Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 4, 2013   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
Carolyn,

Don't know, just guessing, but I suspect Bill might not want to mention
specific vendor(s). I know you know how bashful he is!

If one is interested in purchasing seeds, Cherokee Lime Stripes (as well
as Cherokee Yellow) are available commercially--one may google
Cherokee Lime Stripes. I haven't purchased them but they sure do
look appealing.

I love the GWR's too but they sure aren't popular around here. I took a
bunch of mixed heirlooms to the marina a couple of years ago on a Friday
afternoon for people who stay the weekend on their boats, included
several Cherokee Green (told everyone how great they were).
Went back on Monday and there was a pile of CG on the dock picnic table.
Also in the pile were all the Wessel's Purple Pride. All pink, reds, orange
were gone.

Hope this helps anyone who is intrigued by these varieties. Darlene
Darlene, I already mentioned the Cherokee Lime Striped one in the GWRipe thread:

(Bill, I can find a commercial seed source for what's called Cherokee Green Stripes,which has a different origin from the original Cherokee Lime.)

Do you know of a commercial source for Cherokee Lime seeds? A Google search brings up nothing and the SSE2013 Yearbook has no listing for it and Tania doesn't either.)

nd Bill answered me in the other thread as to availabiity which I guess you saw, maybe not.

Anyone interested in the striped version can Google the commercial source for that variety.

As for me, I'm confused, not uncommon,, going back and forth between this thread that Ami put up, and the continuation of info in the GWRipe thread.

If that was my only confusion, life would be grand.

Carolyn
Old May 4, 2013   #17
travis
Tomatovillian™

I am not aware of a variety called Cherokee Green Stripes or Cherokee Green Striped. And I assume it is not derived from Cherokee Lime. If it is, then it's a rename, because Cherokee Lime has not been available long enough to ... whatever it is that happens.

I am aware of Cherokee Lime Stripes or Cherokee Lime Striped, it came from seeds I sent to another grower, and is the result of a bee-cross in my garden to one of my Cherokee Lime plants. However, when trying to increase the seeds this year, I only got a couple of feeble sprouts. So, that will have to wait 'til the future, unless you get seeds from someone else.

Cherokee Lime occurred as follows:

Cherokee Purple >> Cherokee Chocolate >> Cherokee Green >> Golden Cherokee >> Cherokee Lemon >> Cherokee Lime.

I can only list the known seed parent lines, and I can only surmise as to whether the lineage is due to mutations or outcrosses. But that is a discussion that already took a left turn some time ago.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I am not aware of a variety called Cherokee Green Stripes or Cherokee Green Striped. And I assume it is not derived from Cherokee Lime. If it is, then it's a rename, because Cherokee Lime has not been available long enough to ... whatever it is that happens.

I am aware of Cherokee Lime Stripes or Cherokee Lime Striped, it came from seeds I sent to another grower, and is the result of a bee-cross in my garden to one of my Cherokee Lime plants. However, when trying to increase the seeds this year, I only got a couple of feeble sprouts. So, that will have to wait 'til the future, unless you get seeds from someone else.

Cherokee Lime occurred as follows:

Cherokee Purple >> Cherokee Chocolate >> Cherokee Green >> Golden Cherokee >> Cherokee Lemon >> Cherokee Lime.

I can only list the known seed parent lines, and I can only surmise as to whether the lineage is due to mutations or outcrosses. But that is a discussion that already took a left turn some time ago.
Bill, if you look at my post above to Darlene I started out mentioning Cherokee Lime Stripes, but then kind of morphed into Cherokee Green on the brain/

So my error on saying Green when I should have said Lime, but did say Cherokee Lime Stripes first in that post. And in a post above I also said that folks could Google Cherokee Lime Stripes tofind the commercial source for it if they wished to.

When I'm absolutely perfect I'll start a thread in the 2 cents Forum, saying so.

I think you're saying I should just ask Ami for seeds. Correct? I wouldn't need them or want them until early next year for a 2014 growout. So let's wait until around Xmas to take this up again.

Carolyn, delighted to hear that we, Verizon and myself, might be getting closer to solving the DSL problem if the request to use a backhoe to dig up my stub is approved. The current idea is that I'm getting reflection back to me from up the road from me. I love learning new things but don 't anyone ask me to explain any of this Verizon/DSL stuff including the e-mails I'm getting from Asia that are written in either Japanese or Chinese. Perhaps my DSL modem can translate those, but not me.
Old May 5, 2013   #19
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I would be more than happy to give you seeds for C-Lime.
Old May 5, 2013   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
Carolyn, I would be more than happy to give you seeds for C-Lime.
I accept with pleasure Ted. And it reminds me that I think you were one of the first, if not the first, non-US persons to join Tville back in 2006. I'd sent you seeds for several varieties and you reciprocated by sending me some wonderful German chocolates.

Do you remember?

But there's no sense in my sending you chocolate in return so I'll send you some thanks seeds in the Fall when I know how seed production with my new ones has turned out.

And of course that would hopefully include seeds for the Delano Green Ripe that I mentioned above, since I'm all for spreading that one around as best I can.

Carolyn, who had some Belcolade chocolate wafers, from Belgium, for breakfast, good diabetic that she is.