Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old March 6, 2008   #1
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Watermelons - how it's done over here.

Below are a couple of photos of how they grow watermelons where I live. I drive past these fields every day during my daily commute to work and the fields extend for miles in several directions.

BVGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Would be interesting to see soil test results on that. See how much sand and compost is in there. Of course the big question is what chemicals they are spraying. I don't ask for the usual organic reasons, just curious what it takes to keep watermelons from succumbing to every problem under the sun (especially anthracnose -- fruit rot) in central Texas.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #3
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

I had the same thought Feldon. They rotate crops as well. Next year they will come back with a different crop. I've seen corn and cotton grown in those same fields.

Jay
Old March 6, 2008   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I want SWEET watermelons. Seems a rarity in my experience. Always watered down or even a funky taste. This is the only reason I have been tempted to grow these monstrosities in my suburban back yard.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old March 6, 2008   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
I want SWEET watermelons. Seems a rarity in my experience. Always watered down or even a funky taste. This is the only reason I have been tempted to grow these monstrosities in my suburban back yard.
Morgan if you want Sweet Melons look for Pecos or Midkiff Texas melons at the store.

Yet again I will try to grow melons here, I got one melon last year and it was so sweet it would make you sick.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #6
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Here is a photo of my watermelon patch last year:

Here are a couple of photos of fruit:

If you think the above look pretty good, let me tell you about the results. Out of about 30 large fruit, guess how many I was able to eat.....ONE. Thats right, only one. Out of all those fruit only one ripened. The rest where solid white on the inside with a hint of pink. All of the typical signs of a fully ripened fruit were experianced but alas, only one fruit to be had.

Jay
Old March 6, 2008   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What were your typical signs?

Worth
Old March 6, 2008   #8
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Jay, I think you need pretty sandy soil to grow watermelon. Maybe it just needs to be loose soil and the sand is what makes it that way here.
Pardeeville,WI does host the US national Watermelon seed spitting championships each year. If I remember right the current distance is a little over 61 feet. (I can't participate as my mother spent years reminding me not to spit so I'm not very good at it) I have met people from all 50 states there, Europe and even Austraila come to compete. It can be funny.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #9
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

Worth, all of them had a yellow colored bottom, a totally dried up tendril and that dull sound when thumping it. The year before last, I could not grow one bigger than the size of a cantelope.

jungseed, I've got the sandy soil....it's like beach sand over here but I'm definately missing something they have in Wisconsin and down the road. I'll get it right one of these days, right?

Jay
Old March 6, 2008   #10
jungseed
Tomatovillian™

Ok, so I went to a couple of experts here - they both said the not ripening is weather related. Can't image the weather is that different from your house to the fields down the road. Maybe I should qualify that to say they both said that problem is usually weather related.
Watermelon do like loose soil, but it needs alot of organic material.
Composted cow manure is the answer - (of course in WI what isn't that the answer to) If your watermelon are stressed by heat and trying to get nurtients, they will give up and turn their energy to seed setting, so you get non-ripened watermelon that have decided their life cycle is complete. Giving you the ripe look and sound. (that would be me parapharsing what they said)
Your watermelons sure look good. I bet this year they will be super sweet.
jungseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2008   #11
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

jungseed,

We did have abnormal weather last year.....record amounts of rain and one of the coolest July's I've ever experianced due to the daily overcast skies.

Organic matter is definately lacking in most of my garden. I add it in and it's almost like the sandy soil totally consumes it. But I am making headway and the beds are finally beginning to retain the benefits of adding all of that manure and compost.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to get with those folks over there.

Regards,
Jay
Old March 7, 2008   #12
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

Last years drought produced for me the sweetest melons Ive ever grown. I harvested 330 watermelons for eating and market sales. I love those Sugar babies, Charleston Grays and Crimson Sweets. The way i check for ripeness is to watch the curl on the vine just above the fruit, it will turn brown when ripe. Pretty neat thing last year the small young fruit left after frost i was going to mow over them and lo and behold they were 1/10 size ripe melons.
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2008   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZARDFARM View Post
Last years drought produced for me the sweetest melons Ive ever grown. I harvested 330 watermelons for eating and market sales. I love those Sugar babies, Charleston Grays and Crimson Sweets. The way i check for ripeness is to watch the curl on the vine just above the fruit, it will turn brown when ripe. Pretty neat thing last year the small young fruit left after frost i was going to mow over them and lo and behold they were 1/10 size ripe melons.
I constantly read where a melon needs to have lot's of water.
I don't buy this, the melons that come from these constantly flooded fields always seem to be tasteless.
Sure they need water but they don't need to sit in it.

The melons I have grown have always been very sweet and they were always in well drained sandy soil, not black wet muck

They may not be the biggest but they tasted good.

Worth
Old March 7, 2008   #14
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I think they need plenty of water in the first few weeks, but I am growing to believe that the last 2 weeks before harvest should be bone dry, something I can only accomplish with clear plastic covers. The lengths I go to for a sweet watermelon!

Old March 7, 2008   #15
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

My melon patch was very dry last year from the time the plants started blooming (for my area) the driest summer since the late 1800's. I saw little difference in numbers from previous years only they were much sweeter. My canaloupes although didnt produce as well.
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote