Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old July 8, 2009   #16
akeimou

thanks much, dice, for all the info and for taking the time to summarize (much is way over my head).

i've ordered a few ImmunoStrips from Agdia. i wish there was one that would test for just the presence or not of a virus or viroid, and not of a specific one like CMV or CCM.

that silver reflective mulch is interesting. black plastic mulch, red plastic mulch, hay, all these mulches, i wonder how they compare. i've never used any.

there is no aphid, whitefly, nasty bug in the greenhouse that i can see. perhaps i and my pruner are the vectors here.

so, for next year:

- self-watering system with sterile peat-based soil, some fertilizer rather than compost, some kind of mulch

- remove things that are not easy to clean such as the metal wall shelving, the irrigation system, tomato cages (just used strings before this year). keep it simple

- remove plants, wash and fumigate the greenhouse, get new pruners, set up a disinfectant station. disinfect, sanitize, keep clean!

- try that aspirin spray

- keep fingers crossed

--meg

updated: here's another diagnostic tool, http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...ys/TomKey.html, didn't notice if it was already in the Problem Solver

Last edited by akeimou; July 8, 2009 at 12:52 PM.
Old July 8, 2009   #17
dice
Tomatovillian™

That sounds about right. Once they get infected with something,
greenhouses require some real work to disinfect.

Bleach and hydrogen peroxide are your friends.