Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 10, 2017   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a currant size tomato that is black?

who has seed for a black currant sized tomato if there is one?
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #2
imp
Tomatovillian™

Karen, I don't think there is a black current tomato, but I could be wrong.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If there is one it better taste like licorice.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
who has seed for a black currant sized tomato if there is one?
KO
As long as you say currant sized, I can't prove it's a true currant,yes I do think I have one

I do have seeds that Andrey in Belarus sent me, and seed production was done.

It's called Choronaya Lakoma as Andrey spelled it, but I've also seen it spelled Chyornaya L

Andrey described it as following and his description of it turned out to be true.

ind,blackish 100 to 120 grams, that is small and close to being currant size, but technically I can't say it is a true currant, aromatic, juicy, great taste.

Carolyn
Old June 10, 2017   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

Ah! How nice is that?!! there is one! I shall have to try it when you release it.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Ah! How nice is that?!! there is one! I shall have to try it when you release it.
And there's the rub.

I asked the person who did the seed production to send me some seeds for it along with others he did seed production for. I don't know how many seeds he sent me of all of those since they were almost all new ones that I wanted to send to the vendors where i usually send seeds for trial, but I'm sure he must have more in his stash, as he always does, and that for listing in the 2017 public seed offer here at Tville,

And there's another rub since I have no idea when that offer will go up.I still have all seeds produced here at home for ones produced in 2015, and the seed producers sent the newest ones produced in 2016 directly to X.

I will be putting up a seed offer preview,NOT the seed offer itself, in the Off topic Forum soon and that might help.

And I'm so behind in packing up seeds for the seed producers for this summer it's terrible. I've let them down badly,but who knew what would happen when I was hit with that lousy virus,not just me,but at the local school and the community as well. But when you are as old as I am and also a diabetic the immune system goes way down,

For Karen and Imp only,if you need a few seeds for this summer,e-mail me, you both have that em addy,give me your address and I'll try to get a few seeds sent to each of you.

And then you can both see how"pimpy" sized they are.

Carolyn, who will be so very happy when another person will be taking over for the 2018 offer and doing the hardest part but I'll still be the one to source seeds,put up the germination and Fall performance threads . Then I can sit back and color in my adult coloring books, read all the many hundreds of books I have here as well as have time to read a lot of the many magazines I sub to as well,from the Smithsonian,to lots of history and archaeology ones, and many current news ones as well. After over 30 years of doing seed offers here and there, well, I loved doing it,but enough is enough.
Old June 10, 2017   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Do you know if are there any photographs of it Carolyn? perhaps I should ask Andrey?
KarenO
Old June 10, 2017   #8
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

When I looked right after you started this thread, I thought I found one, but it turned out to be a current. It looks kind of like a tomato. Sorry, I couldn't help, but I did get to learn about currents.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Do you know if are there any photographs of it Carolyn? perhaps I should ask Andrey?
KarenO
I doubt it Karen,I've seen him post pictures of lots over the years, but not his tomatoes, maybe yes,maybe no but I'll ask him for you,since obviously he did grow it out to be able to write what he did on the pack of seeds he sent me,and the reason I'll ask him is b/c I have to contact him anyway about some other issues such as seeds I owe him, etc.

I'll ask him to answer in this thread and give him the link to this thread so all can see his answer.

Carolyn, and it might interest you to know that Andrey first contacted SSE about sending some of his varieties,no go there so he found Lisa at Amishland and not so good there either although he listed quite a few but found that Lisa invented many varieties.I think I saw him there, I can't remember right now ,and Tville had just opened and I asked him to join here,he joined on Feb 3rd,2006, I just checked,less than a month after Tville started.
Old June 10, 2017   #10
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
When I looked right after you started this thread, I thought I found one, but it turned out to be a current. It looks kind of like a tomato. Sorry, I couldn't help, but I did get to learn about currents.
Yes Robert there sure are black currents. There were rows and rows of black,white and red currents that the Skakers had planted
at the farm where I was raised. I picked them,mom made jellies and jams with them as I recall.Then they were all removed so that I could have room for the orchard I started,there already were 3 orchards the Shakers had started back in the late 1800's.

Aha,I forgot one step. At first after they were removed,we then had chickens and that is where they went first from inside where their nests were, no chickens to orchard and strawberries, 25 plants each of 4 varieties that I put in.

Carolyn
Old June 12, 2017   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn kindly contacted me to answer this thread)

Yes, Chyornaya Lakomka was from me. But I wouldn't call it black currant type. It is too large fruited for current type))) 80-130 g.

I've made my first international seed trades around 2002 via vegetable gardening forums in the web. And it was Carolyn who introduced me to Tomatoville early in 2006) Thank you very much!))

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; June 12, 2017 at 03:55 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Looks very nice. Thank you Andrey.
So overall, there are red, yellow and pink (Ted's pink currant being the only pink I am aware of ) but no black by the sounds if it?
Thank you all for your input.
KarenO
Old June 12, 2017   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

There is also a White Currant tomato from Baker Creek.

http://www.rareseeds.com/white-currant-tomato/

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #14
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Looks very nice. Thank you Andrey.
So overall, there are red, yellow and pink (Ted's pink currant being the only pink I am aware of ) but no black by the sounds if it?
Thank you all for your input.
KarenO
I can see the wheels turning......
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #15
MissS
Tomatovillian™

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...3&action=click