Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 13, 2017   #1
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Default What about Giant Belgium?

I haven't heard anyone mention this name in a long time around here.
I tried it a few good years ago, and the plants were kinda weak and really didn't want to set any flowers. In the end got two decent sized tomatoes.
I was afraid of that description of sweetest tomato, etc, and I will say that they tasted kinda without acidity but otherwise not that sweet. What was surprising was the flavor, absolutely fantastic, one of the best I've had, and strong taste too.
Never grew it again, the plant just wasn't good for my late blight infested garden at the time.
I might try to see if those seeds still germinate, maybe I will try again next year.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I grew it for a couple of years and enjoyed it, but I was also growing Dester and Seek No Further Love Apple as well.

All were very good, but SNFLA was the healthiest plant with the most production compared to the other two.

I save just one spot these days for a pink beefsteak variety, and this year it went to SNFLA. If grafting turns thing around in terms of production, I'll probably cycle the other two through in future years.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I too worried about the description of Giant Belgium as being so sweet; but I didn't find that to be the case. To me a sweet tomato is one like Virginia Sweet or even sweeter like Pineapple and Giant Belgium is nothing like them. As far as flavor it was my very best tasting one year and has been in the top 5 or 10 for taste every year. As far as production it is not always one of the better producers but about every other year it does really well. Another thing it doesn't have as many of those misshapen fruits as some of the other tasty big beefsteaks. This year it is one of my best producers of very large beautiful fruits.

As long as I can manage to hobble out in the garden and plant tomatoes Giant Belgium will be one that has at least a couple of spots.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote