I brought back from Australia the last time I was there.. I have given it the working name "Zelinda's Pear"... since I don't know exactly what variety it actually is, and the woman who was growing it was named Zelinda. It _may_ be New Zealand Pink Pear.. Either way, it was delicious. My goal this spring is to hopefully cross it with a dwarf bicolor tomato for a new Dwarf Project breeding line... If I do, I'll use one of the three below:
- Dwarf Wherokowhai F6
- Dwarf Caitydid
- Dwarf Uluru Ochre (If I can get seeds for it.. maybe from a generous person on here.. since I don't currently have seeds for this one)

Some others that I'd like to grow... and will have to narrow down to fit them in:

- JD's Special C-Tex
- Big Orange Volunteer - Basically, an open-pollinated version of Sun Gold
- Girl Girl's Weird Thing
- Dwarf Metallica
- Dark Orange Muscat
- Elser Farm's Brown Derby
- Lucid Gem
- Peardrop
- Zolotoe Serdtse
- Jersey Sunrise
- Coastal Pride Orange
- Campari F2
- Lucky Cross
- Jet Star
- Bolseno

.... if only I had more garden space.. so many I want to grow, and just not enough room.
Old November 27, 2017   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting, Nancy. It was pink when I grew it but I don't remember my source; I'm sure it wasn't Blue Ribbon, though.

Yes, my tomato list is now shorter than I ever thought it would be, but I'm happy about it!

Best wishes for your continuing tomato experiments,

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #22
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Here in the Houston Area you start your seeds for the season beteen Christmas and New Years, so I need to decide which 36 plants I am going to start. I have seeds for at least 300 varieties so there is a lot of sorting to do. So here are the ones I know I will grow:
1) Big Beef
2) Girl Girl's Weird Thing
3) Atkinson
4) Fourth of July
5) Sungold
6) Maya & Sions Airdrie Classic
7) Maglia Rosa
8) Blush
9) Brandy Boy
10) Eva Purple Ball
11) Summertime Gold
12) Uluru Ochre
I've grown all these before and really like them.
Now i have to pick 9 new ones and pick 15 others that I havn't grown in a while.

Mike In Cypress
I'll suggest one for you, Bulgarian Triumph. It took me a decade to find a variety that dethrones EPB as my favorite small/medium slicer.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28, 2017   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I'll suggest one for you, Bulgarian Triumph. It took me a decade to find a variety that dethrones EPB as my favorite small/medium slicer.
Finally Gary, we both agree on the excellence of Bulgarian Triumph.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Bulgarian_Triumph

Notice that I got my seeds from Dennis Sherwood and maybe 200 other varieties.

Dennis was doing a project to determine the internal acidity of many different varieties. When he finished his project he asked if I would like the left over seeds he hadn't planted, no trades wanted.

Did I turn him down?

No way .

Carolyn
Old November 28, 2017   #24
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I grew Bulgarian Triumph this year and was impressed with both the productivity and taste. EPB was on my "maybe" grow list for next year because I remembered that it was a good one. Now Gary has me thinking that I should just grow BT again instead .

I'm also thinking that perhaps I should grow Margaret Curtain instead of Indian Stripe next year. I preferred the taste of IS to MC slight, but productivity on MG was better.

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; November 28, 2017 at 05:01 PM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #25
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I just realized that I'm going to have to start seriously thinking about seeds very very soon, as I try to sow after Xmas. I am paring down every year due to the tiring upkeep of the soil in my garden. I promised myself I will NOT plant in 3 of my 7 beds, to rest them.
Every year I plan around colors, so I try to plant at least 2 varieties of pink, purple, black, orange, green and red and 2 varieties of cherries. So far I will sow:

Momotaro
Odoriko
KBX
Margaret Curtain
Sungold
Amakko
Blush
Rusty's Oxheart
Boxcar Willie

The KBX seeds last season proved to be not true, so I will have to ask later for seeds for that and also Boxcar W. as mine are very old. Nothing in my list this year is new to me, so they may be boring but tried and true. However by next month I will probably find a must-have again. Marsha the Enabler usually does that.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #26
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

PeeBee, don't know when you need them, and I can't promise anything, because I didn't save any this year, but I will check how many Boxcar Willie seeds I have. Sometimes I order from sellers that only send a small amount of seeds (~10-20 seeds) and sometimes from people who send larger amts. If I have a good number, I would be happy to share a few. Hopefully mine are only a couple of years old.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #27
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

OK, I found them and I can send you a few if you would like. I don't know how many you need. They are from Tomato Grower's Supply. There is no date on them, but I have gotten good germination for the last 2 years.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #28
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I have most of my list put together, but still holding spots open until I get my swap package.

For pastes I'm sticking with some of the larger plums and hearts that did well for me last year, but also going back and trying some I had crossed off as being too prone to disease. Same with the eating varieties. Since I'm grafting now, I want to go back and revisit some of these to see how they do.

The one new variety to make the list so far is Mat-Su Express.

I also have seeds from new sources for two that previously "bombed" - Moskovich (which I could never get to germinate) and Gregori's Altai (which produced perfectly shaped and perfectly awful tasting light pink baseballs last year). These will get another chance with the new seed.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #29
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am just starting to think about the list. These are must grow for us though:

1) Japanese Pink Cherry
2) Campari F2 or F3
3) Sungold F1
4) Mammaw's Treat
5) Pappy's Dream
Some FFF,N varieties to try.
6) Amelia
7) Dixie Red
8) Mountain Merit
9) Skyway

There will be more. Maybe one will replace Sungold on the list?
Gargamel instead of Sungold. Gargamel is the most interesting tomato I've ever grown.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2017   #30
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I planted Moskovich last season, because I was pulling out every early variety I had seeds for. I was not disappointed. Strong grower, great tomato taste-and one of the firsts.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote