Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 29, 2012   #10
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Default A Third way to attach Pea Fence

Raybo and BDank, I wanted to show you my take on your Pea Fence design I am using on my Earth Box. I don't have anywhere to sink the Rebar into the ground since my containers are on concrete. I am using Zip Ties to attach the cage to my Earth Box and a concrete brick on the opposite wind side to keep it from toppling in the wind. I have used this design for 2 seasons and am starting my third one.

Photos below with instructions.

You will start with 1 EB, 2 Gurney's Pea Fences and your Wire Rope Clips following Raybos Design to put them together. You will need your Zip Ties and a Wire Cutting Tool. You will not bend the cage at all, just put it together(see photos 10 and 11 for reference).

Photo 1
Zip Ties tied together to make a ring, use as many as it takes to wrap tightly against the top of EB and add 12 zip ties in a small loop to the ring, I will explain further down the line.

Photo 2
Slip the zip tie ring under the EB being careful not to topple it or spill out your precious rain water as I did.

Photo 3
Place the cage onto the EB and attach a zip tie to one of the extra 12 zip tie loops you added to the zip tie ring and loop this third zip tie to the cage(2 per short side and 4 per long side) making sure you don't fully tighten them until you have all attached and you can tighten them evenly around the EB. The short end of the EB will have the cage on top of it and the long end on each side will have the cage hanging over a small amount.

Photo 4, 5 and 6
Zip Tie is cinched tightly around the cage and attached to the small looped zip tie you attached to the large ring of zip ties.

Photo 7 and 8
Shows all zip ties evenly cinched around the EB with all the zip ties trimmed.

Photo 9
Completed Cage attached to EB with zip ties.

Photo 10, 11 and 12
Two Gurney Pea Fences attached together with Wire Rope Clips according to Raybo's Design.
Cage Rod Overlapping(I did this to keep from being injured by the rods when reaching into the cage, you could make the cage higher if you need to, I only plant indeterminates so don't need the extra 3 inches or so.
Tools needed for assembly of Zip Tie Ring.

*******NOTE:********

At the end of the season, cut only the third zip tie off to remove the cage for easy redo of the EB planting mix and your plantings. Then use just twelve new zip ties to reattach the cage to the EB. I am on my third planting with this design.

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; March 29, 2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added step by step instructions
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote