Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old May 26, 2015   #331
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

OSU Blue got into the wild when a student distributed some seed online. The resulting plants had several problems including excess foliage, uneven size, uneven color, and segregating genes that induce anthocyanin formation.

P20 is a selection from OSU Blue that emphasized plant traits a bit more. It was still segregating with some plants producing distinctly darker fruit.

Indigo Rose is a selection from P20 that stabilizes the genes for anthocyanin and fixes the fruit size in the 2 to 4 ounce range.

Jim Myers is still working with crosses to improve flavor and culinary traits. He has several lines going including a yellow with anthocyanin and several oval fruited lines. One of the oval lines that I tasted in 2012 was a very good flavored tomato though it still had a bit of an off whang from the wild species genetics.

I have a line growing from a single plant selection about 5 years ago. It has sungold sweetness combined with high anthocyanin fruit and moderately good fruit flavor. I have 3 plants in the garden that will hopefully be stable for the traits. This line is potato leaf.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2015   #332
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
OSU Blue got into the wild when a student distributed some seed online. The resulting plants had several problems including excess foliage, uneven size, uneven color, and segregating genes that induce anthocyanin formation.

P20 is a selection from OSU Blue that emphasized plant traits a bit more. It was still segregating with some plants producing distinctly darker fruit.

Indigo Rose is a selection from P20 that stabilizes the genes for anthocyanin and fixes the fruit size in the 2 to 4 ounce range.

Jim Myers is still working with crosses to improve flavor and culinary traits. He has several lines going including a yellow with anthocyanin and several oval fruited lines. One of the oval lines that I tasted in 2012 was a very good flavored tomato though it still had a bit of an off whang from the wild species genetics.

I have a line growing from a single plant selection about 5 years ago. It has sungold sweetness combined with high anthocyanin fruit and moderately good fruit flavor. I have 3 plants in the garden that will hopefully be stable for the traits. This line is potato leaf.
She wasn't a student Fusion, she was a technician in Dr. Myers Lab and I was present at DG when she made that offer.

I knew at the time that anyone working with OSU had to sign a release paper from Myers that seeds would be used ONLY for breeding purposes, which you knew as well.

When I asked her about that all she said was that no one had told her she could NOT distribute seeds and kept offering them.

And that's how the original OSU seeds got so widely distributed.

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2015   #333
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post

So when will we get a chance to grow this awesome sounding variety of yours?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #334
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

This is an interesting and novel pattern of anthocyanin accumulation in a gs/gs background. Often times high anthocyanin expression masks the stripes, but here is highlights them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA 32-3.jpg (449.5 KB, 95 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #335
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I've seen this too, I really like the look. I believe it is heritable, but it appears that it can be masked if fruits get too much direct sun; at least in the lines I'm working with.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #336
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Wow Mark that tomato looks awesome. What F generation is that tomato at? Or is it already OP?
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #337
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Took me a bit to find last year's picture I was thinking of. I have a couple of sibling lines of this going this year, but this particular one had disease issues last year so it didn't make the cut for 2016.

Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2016   #338
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Seed from this fruit will be F6.
Old August 12, 2016   #339
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutique Tomatoes View Post
I've seen this too, I really like the look. I believe it is heritable, but it appears that it can be masked if fruits get too much direct sun; at least in the lines I'm working with.
I agree Mark. This particular fruit on the plant was in the upper canopy, but not exposed to full direct sun. I also look for anthocyanin expression in the canopy - although all Aft/Aft types appear to have more expression in high light, some have almost nothing in the canopy. Just another example of how various "modifier genes" affect anthocyanin expression in tomato fruit.
Old September 1, 2016   #340
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Frogsleap -

You are really onto something with these wild color combinations. I have a bit of antho on some of my striped ones, but it is still rather variable. I like the interior of this one, though.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote