Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old June 28, 2006   #31
giardiniere
Tomatovillian™

I picked my first Jimmy Nardellos this past Sunday. It was probably 6"-7" long... and it was still green, but I just couldn't stand it any more. I just had to try one. I took it in the house, sliced it open, removed the seeds and popped it in my mouth. Even green it's a winner. I'm ready for some red ones now. Bring 'em on!!
Old July 1, 2006   #32
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Jeanne,

I'm interested to hear what you think of the Tolli's when you eat it. I was thinking about trying that one.
Old July 1, 2006   #33
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michelle....I was just noticing the Tolli's has decent sized fruit already. I think I will like it no matter what if it is early. I have had a few Frank's I have consumed that were green but edible. Franks is such a small, prolific plant I have to pick the first fruits soon as they touch the ground.
I will let you know later how the Tolli's matures. I have only blossoms on Lemme's Italian, and Melrose has just set a few fruit that are miles from ready...
Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #34
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Jeanne! I'll check back to see what you think. I have seeds for Melrose and Jimmy Nardello's but didn't get around to starting either this year.

Sounds like you're growing a lot of frying peppers. I'm looking for one that I like raw as well as cooked. I gave up on bell peppers a long time ago and have been growing pimento types for salads. I still love a sandwich with crusty bread, goat's cheese, grilled frying peppers, zucchini and eggplant! Yum!

Good luck with all your varieties!
Old July 4, 2006   #35
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

A few pics from my non-bell sweet plants:

Lipstick -

Cubanelle -

Jimmy Nardello -

Italia-

Marconi-

Super Shepherd -

Red Belgium -

Old July 5, 2006   #36
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

All of your peppers look super. I am growing Red Belgium for the first time this year, but still at blossom stage.
Jeanne
Old July 26, 2006   #37
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Lemme's Italian has been as prolific as Jimmy Nardello this summer so far....The plant is a little shorter, maybe alot shorter than JN and the peppers look identical, if perhaps a tad shorter. I have been eating many that have sunburnt and they aren't quite as as good but hope to let a few get riper for a fairer comparison.
Since this year I don't have any JN growing I feel a little better compensated now.
Sand Hill lists dtm at 71 and JN at 60 and these are much earlier than I ever had JN before...of course a very hot year and it will be fun to compare them side by side next year. Tolli's and Melrose are lagging behind.

Jeanne
Old October 12, 2006   #38
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Jeanne,

I hope you come back and read this. Now that it's October, I wanted to know what you thought about Melrose and Golden Treasure. Since I already have the seeds for both of those varieties, I was thinking about those two for 2007. Thanks.
Old October 30, 2006   #39
greenie
Tomatovillian™

Hi,

There's a pepper called 'Padron' which sounds like the Italian ones. It's Spanish however from the Galicia region, not Italian, and it's a 'frying' pepper used for tapas. It's usually cooked in the same way, with some garlic, salt and olive oil. If these are the tapas peppers I've had, it's very delicious. I'm going to try growing these.
greenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2006   #40
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Well, I am finally rechecking this thread...Hope my memory doesn't fail me...
Golden Treasure was nice and earlier than I expected...I only had a few before the pepper loving mule deer doe cleaned the plant.
Melrose was the latest of the "regular" frying peppers I grew...The end of the season ones in the cold frame were wonderful...not very productive for me though...My seedlings of Melrose struggled from day one and never seemed to have the vigor they should have...I am going to try them again next year.
Lemme's was my favorite for flavor and production, next Franks...Tollis was less productive and the doe ate it eventually too. Lipstick was late too, which seemed odd.
I grew Padron, and it did well, but I think I prefer the longer frying types.
Red Belgium is an awesome bell if you come across any seeds..I will attempt to save some next year...I know its a bell, but Craig's pictures jogged my memory.
Next year I am planning on Melrose, Jimmy Nardello, Golden Treasure, Franks, and Golden Marconi...plus a few new ventures...
They sure are unbeatable with some red onion and olive oil...

Jeanne
Old October 31, 2006   #41
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Jeanne. Glad you checked back.
Old October 31, 2006   #42
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am growing Lipstick (thanks for the seed Craig) and Franks (thanks also Jeanne) in my greenhouse now. Franks has fruited, Lipstick is pretty close. Here are current photos today.

Here is Franks. Franks is 7 inches tall.

Here is Lipstick. Lipstick is 12 inches tall.

Old November 1, 2006   #43
Grub
Tomatovillian™

I have been following this thread. A very good thread it is, too.

I called my seed supplier today. Much of this stuff has now been ordered.

Thanks Grub who lerrrvs capsicums or sweet peppers.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2006   #44
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michael....They both look good. The first fruits of Franks outgrow the plant and lay on the dirt if not picked early...It is really a nice producer...I am going to try Lipstick again this year, and hope for much earlier fruit.

Jeanne
Old November 1, 2006   #45
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am going to try several other sweet peppers next year. Franks is nice and compact, I think Lipstick will be also. I am going to try some others-still thinking which ones.