Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 13, 2018   #121
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

You've really got a "1st world problem" with all your tomatoes! Great looking stuff!
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #122
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

That Cuostralee is producing like gangbusters!
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2018   #123
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh, wow! Those birds are living in paradise!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2018   #124
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Folks.

Salsacharley, you are so right, I was beginning to think that. We're spoiled, sometimes a bit decadent. Maybe I should layoff the pictures for a bit.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2018   #125
bower
Tomatovillian™

taboule, how can you say that??? The abundance of your gardens is a tribute to mother nature! Please don't stop sharing such a treat for the eyes.
Old August 18, 2018   #126
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Of course you're right bower, thanks for pulling me back in.

The below was from the last batch of sauce I made.
batch-3.jpg
The small cherry-sized yellow specimens in the bottom left tray were a total surprise. I have no idea what they are, as I wasn't too careful at the old garden to properly mark everything.Or I may have pulled the stick while vigorously weeding. With one exception (4th of july) all my seeds were saved from previous years. The only yellow I've ever had is Sweet Ozark Orange, but the size of the fruit is so different. It tastes really good BTW, sweet -but not as sweet as SOO. Next time I'm up at the old garden I'll dig to see if I can find a stick marker.

Talking about SOO, I picked these here this morning, once again before thundershowers. Some are split, I made sure the cracks are on the far side away from the camera.

sample-2.jpg

The biggest SOO are in the 1 kilo class. Alongside are brandywines (both red and pink) SOTW, and my first few black krim (very late this year.)
Old August 18, 2018   #127
bower
Tomatovillian™

Taboule, do you make a separate sauce with the yellow ones?

Homemade tomato sauce... truly the thing that money can't buy. I bet it's very sweet!
Old August 18, 2018   #128
taboule
Tomatovillian™

The most interesting type here are the small clusters that are supposed to be Black Brandywine, or so their seeds were labelled by the donor who sent them to me. I've had them for a couple of years now, first time trying them. (I just tried to search/look at it on Tatiana's website but couldn't get in.) Google images show a larger fruit (as I was expecting). Also to my surprise, plant has regular leaves. So maybe this was mislabeled by my donor (a generous individual by the way, so will refrain from ID'ing her here.)
20180818_110735_resized (1).jpg
Around the BBW are a few German Queens, Cuostralee, Sandul Moldovan, and a couple of small Greek tomatoes.

And lastly, 3 of my favorites: BK (top), Striped Sweetheart (bottom) and more BW.
20180818_112015_resized.jpg
Old August 18, 2018   #129
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Bower, WRT yellow tom sauce, I usually mix every thing together, never thought of separating a batch to see what it would be like. That is an intriguing idea, although it would be a bit more overhead (to have separate processing, their own pot ...) But if the batch is sizable (like I may have here) then why not. My wife LOVES SOO, so that would be a real treat and a feast for the eyes.

Thanks for the idea. Let me sleep on it. Tomorrow bright and early I start chopping and squeezing a new batch.
Old August 18, 2018   #130
imp
Tomatovillian™

Taboule, I enjoy seeing the pictures very much, nice eye candy and such good success! My garden just got burnt up this year, so seeing your pictures is a hopeful thing to me.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2018   #131
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden sauce

Thanks Imp, I enjoy capturing and sharing these moments. Come winter, it will be comforting to look back at them. Sorry to hear about your garden, mine is now beginning to show signs of exhaustion, the constant rain and heat have brought in foliage issues. It was bound to happen, especially considering my stubbornness & laziness not to spray.

Talking about heat and rain, I did another large batch of sauce yesterday. Walked to the back yard to empty the tomato scraps and "leavings" and found this.
volunteers.jpg

In my haste I threw the pile of the right before I could react, buried another large patch of seedlings, hundreds of volunteers around a week old.

I acted on Bower's query -or was it a gentle hint and separated the yellow tomatoes for this session. Here it is after pressing in the mill, velvety smooth pulp, mostly Sweet Ozark Orange.
yellow-velvet.jpg

Cooked it down a bit, very small batch. Liquid gold in a jar.
liquid-gold.jpg
Old August 20, 2018   #132
bower
Tomatovillian™

Mmmm...yum..yum!! That color is awesome. And a special treat for your wife!
Old August 20, 2018   #133
imp
Tomatovillian™

What a lovely color!!! And you will get to enjoy it when there are no good tomatoes to be had, too.

Thanks for the sympathy, it's always a learning experience in gardening, though I would have liked something , LOL!! I've pretty much given up on the CG, due to not being able to shade there and the darn rats.

Next spring, I think I will do more in containers here at the house, and get around the problem of tomatoes and pecans that way, plus I can shade or move plants as needed; being right out the door will also make it easier and no rats! Of course, the water bill will go up, but being right here will save me time and gas from going across town, plus if I need to get to shade myself, it's safer for me.

So, for the now, I enjoy reading your posts and looking at all the pictures, the lovely colors in both tomatoes and those gorgeous jars!!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4, 2018   #134
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Default Enjoying the bounty

Greetings All,

It seems like the heat wave and monsoons are behind us for now, the tomato beds took a major hit from the combination: bursting fruit and foliar diseases. But there's still plenty to go around, i processed a very large batch yesterday -finished this morning.

Aside from making sauce and eating fresh, I thought I'd share a few tomato dishes that we enjoy. Starting with the first meal of the day, this one will stick to your ribs.

Lebnan_breakfast.jpg

Chop a handful of tender meat, lamb preferably but beef good too. Sautee in butter & EVOO, when brown, throw in a medium tomato, diced. A minute later, season with allspice, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. Mix, then crack a few eggs on top and cover until the egg-white turns white (keeping the yellow soft.) Breakfast of the champions.

The next one is a lighter variation, from Greece, and one of my wife's favorites. Start by blending/pureeing the tomato, with skin. Cook a bit in oil, reducing gently. Then crack and scramble in the eggs, season to taste. No meat, very fresh and flavorful.
Greek_omelette.jpg
Old September 4, 2018   #135
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Finally, my other veggies started producing, I had poor pollination the past few weeks. I almost gave up checking them until this past weekend. I picked a couple of monster specimens from my eggplants. Here's an Ichiban and a Black Beauty. Placemat is 16in long.
2x-aubergines.jpg

The long ones hide very well in the thick foliage, this one had its bottom end touching the dirt. I also ended up finding and picking a second larger one after I took these pics.
my-arm.jpg

These cukes came from a plant I put out much later, after the nasty beetles had eaten the other first dozen plants. They look fat but very tender and tasty, with small seeds. Floor tiles are 13" long.
assortment.jpg