Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 12, 2017   #121
Randall
Tomatovillian™

A shot of the tomato patch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden 002 (Medium).jpg (124.3 KB, 107 views)
Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #122
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Wow, such a beautiful garden you have.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #123
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

A few thousand tomatoes I think. You do excellent work, and your photography is excellent too.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #124
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Aww, thanks!

I noticed a couple of new Sunflowers opening up out there this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (Medium).jpg (66.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 2 (Medium).jpg (93.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 3 (Medium).jpg (59.5 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 4 (Medium).jpg (53.1 KB, 101 views)
Old July 12, 2017   #125
bower
Tomatovillian™

Randall, give me the scoop on your leaf removal routine with the tomatoes. When do you take away the leaves around the fruit? What is the theory behind that practice?

My greenhouse is a jungle and too crowded and I'm thinking of a major thinning event. The lower fruit definitely need some sunshine but do they still need leaves around them to grow bigger?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #126
Randall
Tomatovillian™

I more or less remove to the first cluster and then after removing 2 or 3 ripe tomatoes at a cluster, I go ahead and prune to the next one. The remaining will blush within a day or two and so on. If that makes sense.

It's fairly aggressive and probably wouldn't work in the high sunshine gardens. I get around 10 hours of sun a day but not every day is sunny. There are stretches like the current one I'm on where it's been cloudy for 4 days and appears it will be that way for 2 or 3 more until some real sun again.

It keeps the plants producing, as far as double stem growing goes. Kind of a greenhouse technique that usually works out in my climate.
Old July 12, 2017   #127
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I more or less remove to the first cluster and then after removing 2 or 3 ripe tomatoes at a cluster, I go ahead and prune to the next one. The remaining will blush within a day or two and so on. If that makes sense.

It's fairly aggressive and probably wouldn't work in the high sunshine gardens. I get around 10 hours of sun a day but not every day is sunny. There are stretches like the current one I'm on where it's been cloudy for 4 days and appears it will be that way for 2 or 3 more until some real sun again.

It keeps the plants producing, as far as double stem growing goes. Kind of a greenhouse technique that usually works out in my climate.

I do the same and I'm always having people ask me what those leafy green "trees" in my garden are. Staked, pruned to two stems, and lower leaves removed as we go through the season, and they do start looking like baby trees.

Your pictures are beautiful!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #128
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
My greenhouse is a jungle and too crowded and I'm thinking of a major thinning event. The lower fruit definitely need some sunshine but do they still need leaves around them to grow bigger?
I haven't noticed tomatoes ripening faster or better by not being shaded. I think this is mostly a way to force the plant to concentrate on growing more.
The most used practice for deleafing is to remove until the cluster where fruit starts to ripen, but they also say to keep about 15-18 leaves on the plant. That doesn't always add up however, unless you have some serious growth. 18 leaves means 6 clusters of flowers/green fruit.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #129
Randall
Tomatovillian™

I never let a tomato ripen on the plant. They're off as soon as they blush and I just keep the whole process moving and try to maintain constant production.

It seems as long as I keep up with pruning/tying they keep cranking out tomatoes and they are usually very nice-sized ones.
Old July 12, 2017   #130
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall View Post
I never let a tomato ripen on the plant. They're off as soon as they blush and I just keep the whole process moving and try to maintain constant production.

It seems as long as I keep up with pruning/tying they keep cranking out tomatoes and they are usually very nice-sized ones.

Sounds like you and I attended the same Tomato growing school! This is exactly how I watched dad grow his tomatoes while growing up, so it's the method I adopted. Dad is still at it as well, although he tends to be a bit more extreme than me with leaf removal. I've lost so many leaves to disease in recent years that I'm still a little leery about taking off healthy ones.

I had never seen a tomato cage in use before my neighbor put in garden beds about seven years ago.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #131
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Randall, would you mind disclosing a little more specifically where you are located in zone 6a? Your vegetation looks like you are in the perfect spot, although I know location isn't the only reason your stuff is so nice.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #132
Randall
Tomatovillian™

@Father'sDaughter In the past, I tried everything from FL Weave to cages on the way to using this method for the last 6 years or so. It gets me tomatoes a couple of weeks earlier and keeps me well ahead of the disease pressure here.

@Salsacharley, I'm in WV, way out in the woods.

Here are a couple of tomatoes.

Lucid Gem, Blackberry, Stump of the World, Brandywine (Sudduth's) and GGWT in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 (Large).jpg (108.2 KB, 95 views)

Last edited by Randall; July 12, 2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old July 12, 2017   #133
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the info Randall and FD!
I sure do like the look of your plants Randall. Great setup.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #134
Randall
Tomatovillian™

Well, I tidied these rows up completely, this evening. Tomorrow evening, I'll throw down another layer of lawn clippings for mulch. Made a temporary fire pit from stone I've dug making this new bed. It's never easy!

Once I got done, I saw this little feller at the other end of the garden. The mother was at the opposite end eating some grass along the fence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 (Large).jpg (240.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (Large).jpg (172.8 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by Randall; July 12, 2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old July 12, 2017   #135
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Had to carry one out of the yard myself a couple weeks ago.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote