Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 27, 2011   #16
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Send you PM goldie
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2011   #17
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Normally the cost to send a letter to Germany is under a dollar. Ami
Old February 27, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhammerlane View Post
So how many stamps do we need to put on for sending to Germany and Poland?
Lil, I don't know how many seed packets you want to send to either Poland or Germany but I discussed this all in my post #2 in this thread.

The short answer is one 98 cent stamp if sending up to 6 packs of may be 25 seeds each in a small business envelope and more if sending up to 12 in a large business envelope, maybe slap a 44 cent one with the 98 cent one and more if sending seeds in a padded mailer in which case I let the PO tell me the cost.

You can always get up to date info at the USPS website and I also noted that prices are going up on April 17 th when I went to the USPS site, for both Canada and Europe and beyond.

here's the USPS website

http://www.usps.com/

Look at the right handclick for postage prices, I think that's where I click to get up to date info.
Old February 27, 2011   #19
lilhammerlane
Tomatovillian™

Ok thanks Carolyn
lilhammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #20
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I read this thread with a bit of interest as since joining TV, I've had more orders to other countries.

First I want to say I send all my orders in a 6x10 bubble envelope with a customs form properly filled out.

So far no one has complained that they didn't get an order tho some can be slow. Mainly those to Canada. But that's another story.

In the past I've mainly sent just to Canada and the UK. But this year I sent to Japan and Poland and a couple of other countries.

I know I sent at least 1 to Italy tho that didn't make it. It was sent on 11/9/10 and came back in my mail box TODAY 2/28/11 marked "non admis - non ammesso". Where it was for almost 4 months is beyond me. I refunded the buyer minus the postage I spent.

What surprises me tho is that the buyer never contacted me wondering where his package was. It's probably a known risk.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #21
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I read this thread with a bit of interest as since joining TV, I've had more orders to other countries.

First I want to say I send all my orders in a 6x10 bubble envelope with a customs form properly filled out.

So far no one has complained that they didn't get an order tho some can be slow. Mainly those to Canada. But that's another story.

In the past I've mainly sent just to Canada and the UK. But this year I sent to Japan and Poland and a couple of other countries.

I know I sent at least 1 to Italy tho that didn't make it. It was sent on 11/9/10 and came back in my mail box TODAY 2/28/11 marked "non admis - non ammesso". Where it was for almost 4 months is beyond me. I refunded the buyer minus the postage I spent.

What surprises me tho is that the buyer never contacted me wondering where his package was. It's probably a known risk.

Carol
Carol, Thanks for the "Blue" my Son said the seed arrived. I too had two shipments to Italy that were returned. And I have to say, other than Mexico, I have had no other problems accept those seeds going to Canada which apparently, upon leaving Wyoming VIA Pony Express, are carried on a moose being led by a Mountie over the Canadian Rockies in the dead of winter taking FOREVER to get where they are going!!! I am really glad to get the sunflowers. I always plant a big "bird" garden and I have a nice spot picked out in my 2 acre plot in Mexico.
Old February 28, 2011   #22
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Nangisha - I mailed seed to you today and the postage was only $.98. Hopefully it will also come quickly.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2011   #23
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post

Carol
Carol, let me make a suggestion.

I don't know why you're using such a large padded mailer unless you're sending maybe 20-30 seed packets.

If you put a customs label on such a large padded mailer it's just going to draw the attention of some customs persons somewhere.

I don't think there's any need at all to attach that green customs label .

Over the years I think I've sent seeds to, well, I can't remember how many countries and have never had anything returned at all.

When it was still possible to send tomato seeds to Australia and I had to send a lot of packs to Patrina for distribution there I did attach the customs label and inside I addressed a letter saying, dear customs persons, and went on to list every single tomato variety I was sending. And never a problem.

The only places right now, as I said above, where you cannot send seeds to are Australia and the Netherlands.

For up to 6 packs of seed just use a small business envelope with the 98 cent stamp and the larger size business envelope with a 98 cent stamp and add another 44 cent stamp or maybe a bit more. I'd have to go to that USPS site I linked to above to see what the additional postage is for letters over one oz, but it isn't much.

And you saw how I padded your seeds when I sent them to you and that works just fine in terms of preventing crushing of seeds in the USPS rollers. I can't remember if you were here when that whole business came up about crushed seeds but I did a wee experiment sending seeds to two folks, padding seeds in one envelope and not in the other to the same person, of the same variety, and no problem with the seeds just padded as I sent to you and others re the seed offer.

The data from that experiment, the germination results, was also posted here at Tville, it was Orange Minsk that I used, but I have no idea where that thread is.

I will not mention the Canadian Postal system, well, I just did.
Old March 1, 2011   #24
dice
Tomatovillian™

I expect that seeds to Israel would get close inspection, too.
Old March 1, 2011   #25
King Carrot
Tomatovillian™

Many people/companies dealing with Italy will only send registered/recorded mail as things seem to have a good chance of vanishing and I've never heard of anything coming back to the sender either
King Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #26
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
I expect that seeds to Israel would get close inspection, too.
I've sent seeds to Israel and they arrived just fine. I also know someone in Italy got tomato seeds from Poland quickly and without problems. As Italy is a member of the EU etc. customs have no right to control letters. If anyone is having trouble with Italy or the Netherlands, another EU country (like Germany or Poland) can be used as an intermediate destination. I've received seeds from Carolyn and Carol and others in the States, and never had any problems.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2011   #27
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
Nangisha - I mailed seed to you today and the postage was only $.98. Hopefully it will also come quickly.
Thanks Mark ...........I will waiting for Mr postman.

Tam91 live in IL maybe thats give a clue.
Old March 1, 2011   #28
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

That order to Italy that came back was a fairly large order, about 15-20 packs with about 50+ seeds each.

But I could pack things smaller for some of the suspect countries. And without the customs forms I suppose. The odd thing is I'm pretty sure that was the second order to that same customer in Italy. So the first order must have gotten thru.

The 6x10 bubble is my standard packing material. I buy them in 250 count boxes to get a good price on them.

I was around for the seed crush test and that's partly why I use a padded envelope. But I've always used something like that in part because even tho I'm a small company, I want to look as professional as I can with my product.

In the future I will ask foreign customers if there might be any issues with customs and adjust my shipping accordingly.

I forgot to mention that I sent several orders to a member here in Sweden without any problems at all.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2011   #29
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Carol, let me make a suggestion.

I don't know why you're using such a large padded mailer unless you're sending maybe 20-30 seed packets.

If you put a customs label on such a large padded mailer it's just going to draw the attention of some customs persons somewhere.

I don't think there's any need at all to attach that green customs label .

Over the years I think I've sent seeds to, well, I can't remember how many countries and have never had anything returned at all.

When it was still possible to send tomato seeds to Australia and I had to send a lot of packs to Patrina for distribution there I did attach the customs label and inside I addressed a letter saying, dear customs persons, and went on to list every single tomato variety I was sending. And never a problem.

The only places right now, as I said above, where you cannot send seeds to are Australia and the Netherlands.

For up to 6 packs of seed just use a small business envelope with the 98 cent stamp and the larger size business envelope with a 98 cent stamp and add another 44 cent stamp or maybe a bit more. I'd have to go to that USPS site I linked to above to see what the additional postage is for letters over one oz, but it isn't much.

And you saw how I padded your seeds when I sent them to you and that works just fine in terms of preventing crushing of seeds in the USPS rollers. I can't remember if you were here when that whole business came up about crushed seeds but I did a wee experiment sending seeds to two folks, padding seeds in one envelope and not in the other to the same person, of the same variety, and no problem with the seeds just padded as I sent to you and others re the seed offer.

The data from that experiment, the germination results, was also posted here at Tville, it was Orange Minsk that I used, but I have no idea where that thread is.

I will not mention the Canadian Postal system, well, I just did.
The size really matters I am from post office asking for my packet thats I buy from seed company and they told the seed still in mailing processing center, when i got there they told me to custom.

Custom said I need to go ask letter from Dept of Agriculture. So I spent 4 hours there and realize I will never get the seed without Vito sanitary, Letter of Agreement from Minister of agriculture and lab test, I had to fulfill it all 14 days which is impossible.

Its made me really disappointed to see thats 28 variety OP variety had to send back or they will destroy it. thinking the seed will burn and imagine what kind fruit its will produce really broken my heart so I decide to send it back. .

Like I said before I got seed from others member and its in small bubble envelope 5x7,5 inch and only hand write. I receive it safely. But today I see thats brown envelope with company logo in the corner and each seed packet individually its look really professional, the size twice the first one.

So sending seed to Indonesia without thats all requirement its consider smuggling except if we smart enough to decoy them.

Does any one has smart way to smuggling seed???? .
Old March 2, 2011   #30
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I've sent a number of orders abroad this spring and only a couple didn't arrive on the first try.
One package to Italy was opened and the seeds taken out of the packet. I remailed it and the second order arrived intact. I use first class international mail and the cost is .98 to 1.44 depending on where its headed. As far as Canada goes, it might as well be the most remote place on Earth.

Lee
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote