Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 22, 2017   #556
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have looked at fence codes till I was blue in the face for my town and they dont have anything stating what side goes where.
If it is directly on your property line with a neighbor then half of it is theirs whether you like it or not.

If you put it inside your property line this gives you the ability to go to the other side and do as you please without trespassing.
Then many times the neighbor thinks everything up to the fence is theirs when it isn't.
There are also many ways to put up a fence that both sides look the same.

Keeping in shape?
If it is on the property line and you paid for all of it how do you get to the other side to maintain the thing?
If the neighbor wont do it and they dont want you on the property it is going to rot in no time.
If you put it up so you can get to the other side and work you have basically given them your property.

What I have seen here in subdivisions is the builders put up the wood fence and head for the hills.
In just a few years they end up looking like crap on the public side and start to fall down.
Then the neighbors are squabbling over who pays for what if it is on a property line.
Then again if you or them dont take care of it the thing will rot.

The number one reason fences look bad is they aren't installed properly and they aren't maintained.
Or a storm blows them down.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2017   #557
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just thought about something.
The apartments I am working at sometimes have a tall wood fence up around the area.
The so called pretty side was facing in towards the apartments not out.
The so called ugly side faces out towards peoples property.
The road fence is a fancy steel one.
Old November 22, 2017   #558
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I am sure the regulations vary depending on where you live. Around here no one that I have heard of places it on a property line and it most common to put it a foot or two into your property. It may or may not be regulation, but I think it is, that the good side goes out towards your neighbor. I believe you would have to get all your neighbors permission first to put it ON the property line, and it might not even be approved then. Most people do mow up to the fence on their side and I know what you are talking about, but have never heard of someone giving away their property because of it around here. I guess if one of your neighbors wants 12-18 inches of your property enough to pay the attorney's fees and fight you for it, they MIGHT win, but I doubt it. Especially if you were just following the local codes and regulations in putting up the fence. But Texas is a whole different country than Connecticut, Worth. ANYONE putting up a fence should know the local codes. I think you might even need a permit around here before you can put one up, but I would have to check that.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #559
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

If that "abandoned" 12-18 inches of your land was enough to get your neighbor a minimum side-yard set back to build an addition or other structure, then hiring an attorney to fight your claim to it would be well worth it to some people.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #560
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

So leave enough room and run the lawnmower once along the back of the fence when you mow the lawn. But I still don't think the lawsuit would work if you left that space because local ordinances required you to. I am not saying it is impossible, just unlikely, and even though would be expensive and not highly likely to work with OUR local ordinances and permits required to put up a fence in the first place. Anything is possible, but most judges try to be fair, and would not likely take your property because you followed the local codes and permitted the fence the way you were supposed to. But constantly fighting with your neighbors over a fence on property line doesn't sound any better to me.
Old November 23, 2017   #561
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My neighbor has a bunch of stuff stacked on my side in the back.
And we share a place to get up and down the hill on the mowers.
Never had to deal with mean neighbors here and dread the day I do.

Worth
Old November 23, 2017   #562
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Me either, Worth. But if I put up a fence, and I would like to some day, it will be all on my property, on my dime and I will do it the way I darned well want to.
Old November 24, 2017   #563
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I went to the building dept for a fence permit. The first question she asked was, "Are you making any changes to the fence?" Second question was two fold, "Is it going on your property line and do you have your most recent survey with you showing the fence on property line?"

No changes except a rot board at the bottom. And yes on property line, which is where it was before. So, regulation, because she said so before she saw the survey or our plans.

We will be putting the fence boards on the church side, the other two sides will be on our side, like it was originally.

Edit to add

Forgot we are adding that third center horizontal board and told her about that. I also forgot to tell her about the gates since she was so focused on the fence. Hmm, well need to call her and let her know the big 12 ft gate has to be rebuilt since Harvey took it. Today hubby installed all the 4x4 posts on the one side the owner is paying half on. His fence installers are doing a terrible job. Sheesh if he would have just talked to us first.

The 4x4 they are supposed to tie in to our fence is not level because he cut it off at the top, which makes the fence lower toward our fence area. It will not be level and hubby has concerns he won't be able to make ours level because of it. To make things worse he nailed a board to the side of the house for tie in also. Dummy, termites will make their way into the house that way. This house was like that when we bought it. Insurance told hubby to remove that board from the house or they wouldn't insure us.

I swear they look like tweakers to me. That's what you get when your only focus is to pay as little as possible for the job. He did heed my advice to put a third horizontal board on the fences. That is good.

The 4x4 installed by the church for tie in at the back fence is also too low. Sheesh, I wish these people could just do the job right the first time. With a little trial and error we will have a completed fence.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; November 24, 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2017   #564
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hubby replaced the 4x4 put in by the church so he could build our fence level. The neighbor that's paying half for our side has a fence that looks awful already. The rot boards have been installed two inches above the ground which means the fence will be higher than the regulated 6'6", our fence will not line up wth their connecting sections.

On another note, the bad neighbor has someone building their back fence and they are doing a fantastic job. Shouldn't have any problem lining up on that side. They are a nice group of people and said he is also having them install a 10 foot gate to the other side of his house. They are doing other work to the house as well. My husband was out there installing the 4x4 posts between our houses and the bad neighbor asked him if the fence was strong and how much will it cost him. Hubby promised a strong fence but not against hurricanes, lol. He also let him know he will have to write up the bill when he finishes because only then will he know actual materials cost.

So, looks like the bad neighbor might have some changes coming for us. Since he has a gate to drive a car through perhaps our driveway won't be blocked anymore when he has parties. That would go a long way to getting on my better side for sure.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 28, 2017   #565
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My neighbor ladies son owns the house she lives in.
He is always looking for the lowest price possible to do anything.
Then they complain about the work that was done.
One of the guys was a raving lunatic.
Another one committed cold blooded murder after he worked on her place.
Worth
Old December 3, 2017   #566
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow Worth, that's a scary thought.

Update on the fence building. Hubby has all upper horizontal 2x4 boards installed on all three sides, and all 4x4 posts trimmed down. He has all horizontal middle and lower boards installed on the paying neighbors side, and started installation of the rot boards. He is about 2/3 complete on that and thinks he might have that side completed tomorrow with the pickets on. We'll see how that works out as I don't think it will happen. Reason being is he has to cut pickets down to take care of the 7" slope in our yard.

We are still waiting for the church to finish installing the rest of the 4x4 posts on the back fence line. He has all horizontal boards installed between the posts that have been installed so I think he will begin completion of the fence on the other neighbors side before he can work to complete the back fence line.

Oh, and the neighbors completed fence is 3 inches above regulation height. Hmm, wonder what the city will say about that when they inspect our fence. Considering neighbor didn't get a permit or have their contractor register with the city. Oh and one more thing. They used the cheapest screws they could find to do the job. Those screws will be rusted within just a few months with the salt air, and continuous humidity.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; December 3, 2017 at 02:22 AM.
Old December 26, 2017   #567
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Neighbors

Some are ok but many are not. If you have the opportunity before moving to a new place I will interview others in the neighborhood and even just sit or walk and watch the behavior on a weekend. If you do not like what you see don't move in.
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2017   #568
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I hope everyone nad a great christmas. Hubby is finished with both sides of the fence and it looks great. This leaves the double and single gate area he is working on and the back fence between us and the church. Between the rain and snow it has been a slow process.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old January 31, 2018   #569
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Just came in to update on the fence. Due to continued weekend rain it has been difficult for hubby to finish the fence yet. He has about 1/3 of the back fence complete and just needs to finish cutting the planks and installing them to finish it out. The gate sides are done and he needs to build the new 12' gate as well as rebuild the 32" pass thru gate.

On another note we sold the RV last night as is from the hurricane damage. We took a huge loss but at least it's out of the yard now. We are already talking home improvement loan to build a garage in back and install new windows and doors on the house. We also need to replace flooring and hubby will be building the new cabinets. So, who knows maybe by this time next year we will be having some improvements made to the house.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old February 9, 2018   #570
whoose
Tomatovillian™

Default Time to Think

Time to think and plan for the fence building season any suggestions?
whoose is offline   Reply With Quote