Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 16, 2017   #1
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Default college world series

The annual tornado warnings and severe thunderstorms swept through eastern Nebraska, southwestern Iowa and northwest Missouri tonight on the eve of the Greatest Show on Dirt. Every year the natural fireworks show outdoes the wimpy fireworks around the baseball diamond.

Many thousands without power, trees down all over, power lines on the ground just in time for the nationwide influx of baseball fans. By tomorrow it will be all over with and the games can begin.

You don't like midwest weather, just wait for a day for a complete change. First time ever going to a movie, Cars3 with our granddaughter, that we had to go to the theater's basement for 40 minutes until the tornado warning was over. What a night! We will assess the damage in the morning.
Old June 17, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

So how was Cars 3? I've heard mixed reviews.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #3
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Paul, we drove up to Bellevue and got here 6:30p last night. We had just finished having supper and we were back at the hotel when the sirens went off. Looks like the rest of the weekend should be nice.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2017   #4
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Cars3 was pretty good, but we didn't watch the last half hour because of the basement trip. It was late when it got restarted and we decided to head for home. We will purchase the video when it comes out and watch it at home.

No damage here. Sun is shining and clear skies for the rest of the week.
Old June 18, 2017   #5
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

we left a fam. reunion in North Bend just ahead of the storm. Saw a trampoline fly across the rd in front of us about 100 ft! Lots of trees down in West Lincoln (Airpark) but we lucked out. Greenhouse plastic is surprisingly tough; 2 bouts of golf ball sized hail this week, no damage.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
The annual tornado warnings and severe thunderstorms swept through eastern Nebraska, southwestern Iowa and northwest Missouri tonight on the eve of the Greatest Show on Dirt. Every year the natural fireworks show outdoes the wimpy fireworks around the baseball diamond.

Many thousands without power, trees down all over, power lines on the ground just in time for the nationwide influx of baseball fans. By tomorrow it will be all over with and the games can begin.

You don't like midwest weather, just wait for a day for a complete change. First time ever going to a movie, Cars3 with our granddaughter, that we had to go to the theater's basement for 40 minutes until the tornado warning was over. What a night! We will assess the damage in the morning.
The town of Papillion was having its local hoopla too. It looks like all the tents were twisted and destroyed.

What makes this 100mph straight line wind event different than in years past was the duration of the wind. I think it was a good 10 minutes, and maybe longer with the sustained winds. It's amazing that there wasn't any damage to my tomato plants, or any cages knocked over. I noticed a few trees down had rot at the soil line, so no surprise there. The only plants that bent over in my yard, and that of my neighbor, were hydrangeas. Note to self - do not buy anymore, these do not like wind.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2017   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

The news last night said two tornadoes, one a class 1 and the other a class 2 (120 mph winds and 140 mph winds) were on the ground south of Omaha around SAC Air Force base and went east for nine miles. We were on I-29 going to the Omaha Airport and saw the damage at the I-29/US 34 intersection. A campground/mobil home park with about 50 trailers and campers was almost totally destroyed along with several grain bins and sheds. Debris all over the highway and in the ditches. Over 70,000 without power. We were very lucky.
Old June 19, 2017   #8
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
The news last night said two tornadoes, one a class 1 and the other a class 2 (120 mph winds and 140 mph winds) were on the ground south of Omaha around SAC Air Force base and went east for nine miles. We were on I-29 going to the Omaha Airport and saw the damage at the I-29/US 34 intersection. A campground/mobil home park with about 50 trailers and campers was almost totally destroyed along with several grain bins and sheds. Debris all over the highway and in the ditches. Over 70,000 without power. We were very lucky.
Paul, my wife and I drove through that area on 29 yesterday on our way home and the debris made it easy to tell where the tornado path was. Limbs, twisted sheet metal etc.
It looked like both tornadoes were tracking about a mile apart with 2 distinct debris fields at mile markers 34 and 35. We were at the Comfort Inn in Bellevue behind Don and Millie's at Cornhusker and 75 as the storm passed thru and they had everyone in the first floor hallway. Thankfully I didn't hear of any injuries or loss of life.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote