Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old January 7, 2011   #1
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Default Onions/Links/Pests

This year I would like to plant onions and leeks. I have moved my raised beds and may not have enough room inside the fence that encloses them. So, I am thinking of planting my onions and leeks in an area that I had pumpkins last year. Soil should be good, but it is not fenced in. Do you think I will have trouble with deer, etc. eating the onions and leeks or should they be fairly safe.
Thanks much!
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011   #2
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Even though onions might not be a favorite..Deer will eat just about anything if they are hungry..other critters might like to peck on the plants or even dig them up..like my chickens did last year!

Be safe rather than sorry!!
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i think you are ok. in my experience deer eat just about anything, didn't they eat your pumpkins? when i planted pumpkins out back and let them come thru the garden fence onto the lawn the deer ate them in both places. my fence is only 28" high so they do walk thru the garden but usually eat very little! but i know others that have terrible problems with deer eating everything.

that said, just about nothing bothers onions or garlic, not familiar with leeks or shallots as i never grew them. there is an insect that can bother onions, forget the name, but that's about it. so i'd feel safe growing them outside your fence. you can put a temporary fence around them if need be. i use crw to cover my garlic in fall and my onions when i plant them out in spring so the deer do not walk thru the beds inadvertently. i bend the crw 12" from each end to raise it and lay it over the bed. i use 2 pieces, the beds are 12-14' X 5'. now if your onion bed is wider than 5' you might want to use an additional piece of crw. if chickens are a problem i suspect the crw will keep them away too.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2011   #4
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your replies...now that I think about it, there are wild turkeys too. The deer bothered the batwing pumpkins and I eventually fenced them in. The turkeys carved out places for themselves to sit during the night or at least it looked like it.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2011   #5
yopper
Tomatovillian™

I have an electric fence around my gardens as the deer and other critters here will eat most any thing that isn't fenced in.It sounds like the turkeys are using your garden to dust them self as they normaly roost off the ground in trees. GOOD LUCK TO YA ! YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote